Main Menu

So Bioshock infinite

Started by Razgovory, March 27, 2013, 12:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2013, 12:45:34 AM
[spoiler]Does this really work?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2013, 12:45:34 AM
[spoiler]Does this really work?[/spoiler]

Yes, yes it does.  Okay.

[spoiler]I was kinda hoping there would be an explanation on why I had magical powers.  I also kinda thought that ending verged into the self-indulgent as well.  I did like how several modern songs were rearranged for 1912.  Like a Beach Boys hit arranged for a barbershop quartet  :lol:[/spoiler]
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

[spoiler]Yeah, the in-game explanation is that the composer stole the music through tears (like the tears where we hear modern music in Paris, or the one with Fortunate Son). The magical powers come from the vigors, not from yourself. They're the Columbia equivalent of Rapture's plasmids, only that much fewer people seem to use them (for whatever reason - too expensive for the Average Joe?).

The ending was indeed self-indulgent. They constructed their alternate realities and were obviously very proud to show off how it all tied up. Any inconsistencies can be waved away with "Elizabeth = Godlike", so she could correct all realities.[/spoiler]

As said above, this link cleared up any questions I still had after the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533205
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

[spoiler]Yeah, I knew that I got magic powers from vigors, but I didn't know where the vigors come from.  Not only that, but everyone (including Dewitt), just shrugs them off.  I wondered if they were a result of the "siphon" used to control Elizabeth, but nobody ever said that.  Overall it was a good game.  I liked it better the Bioshock (which was a mediocre shooter with a great story and atmosphere).  I suppose they left some things open for a sequel (which Bioshock did not).  I did like how extra lives were handled, and how the Lucare siblings kept count by asking you to flip a coin in the beginning.  Still it felt like a lot of things were cut out.  For instance there is a cowboy hunter type who you hear recording from, but never meet.[/spoiler]
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

[spoiler]Ah, I see what you mean with the vigors. I agree, some more explanation on that would be good. The best I could find is this from Bioshok wiki

http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Vigor

In one of the Voxophone recordings, Jeremiah Fink mentions a brilliant biologist he's observing through a tear. This could be a nod to Dr. Brigid Tenenbaum, which in turn would imply that Fink may have drawn inspiration from Tenenbaum's work on Plasmids, or possibly used it as a basis to create Vigors.[/spoiler]

There's three story based DLC scheduled at the moment.

I have to say I'm most surprised that they didn't include a multiplayer mode which seems almost mandatory these days.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

On other thing I liked about the game is how it captured the beauty of the pre-war world.  While the world did have it's ugly spots (which the game magnifies to a great degree), it there was a great deal of beauty, grace, ingenuity, and optimism.  Whatever the flaws of the people 100 years ago, they didn't deserve the war and revolutions that laid ruin to so much.

[spoiler]In fact the Vox Populi revolution reminded of some of the things I read about the Russian revolution soldiers would nail shoulder boards to the bodies of their officers or when the Tashkent Soviet decided to nationalize women. [/spoiler]

Syt

Started playing again.

[spoiler]It's an interesting experience now going in and getting all the double meanings in the opening bits - the Lutece's dialogue, the inscriptions on walls, the baptism bit where the priest (the same, btw, who did the "original" baptism) explains that you can enter Columbia only through baptism etc. There's plenty double entendres nw that you know where it ends. Somehow, knowing how the story goes makes it seem actually more tragic to me.[/spoiler]

Also, a screenshot. Not really a spoiler as it's at the very beginning of the game. Those statues look creepy.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Came across this "Employees Only" area in a shop with a surly proprietor. It's creepy and depressing at the same time.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Bioshock vs. Quantum Mechanics

I like it when sexy girls with British accents speak science to me. :wub:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Finished my second playthrough. Still loving it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

chipwich

Got around to finishing it. Self-indulgent and inconsistent ending.

Caliga

Started playing it last night.

Lack of a discrete save game function is INFURIATING. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Scipio

Finally played it all the way through. Much better done than I expected. Although, shit, it must have been wearing constructing all the fictional racism.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt