News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So Bioshock infinite

Started by Razgovory, March 27, 2013, 12:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

[spoiler]"Lots of Elizabeths appear and they proceed to drown Booker, presumably in the Baptising basin. After he dies we see all of the Elizabeths disappear."
I didn't see that! At least I can't remember. I just saw the view from under the water (seeing nobody as I recall), then credits rolled. WTF[/spoiler]

Tamas

[spoiler]as awesome the story as it clearly is, as with any time and/or dimension travelling piece, it isn't exactly fault-proof. How can you kill off Comstock from INFINITE number of worlds? Just because you do a dimension where Booker is killed before Comstock could born, there would still have to be dimensions where this death does not happen. Or is it explicitly stated somewhere, that if Elizabeth opens up something, the stuff happening there happens in all infininte number of dimensions?[/spoiler]

Tamas

[spoiler] wait, so those elizabeths in the water, disappearing, which I didnt see for some reason (maybe because of the pirated version? :P) symbolized that all possible comstock-y dimensions' elizabeths killed off their Bookers to stop Comstock from appearing? Neat [/spoiler]

Syt

[spoiler]Yep, the Elizabeths all disappeared bit by bit. After the LOOOONG credits comes a short scene with you back in your office/apartment with a child crying from the little room. As the first link says, it makes sense, because only the baptized Booker got killed off. The one who decided not to go through with it should still exist and now gets a shot at redeeming himself with his daughter Anna (which in turn means that Elizabeth as we know her never existed . . . but I'm too lazy to figure out that paradox. Still, she (and probably Robert/Rosalind Lutece) are outside the quantum mechanics of our world (or at least seem to have full knowledge of all possible permutations ["I can see all the doors"]) that I suppose you can argue that she has the ability to pick the one moment/possibility that will eliminate a myriad other possibilities.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Anyways, I will need to replay this game at some point to see what I missed (I think I collected only a bit more than half of the voice recordings), and how the puzzle pieces fit together in hindsight.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Possibly the ultimate explanatory thread?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533205

Spoiler heavy, goes without saying.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Well, I bought it last night.  I guess I'll start today.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

The game is kinda intense.  I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on April 06, 2013, 07:38:46 PM
The game is kinda intense.  I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
So it's a Bioshock game.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Well it hasn't started to discrediting Berkut's ideas, so not yet.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

I've been playing Bioshock 1 again on the weekend. I understand that it has a big fan base, and I can see why. However, while I loved the setting and back story, I'm not a big fan of survival horror (still, one of the few games of that ilk I actually finished, which speaks for its themes and setting), so the game didn't rank too high on my person list of top games. Also, I thought the story was much more conventional, despite [spoiler]the big twist in the middle (which fit the noir setting for me): kill bad guy who turned utopia into hell - realize you've been played by your supposed ally all along - go and take revenge[/spoiler].

While in Infinite there's a general feeling where the journey goes, [spoiler]it's not till the very end when all is wrapped up, leaving a bigger impact than Bioshock 1's big mid-game twist, at least for me[/spoiler].

I liked Infinite a lot better in that regard - the story feels a lot more emotional - not least thanks to Elizabeth. There's few other characters in games that are so specifically designed to get the player attached to them and emotionally involved, and I hope other designers take note.

Finally, where Rapture is designed to be scary, claustrophobic and weird (with some signs of former glory), Columbia is made to be dazzling and majestic - almost literally a piece of America as Heaven (and hell as it later turns out), idyllic, pristine and wholesome. Arriving feels like stepping through the Pearly gates; arriving in Rapture and especially the Medical Pavillion (my favorite level of the game, design wise) is like stepping into a horror movie.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Beat the game.  Kinda saw the last big twist way off when I was met Slate.  I think that's a the problem when you try to follow up one big twist with another.  Everyone is expecting it.  Several things kinda went unexplained to me though.  I don't know how you guys black everything out.

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2013, 10:12:53 PM
Beat the game.  Kinda saw the last big twist way off when I was met Slate.  I think that's a the problem when you try to follow up one big twist with another.  Everyone is expecting it.  Several things kinda went unexplained to me though.  I don't know how you guys black everything out.

With the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

[spoiler]Does this really work?[/spoiler]