News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languishing Yet Again (VQ game)

Started by Solmyr, April 09, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

I'm ready; Habakku can start.  I will be on the road today, so may be a bit delayed in responding.

Habbaku

Ottomans offer peace to the Spanish in exchange for a card draw.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Spain accepts the offer.

Spain offers an alliance to the French.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Viking on April 21, 2013, 11:35:24 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 21, 2013, 11:04:26 AM
Ottomans offer peace to the Spanish in exchange for a card draw.

?

Don't worry viking, I would never use you lying to me and betraying me as a pretext to make peace with the nation that should be our common enemy and coordinate with them to crush you just on general principles.

I just don't play that way.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2013, 01:55:23 PM
Don't worry viking, I would never use you lying to me and betraying me as a pretext to make peace with the nation that should be our common enemy and coordinate with them to crush you just on general principles.

Of course isn't that one of the complaints about how human players often "ruin" any game that tries to simulate historical diplomacy? Unlike nations over the course of years/decades, a human player is much more unforgiving of any stabs in the back (or failure to act as agreed upon) and likely to carry that throughout any future games played (as you so indicated earlier).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2013, 02:44:15 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2013, 01:55:23 PM

Of course isn't that one of the complaints about how human players often "ruin" any game that tries to simulate historical diplomacy? Unlike nations over the course of years/decades, a human player is much more unforgiving of any stabs in the back (or failure to act as agreed upon) and likely to carry that throughout any future games played (as you so indicated earlier).

That goes without saying about any game though.

Even non-diplo games, right? I mean, if we play a game, I am going to remember how you played in the last game, and that will inform how I play the next game.

When it comes to games that involve diplomacy that requires trust, it would be stupid for me to forget that viking cannot be trusted under any circumstances..

0 rows returned

Viking

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2013, 03:06:34 PM

When it comes to games that involve diplomacy that requires trust, it would be stupid for me to forget that viking cannot be trusted under any circumstances..

Yes, and this will be demonstrated in the upcoming diplo phase where NOBODY will make any deals with me that depend on my trustworthiness to deliver some later boon.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

But is that a fair conclusion? One broken promise means he can never be trusted?

Surely, as you say with other games, you take into account how an opponent might play but that needn't lead to absolutes unless your opponent is really a one note player.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

Maximus

England offers 2 mercs to the HRE

Berkut

Quote from: Viking on April 21, 2013, 03:16:07 PM

Yes, and this will be demonstrated in the upcoming diplo phase where NOBODY will make any deals with me that depend on my trustworthiness to deliver some later boon.

Meh, I don't control anyone else, just myself. If other people trust you, good for them, and you. Certainly I don't refuse to deal with people who break their agreements with others - I don't even know enough about others agreements to evaluate whether the breaking was for a good reason or not. I know everything there is to know about *our* agreement though, and if you were willing to lie to me about that, then there is no reason to believe that you will ever deal in good faith again.

My rules are simple. I don't make deals with people who break them with me without some very compelling reason. Other people can, and are welcome to, apply their own rules.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2013, 03:39:10 PM

But is that a fair conclusion? One broken promise means he can never be trusted?

It is both a conclusion and a way of doing business. How many times would you let someone lie to you before you decide not to trust them anymore?

Surely, as you say with other games, you take into account how an opponent might play but that needn't lead to absolutes unless your opponent is really a one note player.

Of course. But when it comes to diplomacy that involves making agreements with each other, there really is a matter of it being pointless if you don't know if the other person is simply going to refuse to honor what they said they would do.

Viking didn't break any rules of the game. But he made it clear that his word is worthless, and he has no problem taking something from someone and then simply refusing to give what was offered in return. How can I make any deal with him in the future if I know that in reality he won't actually come through if he decides he simply doesn't want to anymore? And then is likely in a fit of pique to just make plays that actively harm him in order to stick it to me?

There is only one rational way to handle another play who plays that irrationally.

0 rows returned

ulmont

French diplomacy:

France accepts the Spanish alliance offer.

France offers to the HRE (full package deal):
1) Henry III Anjou marries Anna of Austria;
2) Charles IX marries Elizabeth of Austria;
3) Peace between HRE and France;
4) Alliance between HRE and France;
5) HRE gives 4 mercs to France; and
6) France returns Frankfurt and Trier to the HRE (displace 1+2 to Metz, for a total of 2+2 in Metz, and bounce 1+0 to Paris).

France offers to the Protestants (package deal by rule):
1) Peace between the Protestants and France; and
2) Marguerite de Valois marries Henry IV Navarre.