First time offender sold pain killers to friend, faces 25 years in jail

Started by Syt, April 03, 2013, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

46 years old.  It's a death sentence.

Why not, while on bail, or while dragooned as a drug warrior yourself, try to kill the cop who set you up, or, well, any cop?  Indeed, why not try to kill anyone and everyone you see before they take you down?  Even assuming rational actors, what is the deterrence value here?

I bet derspeiss would go out killing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 02:43:03 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 03, 2013, 02:39:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2013, 12:30:22 PM
Boo hoo. Whiny crybaby knows it is verboten. Rot in jail hippie.

+1 Got what he deserved.
Are you being serious or trolling? :unsure:

Trolling. Why didnt he just give his friend the pills. I mean..come on dude.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on April 03, 2013, 04:38:43 PM

Why not, while on bail, or while dragooned as a drug warrior yourself, try to kill the cop who set you up, or, well, any cop?  Indeed, why not try to kill anyone and everyone you see before they take you down?  Even assuming rational actors, what is the deterrence value here?

I think I have to agree with Ide. -_-

Also, I'm glad I never sell pills that I have.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on April 03, 2013, 04:49:55 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the "friend" insisted on paying.  Wouldn't be the first such story I heard.  It seems like when it comes to stings, there is no such thing as entrapment.

Anyway, ignoring all that, let's assume the guy completely willfully decided to sell some pills.  Should there not be some sense of proportionality in the punishment?  Just because you know you're committing a crime doesn't mean that you lose the protection against cruel and unusual punishment.  That's the part that seems to be lost on many people here:  even the scumbags deserve justice.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 03, 2013, 04:38:43 PM

Presumably he'll be paroled after a decade or so, at which point he'll have hopefully picked up some tips on how to commit violent crime.  Violent crime and incarceration is probably his best retirement option, given that he'll be starting his life from scratch in his late fifties.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I hope this means that Ide and garbon don 't go out on a killing rampage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 04:56:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 03, 2013, 04:49:55 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the "friend" insisted on paying.  Wouldn't be the first such story I heard.  It seems like when it comes to stings, there is no such thing as entrapment.

Anyway, ignoring all that, let's assume the guy completely willfully decided to sell some pills.  Should there not be some sense of proportionality in the punishment?  Just because you know you're committing a crime doesn't mean that you lose the protection against cruel and unusual punishment.  That's the part that seems to be lost on many people here:  even the scumbags deserve justice.

:yes: to all of that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
What cases like that highlight is that America hasn't been enlightened yet when it comes to judicial system.

No, what this case highlights is what happens when you remove the independence of the judiciary from criminal law and place it in the hands of the legislature.

Neil

Well, what do you expect when lawyers have made themselves a law unto themselves and set up a ridiculous system?  People are disenfranchised and so they vote for stupid men who offer stupid solutions, like the mandatory minimum.  Nobody trusts a judge, so it seems like a good idea to remove as much discretion from them as possible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2013, 04:57:42 PM
Presumably he'll be paroled after a decade or so, at which point he'll have hopefully picked up some tips on how to commit violent crime.

These mandatory minimum sentence structures in Florida follow the same track as life sentences:  you do not gain time for good behavior, or qualify for parole.  It's a mandatory sentencing structure.  25 years = 25 years.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 01:22:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2013, 12:30:22 PM
Boo hoo. Whiny crybaby knows it is verboten. Rot in jail hippie.

I only wish it would just be nutcases like you who would bear the fiscal burden for this garbage.  Ah well.

Your butthurt...delicious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2013, 05:08:13 PM
Well, what do you expect when lawyers have made themselves a law unto themselves and set up a ridiculous system?  People are disenfranchised and so they vote for stupid men who offer stupid solutions, like the mandatory minimum.  Nobody trusts a judge, so it seems like a good idea to remove as much discretion from them as possible.

The other way around.  What do you expect when a bunch of legislators without a proper appreciation for the law take away the discretion of legally trained people to deal with cases appropriately?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 05:17:40 PM
The other way around.  What do you expect when a bunch of legislators without a proper appreciation for the law take away the discretion of legally trained people to deal with cases appropriately?

I dunno, man...by asking the defendant to snitch out 5 other defendants, sounds to me like the State's Attorney can't tell the difference between an Oxy overlord kingpin and an old man selling some surplus out of his Rx.  Doesn't strike me as someone legally trained to deal with cases appropriately.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 05:17:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2013, 05:08:13 PM
That might work if all the legislators weren't filthy fucking lawyers.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2013, 05:06:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
What cases like that highlight is that America hasn't been enlightened yet when it comes to judicial system.

No, what this case highlights is what happens when you remove the independence of the judiciary from criminal law and place it in the hands of the legislature.

Bingo.
Force the law into a state of ignorance about the facts, and idiotic results will follow.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson