News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most unfortunate advertising placement

Started by viper37, April 04, 2013, 03:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 10:50:33 PM
Yes, I'd certainly HOPE it's not real.
it's a real ad, and I thought we discussed it in here ? :huh:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: fahdiz on April 04, 2013, 11:26:58 PM
Quote from: dps on April 04, 2013, 11:20:01 PM
It sounds like something that a stereotypical limosine liberal would come up with.

As satire, you mean?

Uh, no, I meant the stereotypical wealthy liberal who has probably never actually met a black person, except for the servants.

Eddie Teach

That stereotype isn't necessarily associated with wealthy *liberals*.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 11:16:39 AM

Sure, there's a stereotype of a completely out-of-touch wealthy person that doesn't even have a political component, and another of out-of-touch wealthy conservatives.  But there's also a stereotype of the limosine liberal, too, which was the one I was discussing.

derspiess

Silly dps.  Liberals are incapable of racism!!!  I mean look at Seedy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I don't think that's something that's true of a stereotypical limousine liberal, at least not anymore. There's depictions of that type on tv all the time, and there's always black people moving around in their circles. The stuffy exurban rich lily-white stereotype is more likely to be connected with conservatism.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 11:43:18 AM
I don't think that's something that's true of a stereotypical limousine liberal, at least not anymore. There's depictions of that type on tv all the time, and there's always black people moving around in their circles. The stuffy exurban rich lily-white stereotype is more likely to be connected with conservatism.

So you might say that some of their best friends are black people?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Indeed, it's fashionable to have black friends. :yes:

DGuller

Quote from: dps on April 05, 2013, 11:30:43 AM

Sure, there's a stereotype of a completely out-of-touch wealthy person that doesn't even have a political component, and another of out-of-touch wealthy conservatives.  But there's also a stereotype of the limosine liberal, too, which was the one I was discussing.
:hmm: Seems like that stereotype says more about the people believing it than the people it's about.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 11:43:18 AM

The knock on limousine liberals was/is that they espoused liberal values without having any skin in the game.  I.e. soft on crime but live in the suburbs, in favor of school busing but send their kids to private school.  Not that they didn't know any blacks and certainly not that they were bigots.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2013, 11:50:25 AM
Quote from: dps on April 05, 2013, 11:30:43 AM

:hmm: Seems like that stereotype says more about the people believing it than the people it's about.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

So DG & grabon, what do you think this says about dps?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:11:37 PM
So DG & grabon, what do you think this says about dps?

Nothing that I didn't already know. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 12:03:29 PM
The knock on limousine liberals was/is that they espoused liberal values without having any skin in the game.  I.e. soft on crime but live in the suburbs, in favor of school busing but send their kids to private school.  Not that they didn't know any blacks and certainly not that they were bigots.

That's always how I've heard it defined as well. This new definition seems like something a really conservative person came up with.
and the horse you rode in on