News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thatcher's Politicial Legacy.

Started by mongers, April 08, 2013, 10:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 01:39:56 PMIf you realize that you are a parasite living off the goverment tit and you still think that you are prosperous then you have a real problem.

Well, I think the point of contention is that the people you and Thatcher label parasites didn't think of themselves like that.

And continuously telling them that you are right, and they are (or were) in fact parasites, is not going to make them like you anymore. In fact, it may result in them celebrating your passing.

I'm not going to argue the rights and wrongs of Thatcher's policies. My point was to suggest to derSpiess why I think she is loathed so viscerally by so many Brits. Arguing - as you seem to be doing - that she was right and what she did was necessary doesn't really change anything.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2013, 02:02:04 PMPerhaps that says something about the people doing the reviled and not the object of revulsion.

That they went through a harder time?

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 01:26:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2013, 01:09:04 PM
I can't think of any country that has experienced economic success with the pre-Thatcher model of state ownership of money-losing overpaid heavy industry.

I think that the point to make on that is that other countries carried out similar policies of restructuring their industrial sectors without becoming reviled in the process.

Name one that went through as dramatic a change as the UK?

Pretty much every single country of the ex-communist bloc went through changes much much dramatic.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 01:39:56 PMIf you realize that you are a parasite living off the goverment tit and you still think that you are prosperous then you have a real problem.

Well, I think the point of contention is that the people you and Thatcher label parasites didn't think of themselves like that.

You were the one that called them parasites.  If you want to "win" an argument that way be my guest but I wont participate.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2013, 02:20:45 PMYou were the one that called them parasites.  If you want to "win" an argument that way be my guest but I wont participate.

There's no argument to "win", I don't think :)

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2013, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 01:23:45 PM
I think that the point to make on that is that other countries carried out similar policies of restructuring their industrial sectors without becoming reviled in the process.

Perhaps that says something about the people doing the reviled and not the object of revulsion.

Or that reforms done everywhere else were not implemented with the same vindictiveness. All the comments on the ones done by Thatcher make a point on their nastiness, almost on a personal level.

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 08, 2013, 01:55:47 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 08, 2013, 01:01:34 PM

Eh, we'll continue to get rude awakening after rude awakening...and we'll continue to centralize and intervene economically. I don't necessarily have a philosophical problem with that as much as I have a practical problem with it. The more structure we build around these services, the more we have tiny numbers of people tipping the scales this way and that, the more fragile we make our complex economic system to violent shocks...just like bacteria become more resistant the more antibiotics we throw at them.

I just read a book you might like.

I just finished it a week or so ago actually :)
and the horse you rode in on

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2013, 01:09:04 PM
I can't think of any country that has experienced economic success with the pre-Thatcher model of state ownership of money-losing overpaid heavy industry.

China has state ownership and large, wasteful capital expenditure in transport and construction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 02:24:01 PM
Or that reforms done everywhere else were not implemented with the same vindictiveness. All the comments on the ones done by Thatcher make a point on their nastiness, almost on a personal level.

That could be true or it could just another way of phrasing the subjectivity.  It would help to know what people are specifically referring to so we could judge for ourselves.

Jacob

About respecting public figures when they pass away: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette

Quote from: Glenn Greenwald...the key point is this: those who admire the deceased public figure (and their politics) aren't silent at all. They are aggressively exploiting the emotions generated by the person's death to create hagiography. Typifying these highly dubious claims about Thatcher was this (appropriately diplomatic) statement from President Obama: "The world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend." Those gushing depictions can be quite consequential, as it was for the week-long tidal wave of unbroken reverence that was heaped on Ronald Reagan upon his death, an episode that to this day shapes how Americans view him and the political ideas he symbolized. Demanding that no criticisms be voiced to counter that hagiography is to enable false history and a propagandistic whitewashing of bad acts, distortions that become quickly ossified and then endure by virtue of no opposition and the powerful emotions created by death. When a political leader dies, it is irresponsible in the extreme to demand that only praise be permitted but not criticisms.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2013, 02:48:46 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 08, 2013, 02:24:01 PM

That could be true or it could just another way of phrasing the subjectivity.  It would help to know what people are specifically referring to so we could judge for ourselves.

I believe Sheilbh just talked about it on the other thread, and how it all boiled down to Maggie's personality and way of conducting politics, which hugely antagonized her opposition.

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2013, 02:49:55 PM
About respecting public figures when they pass away: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette

Quote from: Glenn Greenwald...the key point is this: those who admire the deceased public figure (and their politics) aren't silent at all. They are aggressively exploiting the emotions generated by the person's death to create hagiography. Typifying these highly dubious claims about Thatcher was this (appropriately diplomatic) statement from President Obama: "The world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend." Those gushing depictions can be quite consequential, as it was for the week-long tidal wave of unbroken reverence that was heaped on Ronald Reagan upon his death, an episode that to this day shapes how Americans view him and the political ideas he symbolized. Demanding that no criticisms be voiced to counter that hagiography is to enable false history and a propagandistic whitewashing of bad acts, distortions that become quickly ossified and then endure by virtue of no opposition and the powerful emotions created by death. When a political leader dies, it is irresponsible in the extreme to demand that only praise be permitted but not criticisms.

That sounds very reasonable to me.  The problem isn't with people criticizing the deceased, but with crowing about their death.  It can be tough, depending on the figure, to avoid crossing that line.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

First: Glenn Greenwald :wub:

Second I agree entirely with what he said here.  I have no problem with people hating Thatcher I just think they are mistaken as to her impact.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I wonder if she was able to get away with being so confrontational because she was the first female PM. Or if she had to be so confrontational in order to become the first female PM.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

There is a distinction between fighting "false history" and celebrating the death.