First time offender sold pain killers to friend, faces 25 years in jail

Started by Syt, April 03, 2013, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Out of curiosity anyone know what you get if you traffic less than amounts in Seedy's table?  I.e. <25 pounds of ganja or <28 grams of Bolivian marching powder?  Does it turn into possession?

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2013, 04:37:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 03:33:33 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 03, 2013, 03:03:02 PM
Lacking a conscience is considered a sign of strength among certain tribes.

Yeah, especially the tribe of stupid internet faggots.

Wait, isn't that your tribe?

Presumably, he doesn't limit either his stupidity or his faggotry to the internet.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2013, 07:49:42 PM
Out of curiosity anyone know what you get if you traffic less than amounts in Seedy's table?  I.e. <25 pounds of ganja or <28 grams of Bolivian marching powder?  Does it turn into possession?

I found this link on the dope:
http://norml.org/laws/penalties/item/florida-penalties

Zanza

The fact that the fiscal burden to the taxpayer features prominently in the article is interesting. It seems pretty irrelevant compared to depriving a man of his liberty for a very long time for a non violent first offense. That suggests a very amoral, solely fiscal view on this. If money is the only way to argue about cases like this, people seem to lack empathy and respect for what is supposedly America's core value, freedom.

sbr

Quote from: Zanza on April 04, 2013, 12:03:44 AM
The fact that the fiscal burden to the taxpayer features prominently in the article is interesting. It seems pretty irrelevant compared to depriving a man of his liberty for a very long time for a non violent first offense. That suggests a very amoral, solely fiscal view on this. If money is the only way to argue about cases like this, people seem to lack empathy and respect for what is supposedly America's core value, freedom.

Are you new here?

dps

The cost is irrelevant to me, since prisons are one of the few things I think it's legitmate for the govenement to spend money on.

Well, not exactly irrelevant.  Convicts get too many material comforts;  prisions should be harder on them, and cheaper on us.

That said, 25 years for what he did is far too long.  3-5 seems about right.

DGuller

Yeah, that struck me as well.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on April 04, 2013, 12:11:30 AM
:blink: Five years for selling prescription pills?  Are you out of your mind?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 12:22:28 AM

I've always wanted to see that snooty pharmacist at Walgreens knocked down a peg.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

The cost is irrelevant to me, since prisons are one of the few things I think it's legitmate for the govenement to spend money on.

Well, not exactly irrelevant.  Convicts get too many material comforts;  prisions should be harder on them, and cheaper on us.

Which material comforts are you talking about?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2013, 12:33:24 AM

Which material comforts are you talking about?

That would be the regular passive anal sex  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2013, 05:06:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
What cases like that highlight is that America hasn't been enlightened yet when it comes to judicial system.

No, what this case highlights is what happens when you remove the independence of the judiciary from criminal law and place it in the hands of the legislature.

Bingo. I don't see how minimum or automatic penalties are found constitutional.

Scipio

Yeah, well, you're not from Chicago.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Gups

You'd expect this from Thailand or Burma, but it seems incredible that this can happen in a western country.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2013, 12:22:28 AM

For the ones that are often abused and are a pretty significant drug abuse problem in some areas-- absolutely.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall