News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Iberian" languages questions

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2013, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Garbon, isn't African American vernacular kind of a sociolect?  Almost all African American people I know kind of "turn it off", which is what I would suspect would happen if they were in Delhi. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2013, 10:08:26 PM
Garbon, isn't African American vernacular kind of a sociolect?  Almost all African American people I know kind of "turn it off", which is what I would suspect would happen if they were in Delhi. 

Some can turn it off a lot more easily than others.  A couple gals I've worked with can code-shift in conversation but oddly have trouble doing so in their emails :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are getting at.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2013, 10:13:01 PM

Some can turn it off a lot more easily than others.  A couple gals I've worked with can code-shift in conversation but oddly have trouble doing so in their emails :huh:

Oh well if that's what he means then sure but of course, different people having varying sizes of vocabularies as well a desire to modulate their behavior. Much the same I'd guess for a lot of slang.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

That was my best guess at what he said, but the Delhi thing did kinda throw me off.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2013, 10:14:00 PM

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are getting at.
I think a lot of-maybe most-English dialect speakers can "code-shift" depending on circumstance. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jacob

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2013, 10:26:13 PMI think a lot of-maybe most-English dialect speakers can "code-shift" depending on circumstance.

I don't think that's a phenomenon that's unique to English speakers. I've observed the same sort of effect with speakers of Japanese, Chinese, and Danish; I expect the same is true for speakers of Spanish and Portuguese.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2013, 09:59:26 PMWell good thing I didn't do that?  Page 1 we have a discussion on the difficulties of understanding presumably Portugal Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. None of that seems esoteric to me but examples of rather mainstream speech. Totally could be off but I think Portugal and Brazil have the highest concentrations of Portuguese speakers.

Then we also had some bits about Spanish and difficulties of understanding pronunciations in various parts of the same country. Is that comparable to picking a few places out of anglosphere?

:lol: we are spending a lot of time on something so trivial eh?

Anyhow, I thought you were making that comparison - between the Anglosphere and the Hispanosphere, and that's what I've been talking about. If you weren't then I guess we can take that as proof that even if people have no dialect/accent barrier (since we're typing)  there can still be significant communication barriers :)

QuoteAlso, who said anything about excluding South Boston, urban African-American or Delhi-standard - I didn't agree to that and I'm not sure I'd agree either that there would be difficulties to the extent that two speakers would be unable to communicate.

Similarly, I'd wager that a speaker of Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese from Portugal would be able to communicate.

QuoteNot sure what to make of this TV-American unless the suggestion is that most Americans all speak that way - as again like I said there really isn't a lot of difficultly understanding English as one travels about America.

When you turn on a TV in the US, people on it tend to speak a non-regional "generic American". Same thing as BBC/RP-for the UK, and there are similar dynamics in many other countries. It's the standard towards which you alter your accent if you speak a heavy dialect and want to be understood by others who do not; something which you can do because it's common in education and media. So if your natural accent is close to that standard - and that goes for whatever language you speak - you don't have to worry about being understood if addressing a dialect speaker; they've learned to understand your way of speaking in school and the media.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2013, 04:58:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2013, 04:55:56 PM
Note to self - der gets panicky when you ask whether one's nations cultural items are uncommon in other nations. Reason for that - unknown.

:D  I think your bar for "common" is pretty low.  I'd bet that fewer than 1 or 2% of Americans have ever heard of them.

I had never ever heard of a capralinhas (sp) before coming here to Brazil.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Jake, where do you get this impression that people in the US have a hard time understanding each other?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2013, 04:35:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2013, 04:58:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2013, 04:55:56 PM
Note to self - der gets panicky when you ask whether one's nations cultural items are uncommon in other nations. Reason for that - unknown.

:D  I think your bar for "common" is pretty low.  I'd bet that fewer than 1 or 2% of Americans have ever heard of them.

I had never ever heard of a caipirinha before coming here to Brazil.
:contract:

Fixed it for you 

Very easy to find in European bars, btw.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2013, 04:58:12 AM
Jake, where do you get this impression that people in the US have a hard time understanding each other?

My Cousin Vinny.  'What is a yoot?'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Actually Jake, I think you're taking me to me to task about my flippant comment to Iorm about that being a pity and my initially weak salvo about Iberian language speakers being unwilling to learn their own language. -_-

I don't think you've shown that the various English speaking groups you've highlighted are unintelligible to other English speakers - nor beyond mere assertion have you shown that the various Spanish and then also Portuguese groups have an easy time understanding one another. In fact, there's direct testimony against your position by native speakers of English and those Iberian languages respectively.

garbon

Also, I should point out - once again that I never said all English speakers can understand one another - clearly that's not true, but that in general one doesn't have to worry at all that one will be unable to understand other speaker's of English.  Now that may be the case for the various Spanish and Portuguese groups, but it wasn't the impression I got from this thread.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 07:08:53 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2013, 04:58:12 AM

My Cousin Vinny.  'What is a yoot?'

Well, now I want to see that movie again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017