First time offender sold pain killers to friend, faces 25 years in jail

Started by Syt, April 03, 2013, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 03:00:44 PM
First of all, I highly doubt it's common knowledge that you can serve a minimum of 25 years for selling some pills to a friend.  Secondly, the lack of outrage over something that is so clearly a disproportionate punishment is very chilling.  It's like you people lack conscience or something.  :blink:

Can't be bothered to feel outraged about half a million dead babies a year, why should this be different?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 03:00:44 PM
First of all, I highly doubt it's common knowledge that you can serve a minimum of 25 years for selling some pills to a friend.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, then.  And wtf difference does it make if it's a 'friend'.  Ten bucks says he made a profit off the sales.

QuoteSecondly, the lack of outrage over something that is so clearly a disproportionate punishment is very chilling.  It's like you people lack conscience or something.  :blink:

I do think that is severe.  I'm just not as emotional as you :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Maximus on April 03, 2013, 03:03:02 PM
Lacking a conscience is considered a sign of strength among certain tribes.

Yeah, especially the tribe of stupid internet faggots.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 03:11:04 PM
Ignorance of the law is no excuse, then.  And wtf difference does it make if it's a 'friend'.  Ten bucks says he made a profit off the sales.

Wow, the law, no matter how unjust, is always justified.  Got it.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 03:39:14 PM

I did say the penalty was severe, didn't I?  There's no pleasing you types.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

What cases like that highlight is that America hasn't been enlightened yet when it comes to judicial system.  Once people go to prison, they're considered subhuman, and the costs incurred by them don't count. 

As is usually the case with all big issues, I'm sure race plays a factor here.  Reigning in the prison-industrial complex is going to disproportionally benefit convicted black people, since they're the ones getting nailed the hardest, and I'm sure there are quite a few people who are happy to keep them locked away, and not really think about the sausage making that gets and keeps them there.

Admiral Yi

I would like to disassociate myself from DGuller in this thread please.  :sleep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 03:53:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 03:39:14 PM

I did say the penalty was severe, didn't I?  There's no pleasing you types.

Yeah, and then you went on to comment on how he got what he deserved.  See a problem there?

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 03:58:08 PM
Yeah, and then you went on to comment on how he got what he deserved.  See a problem there?

Yeah, I guess I do see a problem there, Bub.  'Cuz I never said that :contract:

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 04:04:00 PM

Ok, explain to me what you meant when you said

"It's pretty severe, but shame on him for letting his guard down."

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
What cases like that highlight is that America hasn't been enlightened yet when it comes to judicial system.  Once people go to prison, they're considered subhuman, and the costs incurred by them don't count. 

As is usually the case with all big issues, I'm sure race plays a factor here.  Reigning in the prison-industrial complex is going to disproportionally benefit convicted black people, since they're the ones getting nailed the hardest, and I'm sure there are quite a few people who are happy to keep them locked away, and not really think about the sausage making that gets and keeps them there.

Probably has a lot more to do with the fact that a "law and order" agenda is an easy sound bit to sell during an election while the argument against things like mandatory sentencing is a bit more involved.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 04:09:00 PM

Probably has a lot more to do with the fact that a "law and order" agenda is an easy sound bit to sell during an election while the argument against things like mandatory sentencing is a bit more involved.
But the reason it's easy to sell is that the audience is receptive to being sold.  Why doesn't the same dynamic happen in other western democracies?

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 04:07:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2013, 04:04:00 PM

Ok, explain to me what you meant when you said

"It's pretty severe, but shame on him for letting his guard down."

I'm saying it's severe punishment, but I'm not crying myself to sleep over it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2013, 04:13:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 03, 2013, 04:09:00 PM

But the reason it's easy to sell is that the audience is receptive to being sold.  Why doesn't the same dynamic happen in other western democracies?

What makes you think it doesnt.  The government in Canada has passed similar minimum mandatory sentencing laws and it has a disproportionate effect on native communities but that disproportionate effect has nothing to do with why the laws are an easy sell.  It is because a law and order agenda is a more simplistic idea to sell to the voting public then dealing with more difficult societal problems.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2013, 03:33:33 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 03, 2013, 03:03:02 PM
Lacking a conscience is considered a sign of strength among certain tribes.

Yeah, especially the tribe of stupid internet faggots.

Wait, isn't that your tribe?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017