And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 02:32:13 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 19, 2013, 02:26:36 PM
Should I merge this with the bombing thread, since they have complete overlap now?

This thread is about breakfast foods.

And old geezer Ed Angerbutt
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
Graphic warning: redundant

My first guess would be that's no wound, that's where they popped his chest to resuscitate him since he came in already in cardiac arrest--after all, it's covered with Betadine.  It's a standard trauma procedure, even if they know the patient's 10-7.

But from what I remember, they don't usually crack the chest there;  it's farther up the chest, so they can hand massage the heart by almost pulling it out up by the armpit.

Then again, I haven't been in a trauma center for a loooong time, so who knows what they do now.

Martinus

Good job, Chechens. Way to garner international support for your cause.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 02:29:09 PM
They don't seem like fundy islamists, and they don't seem like marginalized nutjobs.

That is a real problem isnt it.  People within the US/North America becoming radicalized and not having to go overseas for that to happen.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2013, 02:29:09 PM
They don't seem like fundy islamists, and they don't seem like marginalized nutjobs.

Yet.  Who knows what will be found.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2013, 02:35:29 PM
It's not like they had a whole lot of that even before this.  Repeated acts of extreme violence against innocent civilians and all that. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 02:34:27 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
Graphic warning: redundant

My first guess would be that's no wound, that's where they popped his chest to resuscitate him since he came in already in cardiac arrest--after all, it's covered with Betadine.  It's a standard trauma procedure, even if they know the patient's 10-7.

But from what I remember, they don't usually crack the chest there;  it's farther up the chest, so they can hand massage the heart by almost pulling it out up by the armpit.

Then again, I haven't been in a trauma center for a loooong time, so who knows what they do now.

Interesting, thanks. I was unaware they'd bother with anything like that in this case.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

The father said some stuff, but the uncle down here in Maryland is talking.  Not a big fan.

QuoteAn uncle of the two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing delivered an emotional interview in front of his Montgomery Village home on Friday, calling his nephews "losers" while imploring one who fled an early morning police standoff that left the other dead to turn himself in.

As the nation sought to learn anything it could about the men who allegedly carried out the deadly attack this week, the uncle Ruslan Tsarni said he first learned that his nephews were suspects when he saw their picture on AOL Friday morning. The young men have been identified by police as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26.

Speaking over the loud chopping sounds of helicopters hovering over his home, Tsarni offered condolences to the three people killed in Monday's attack that also left more than 100 injured.

"I've been following [the story] from day one but never ever imagined that somehow the children of my brother would be associated with that," Tsarni said. "It is an atrocity. We are devastated. We're shocked. We've not been in touch with that family for a number of years. They never lived here. I never knew, and even if I would have guessed something, I would have submitted them myself."

Tsarni said that for personal reasons he has not seen his nephews since December 2005. He said he didn't believe they had any ties to terrorist or extremist groups but spoke in disparaging terms about them.

Asked what he believed provoked the two men accused in the attack, Tsarni said: "Being losers, hatred to those who were able to settle themselves, these are the only reasons I can imagine. Anything else, anything else to do with religion is a fraud. It's a fake. We're Muslims. We're ethnic Chechyans."

Asked if he believed the suspects had training, Tsarni said: "If that happened, most likely. Somebody radicalized them. But it's not my brother, who spent his life bringing bread to their table, fixing cars. He's been working."

Tsarni said he hasn't spoken to his brother since 2009.

"My family has nothing to do with that family," he said. "Of course we're ashamed. Yes, we're ashamed. These are children of my brother, who has little influence over them. Honestly, as much as I know, had little influence of them."

Asked why he hasn't had any contact with the family, Tsarni said: "It's personal. I just wanted my family to be away from them."

Tsarni said one of the suspects was born in Kyrgyzstan and that his brother's family moved to the Boston area in 2003, receiving asylum in the United States. He said the suspects "put a shame" on his family and "the entire ethnicity."

"If you're alive, turn yourself in and ask for forgiveness," said Tsarni, surrounded by reporters and TV cameras, to Dzhokhar.

Alvi Tsarni, another uncle, who lives about a mile from Ruslan Tsarni, said he had not talked to the suspects' families for several years because of problems in the family that began with a disagreement over the phone between the wives of his brothers.

"Yesterday he called me and said forgive me," Alvi Tsarni said of Tamerlan during a televised interview.

Hours after that call, the Tamerlan was dead.

As Alvi Tsarni returned to his house later in the afternoon, he retrieved his mail while listening to radio coverage of the manhunt and spoke to reporters again. He said he knew nothing more than what's been made public and is "very sorry all of the people died."

Alvi Tsarni added that he did not know what could have motivated the suspects. He expects Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to be killed by authorities, as his brother was.

Neighbors described Alvi Tsarni as a kind, friendly man who moved into a Montgomery Village townhome community about five years ago. They said he appeared to live alone, run a car repair service and do handyman work.

"He was friendly, and really kept to himself," said next door neighbor Nicole Cashaw, 30. "He was very straight and narrow. He did a lot of work for people around the neighborhood."

Cashaw and other neighbors said they were stunned to learn their little lane of town homes had a connection to the Boston Marathon bombing.

"I'm sure he's shocked too. I feel bad for him, neighbor Nadia Evans, 30, said. "It's unbelievable that something that happened so far away could be connected to us."

Evans' boyfriend John Fletcher said Tsarni gave him an expensive leather coat for Christmas last year when it no longer fit Tsarni properly.

"It's a small world," Fletcher said. "We are all one community is what it brings home for you."

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2013, 02:35:29 PM

Beslan took care of that.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2013, 02:53:40 PM
Interesting, thanks. I was unaware they'd bother with anything like that in this case.

It's simply procedural.  A lot of cases, they do it so the residents have some practice with it, even if it's already a done deal.