Main Menu

"Iberian" languages questions

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2013, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2013, 08:15:13 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2013, 07:08:53 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2013, 04:58:12 AM
Jake, where do you get this impression that people in the US have a hard time understanding each other?

My Cousin Vinny.  'What is a yoot?'

Well, now I want to see that movie again.

It stands up remarkably well to repeat viewings.

And it is one of the most accurate courtroom portrayals in Hollywood. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

The one major plot hole in Vinny is that whereas Marissa is supposed to be the automative genius, she's not the one who has the insight about the tire tracks. 

The lesser difficulty with the move is: how the hell is a dude that looks like that fucking Marissa Tomei?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2013, 08:00:51 AM
Also, I should point out - once again that I never said all English speakers can understand one another - clearly that's not true, but that in general one doesn't have to worry at all that one will be unable to understand other speaker's of English.  Now that may be the case for the various Spanish and Portuguese groups, but it wasn't the impression I got from this thread.
Well that's because there are lots of different languages in Iberia. Surely the difference is that all of the variations of English descend from English. They're dialects of English and that's the original mother tongue. Whereas Catalan and Castillian and Portuguese and Galician are languages that come from Latin. They're not dialects of Castillian, but rather separate languages. Given their proximity and so on they're bound to have some bits which are mutually intelligible, but they're dialects of that branch of Latin.

I'm sure there's some Guarani-Spanish language that would really confuse any Spaniards but the differences within Castillian (as opposed to between Iberian languages - which is like Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Welsh, Breton and Cornish) aren't generally that deep.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2013, 04:58:12 AM
Jake, where do you get this impression that people in the US have a hard time understanding each other?

:lmfao:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2013, 08:53:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2013, 08:00:51 AM
Also, I should point out - once again that I never said all English speakers can understand one another - clearly that's not true, but that in general one doesn't have to worry at all that one will be unable to understand other speaker's of English.  Now that may be the case for the various Spanish and Portuguese groups, but it wasn't the impression I got from this thread.
Well that's because there are lots of different languages in Iberia. Surely the difference is that all of the variations of English descend from English. They're dialects of English and that's the original mother tongue. Whereas Catalan and Castillian and Portuguese and Galician are languages that come from Latin. They're not dialects of Castillian, but rather separate languages. Given their proximity and so on they're bound to have some bits which are mutually intelligible, but they're dialects of that branch of Latin.

e.g Galician and Portuguese are dialects of Galaico-Portuguese.  :contract:
Specially for North Portuguese. ;)

As for Catalan, there is still a school linking it to Occitan/South French/Langue d'oc (French is Francilian Langue d'oïl), so it would not be an Iberian language originally.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2013, 08:38:04 AM
The one major plot hole in Vinny is that whereas Marissa is supposed to be the automative genius, she's not the one who has the insight about the tire tracks. 

The lesser difficulty with the move is: how the hell is a dude that looks like that fucking Marissa Tomei?

Cause Joe Pesci is a badass?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 02, 2013, 08:58:38 AM
e.g Galician and Portuguese are dialects of Galaico-Portuguese.  :contract:
Specially for North Portuguese. ;)
Yeah, West Iberian Latin :lol:

Like two Brythonic languages as opposed to two broader Celtic ones.

QuoteAs for Catalan, there is still a school linking it to Occitan/South French/Langue d'oc (French is Francilian Langue d'oïl), so it would not be an Iberian language originally.
That makes some sense. I mean the paisos Catalans included bits of Southern France so they've always been culturally linked. Plus there are weird bits of Catalan that seem very French: 'si us plau' for please, or 'diumenge' for Sunday. From what I've read you're as likely to need a spattering of French and Italian, as you are Castillian, to understand bits and pieces of Catalan.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Diumenge for sunday is quite similar to other romance languages, you have domingo in Spanish, Portuguese and Galician, and domenica in Italian.

Sheilbh

True. It's very close to Langue d'Oc too, which is 'dimenge'.

Admittedly all the Catalan I know is from a guidebook for a holiday I never took and a cookbook :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

QuoteThat makes some sense. I mean the paisos Catalans included bits of Southern France so they've always been culturally linked. Plus there are weird bits of Catalan that seem very French: 'si us plau' for please, or 'diumenge' for Sunday. From what I've read you're as likely to need a spattering of French and Italian, as you are Castillian, to understand bits and pieces of Catalan.
There's a lot of debate over if Catalan and the Lang d'Oc are separate languages, and if so when it happened.  There are models that have them as two registers or dialects of the same language.  I don't have enough expertise to comment.  The Catalan language, unlike all of the other present Iberian languages, has roots in the eastern Marca Hispanica rather than the mountains of northern Iberia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

QuoteLike two Brythonic languages as opposed to two broader Celtic ones.
It seems plausible that the divide between Brythonic and Goidelic is wider than between Romance languages. It dates to before the foundation of the Empire by a few centuries at least. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."