Kerry says U.S. ready to "reach out" to North Korea

Started by Strix, April 14, 2013, 01:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 09:45:01 PM
So you think Obama was following the wrong strategy?  Your God-King was wrong???

I don't see him following any "wrong" strategy at all.  Where exactly is this deviation in US policy you're seeing?

And no, your hyperbolic hallucinations of "wimping out" or whatever doesn't count.

derspiess

I'm still hoping your slavish devotion to Obama is a shtick.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Answer the question, Mr. Ambassador.  Don't wait for the translation.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 10:11:01 PM

Well you apparently thought it unwise to follow the strategy he had been following until a few days ago.  I think putting the pressure on NK was the right thing to do. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 10:09:51 PM

We all know your hatred of the man isn't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 10:14:45 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 10:11:01 PM

Well you apparently thought it unwise to follow the strategy he had been following until a few days ago.  I think putting the pressure on NK was the right thing to do.

I'm still waiting for you to explain where you think he went wrong "a few days ago".

Or is this all Kerry Swiftie Hate left over from '04?

Jacob

Seems to me the response has been perfectly consistent.

Kim ramps up the overheated rhetoric and the US moves assets around to clearly signal that if the rhetoric turns to action, the US will offer a robust response.

Kim turns the rhetoric down a bit and refrains from doing something irreversible for a while; the US says "if you're prepared to be reasonable, maybe we can talk."

Meanwhile, whether it's a result of anything the US has done or it's an internal Chinese thing, the States have China aligned their way more than ever. So far, Kim hasn't gotten anything for his tantrums and there's been no disasters. Seems a pretty solid outcome so far.

CountDeMoney

Unfortunately, China's not going to do shit in the long run.  It's all lip service.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2013, 10:17:33 PM

Believe it or not, I'd love to have more common ground with Obama.  Gets kinda tiring after a while to have to disagree with him all the time.  Just like with Clinton-- though thankfully with him I had NAFTA and welfare reform as a nice change of pace.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 10:28:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2013, 10:17:33 PM

Believe it or not, I'd love to have more common ground with Obama.  Gets kinda tiring after a while to have to disagree with him all the time.  Just like with Clinton-- though thankfully with him I had NAFTA and welfare reform as a nice change of pace.

Well, you could just stop being wrong.  That would fix the problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 10:19:07 PM
I'm still waiting for you to explain where you think he went wrong "a few days ago".

Canceling the missile test, you goof. 

QuoteOr is this all Kerry Swiftie Hate left over from '04?

Hey, as bad as Lurch is I'm just grateful we didn't have to send Susan Rice over to Asia <shudder>.

derspiess

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 10:26:27 PM
Unfortunately, China's not going to do shit in the long run.  It's all lip service.

My money is on "internal reasons" rather than "lip service". I have no actual clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the outgoing leaders with a descending star - say a Zhou Yongkang - had North Korean relations as their fief and pawn, and that the downgrading is either a deliberate signal or evidence of their loss of influence. Or maybe Kim was rude to the wrong person or something.

Personal relationships and the internal manoeuvres of power blocks counts for a lot in Chinese politics; it's my go to explanation for everything if I don't have hard info to the contrary.

Razgovory

Exactly what are the great crimes of the Obama administration then, Derspeiss?  Which Freedoms has he taken from us?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 10:32:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2013, 10:29:35 PM
Well, you could just stop being wrong.  That would fix the problem.

So, so witty.

:hmm:

I don't believe that was an attempt at wit, but rather an earnest entreaty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?