Kerry says U.S. ready to "reach out" to North Korea

Started by Strix, April 14, 2013, 01:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

The correct attitude toward NK by the US should be: bring it on!

at the very least ignore them completely once some kind of military buildup is done. This fucking thing must end one of these days, and it might as well can end now to ignite some wartime spending for all the Keynesians out there :P

Razgovory

It's the Koreans (South), who are going to have shoulder the burden here.  I imagine we should let them lead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

The only thing worse than having a politician figure out military strategy is to have a wargamer figure out strategy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2013, 07:13:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2013, 06:03:29 PM
:lol: Rationalize much?
You saw how well Iraq went over.  I'd rather us be the Good Guys this time around.
If your plan is for Europeans to love America, it would make more sense for you to focus on destroying America so that it becomes weak and poor.  Their peculiar morality is that weakness makes right.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2013, 07:49:03 AM
If your plan is for Europeans to love America, it would make more sense for you to focus on destroying America so that it becomes weak and poor.  Their peculiar morality is that weakness makes right.

Luckily that isn't my plan.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 16, 2013, 08:03:30 AM
So, by 'good guys' you just mean 'have a Democrat for president'?  Then why go through all the diplomatic effort?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on April 16, 2013, 07:41:45 AM
The only thing worse than having a politician figure out military strategy is to have a wargamer figure out strategy.

I pile all Waffen SS divisions into one big stack.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2013, 08:06:07 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 16, 2013, 08:03:30 AM
So, by 'good guys' you just mean 'have a Democrat for president'?  Then why go through all the diplomatic effort?

I'm more concerned about regional players. This is the Pacific.  It's ours.
You can mock Europeans about this issue, but I'd rather ignore them.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2013, 11:18:22 PM
Why do you think Kerry would have had specific acts in mind if the statement had been intended for North Korea?
Because I think if the US had really decided to reach out to North Korea it would've been decided by Obama. His message would be from Obama and it'd be clear he was speaking for the US government. Kerry wouldn't have to go back to Washington to check.

That suggests to me there's no shift, he's not been sent to reach out to North Korea. I think it was in response to a question and I think, given that he was about to go to China, that chances are he was told to sound more emollient without actually changing anything. Which is what he did.
Let's bomb Russia!