News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Thatcher's Politicial Legacy.

Started by mongers, April 08, 2013, 10:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

The Kong Kong handover was 7 years after she had left office.

Razgovory

I thought the treaty was signed in the 1980's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on April 08, 2013, 04:44:07 PMshes only been in hell few hours and already shut down 3 furneces
I laughed  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 08, 2013, 03:08:14 PM
Or if she had to be so confrontational in order to become the first female PM.
This.

Hi, Ed!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2013, 11:27:55 PM
I think it was a travesty that the UK did not allow anybody who wanted to leave to get UK citizenship.  150+ years of being sorta loyal British subjects should have at least afforded the people of Hong Kong that much.  That was done before she became PM though IIRC.

The Nationalities or whatever it was act was one of the low points of her early years; done because they didn't like the idea of up to a million Chinese immigrants arriving out of the three million of Hong Kong. I disagreed with the policy as a child and I disagree with it now. 

The number of immigrants we've let into our country both voluntarily and involuntarily since makes it seem even more ludicrous in hindsight.

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2013, 11:27:55 PMAs it was I thought she got as good a deal from the PRC as could be expected, it was not like she had much leverage.

Well, while I can remember laughing at the commentators in certain newspapers who advocated handing Hong Kong over to the ROC rather than the PRC she actually had more leverage than you think, I believe. Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula were British; only the New Territories had to be returned. And unlike Portugal in the case of Goa and India the Chinese wouldn't have risked a unilateral occupation of the area given Britain's status as a nuclear power.

However, most people in Britain considered Hong Kong and Kowloon to be unviable as a Territory without the New Territories so everything was on the table from the start (as I understand it.)

In hindsight, I also wonder if Thatcher's reaction to the invasion of the Falklands was also helpful during the negotiations in getting concessions from the Chinese. :hmm:

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 09, 2013, 04:17:13 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 08, 2013, 04:44:07 PMshes only been in hell few hours and already shut down 3 furneces
I laughed  :lol:

Yeah, I thought that was the only redeeming feature of the post myself, if only because an image of her lecturing the devil on inefficiency is so...apt... :lol:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

I think it was a travesty that the UK did not allow anybody who wanted to leave to get UK citizenship.

Whoever may have been at fault for that it certainly benefited Vancouver as we were the recipient of a large number of those people.

Valmy

There is one thing about the Hong Kong handover that sort of puzzles me.  It is not shocking just sorta surprising.  The Chinese could have mandated all the roads get renamed and all the statues get torn down but they left them be...almost as a reverence  for the history of the place.  A reminder of past Chinese humiliations to strengthen their resolve in future confrontations with Western Imperialism?  Hong Kong has a fondness (I know Latin America both loves and hates Spain at the same time) for the British so they didn't want to step on any toes?  Just to signal that things wouldn't change that much?  I just find it surprising.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2013, 11:15:37 AM
I think it was a travesty that the UK did not allow anybody who wanted to leave to get UK citizenship.

Whoever may have been at fault for that it certainly benefited Vancouver as we were the recipient of a large number of those people.

It was just Britain's last chance to appear to be softer gentler sorts of Imperialists who really cared about their subjects and they blew the test.  Eh I guess it was a fitting end to that empire, the British would never commit to a global Britain.  The people in the empire were always going to be second class citizens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on April 09, 2013, 02:32:24 AM
The Kong Kong handover was 7 years after she had left office.

The Chinese give her the credit, though. As far as they're concerned, that's the main noteworthy thing about her government.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2013, 11:22:22 AM
It was just Britain's last chance to appear to be softer gentler sorts of Imperialists who really cared about their subjects and they blew the test.  Eh I guess it was a fitting end to that empire, the British would never commit to a global Britain.  The people in the empire were always going to be second class citizens.
Is that really a bad thing though?  Ethnic diversity is something of a bad thing for a society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2013, 02:36:34 PM
Is that really a bad thing though?  Ethnic diversity is something of a bad thing for a society.

It is bad if what you wanted was a British Empire that was going to endure and be a positive force in the world.  It would have had to become everybody's empire not just those people living in Blighty.  Eventually there would have had to be Indian politicians running it and so forth, just like the Illyrians running the Roman Empire.  They toyed with that idea several times, in fact it was Benjamin Franklin's grand vision back when he supported it, but it never really took hold.

crazy canuck

Epecially if ethnic Albertans are permitted across Provincial lines.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2013, 11:18:08 AM
There is one thing about the Hong Kong handover that sort of puzzles me.  It is not shocking just sorta surprising.  The Chinese could have mandated all the roads get renamed and all the statues get torn down but they left them be...almost as a reverence  for the history of the place.  A reminder of past Chinese humiliations to strengthen their resolve in future confrontations with Western Imperialism?  Hong Kong has a fondness (I know Latin America both loves and hates Spain at the same time) for the British so they didn't want to step on any toes?  Just to signal that things wouldn't change that much?  I just find it surprising.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing it's for two related reasons, both derived from Deng and his followers:

1. Hong Kong had the kind of prosperity China wanted. As such it was a model for the economic liberalization that China was about to have; destroying it would have been counter productive.

2. Huge parts of the CPC is incredibly venal and corrupt; nonetheless, there are also reformist impulses that are interested in good governance, the elimination of corruption, and greater democracy. Hong Kong is and was a contained area to experiment in.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2013, 02:40:47 PM
It is bad if what you wanted was a British Empire that was going to endure and be a positive force in the world.  It would have had to become everybody's empire not just those people living in Blighty.  Eventually there would have had to be Indian politicians running it and so forth, just like the Illyrians running the Roman Empire.  They toyed with that idea several times, in fact it was Benjamin Franklin's grand vision back when he supported it, but it never really took hold.
The British Empire was long gone by the time anybody had to make that choice.

Besides, letting the barbarians run the country sounds like a recipe for disaster.  It certainly was for the Romans.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.