Kerry says U.S. ready to "reach out" to North Korea

Started by Strix, April 14, 2013, 01:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

How exactly is that being more conciliatory? It's the same line we've been taking since grandpa was in power.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2013, 09:44:06 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2013, 09:39:16 PM
Being more conciliatory = wussing out. And I'm not picking on Obama. Clinton and Bush did the same damned thing.

Clinton was very close to ordering a pre-emptive strike in 1994 against the Yongbyon facility in North Korea, and we only know that from declassified documents.  You don't know what's on the burner these days.

And Clinton ended up sending a groveling letter to Bedhead.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2013, 10:35:35 PM
How exactly is that being more conciliatory? It's the same line we've been taking since grandpa was in power.

It's a softening of the stronger rhetoric we had been using until just recently.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2013, 10:40:19 PM
Being more conciliatory = wussing out. And I'm not picking on Obama. Clinton and Bush did the same damned thing.

Clinton was very close to ordering a pre-emptive strike in 1994 against the Yongbyon facility in North Korea, and we only know that from declassified documents.  You don't know what's on the burner these days.

Tell us how you'd play it, President Foetus.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 14, 2013, 10:50:38 PM

Don't know how derspiess would play it, but my inclination would be to glass over most of the area between the 38th parallel* and the Yalu.

* And yes, I know the current "border" isn't exactly along the line of latitude;  I was being poetic.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2013, 10:41:32 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2013, 10:35:35 PM

It's a softening of the stronger rhetoric we had been using until just recently.

Talk is cheap.  Who cares if it's strong or weak?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on April 14, 2013, 10:59:25 PM

Don't know how derspiess would play it, but my inclination would be to glass over most of the area between the 38th parallel* and the Yalu.

* And yes, I know the current "border" isn't exactly along the line of latitude;  I was being poetic.

Okay, outside of a video game how would you play it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2013, 02:35:33 PM
"Give us a gesture--any kind of gesture--and we'll feed your army for another three years."
I don't see it.

First I don't think this was aimed at North Korea. It was while he was visiting the region and about to go to China. I think the target of this was Beijing.

Secondly, that last line, 'now how many and how much I want to have a discussion with folks back in Washington (about)... but they have to take action', makes it sound like it was a response to a journalist's question. So I suspect he's speaking off the cuff rather than making a statement, or a speech where he says the US wants to 'reach out'. If that was the case, and if this was aimed at North Korea, I suspect he'd have rather specific ideas about what North Korea needed to do.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

Apart from launching preemptive strikes, which doesn't seem to be a realistic option at this point, what better options are available in terms of regional stability other than indicting a continued openness for dialogue?

derspiess

Exactly how the Administration was playing it, up until a few days ago.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 09:34:32 PM

Eternal escalation?  Constant asset deployment?  Tit for tat forever and ever and ever?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2013, 09:42:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2013, 09:34:32 PM

Eternal escalation?  Constant asset deployment?  Tit for tat forever and ever and ever?

So you think Obama was following the wrong strategy?  Your God-King was wrong???

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive