And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2013, 02:27:27 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 22, 2013, 02:23:10 PM
Yeah, if you were legitimately in the uncivilized parts of Brazil you'd have to be a super nerdy anthropologist or some nature freak to enjoy that shit.

Nah, nothing like that.

I was in Salvador, Bahia.  It was very hot and very poor.

Sounds like you were disappointed :console:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

ulmont

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 22, 2013, 02:47:06 PM
What's the deal with calling the bombs weapons of mass destruction? Seems like it opens the door to calling every drone strike or mortar round as a WMD too.

Oh, certainly.

18 USC § 2332a - Use of weapons of mass destruction
Quote(c) Definitions.— For purposes of this section—
(2) the term "weapon of mass destruction" means—
(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title;
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or
(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life;
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2332a

(B)-(C) (chemical, biological, and nuclear) look fine.  But what's a "destructive device"?

Quote(4) The term "destructive device" means—
(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas—
(i) bomb,
(ii) grenade,
(iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
(iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
(v) mine, or
(vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;
(B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
(C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

Whee.  I believe DoD has a separate definition for their purposes, but this is the one relevant to the Boston thing.

See also:
http://www.popehat.com/2013/04/22/thoughts-on-the-tsarneav-complaint/

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2013, 01:21:29 PM
:hmm: Reported.  :ph34r:
Your filthy laws don't apply here.  We won the war of 1812 and remained a free people rather than a sickening slave state.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2013, 03:00:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2013, 02:27:27 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 22, 2013, 02:23:10 PM
Yeah, if you were legitimately in the uncivilized parts of Brazil you'd have to be a super nerdy anthropologist or some nature freak to enjoy that shit.

Nah, nothing like that.

I was in Salvador, Bahia.  It was very hot and very poor.

Sounds like you were disappointed :console:

It was very... interesting.  Met some really very nice people, saw some beautiful beaches, visited a part of the world I never would have thought to visit.

And now I have little to no intention of ever going back again. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2013, 05:09:44 PMIt was very... interesting.  Met some really very nice people, saw some beautiful beaches, visited a part of the world I never would have thought to visit.

Your heart belongs to Northern Canada, eh?

derspiess

Sheilbh

That's 1806 :contract:

I was there for the bicentenary. They celebrated with historical re-enactment :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Did guys used to stuff rags in their pants, or did they just paint them like that?

Ed Anger

Look at a portrait of Ney. He's packing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Baldheaded Limey looks like Ms. Uniboob from the Canadian parliament.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2013, 05:33:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2013, 05:09:44 PMIt was very... interesting.  Met some really very nice people, saw some beautiful beaches, visited a part of the world I never would have thought to visit.

Your heart belongs to Northern Canada, eh?

Well, obviously. :wub:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".