News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So Bioshock infinite

Started by Razgovory, March 27, 2013, 12:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

No worries Funk, you won't have to wait 9 months. 66% off at the Steam Summer Sale if not it'll be cheap on Amazon.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2013, 11:55:41 AM
No worries Funk, you won't have to wait 9 months. 66% off at the Steam Summer Sale if not it'll be cheap on Amazon.

I think that's what I may do.  One thing I noticed from the first Bioshock was that the actual shooting, (you know, the main aspect of the game), was only mediocre.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 28, 2013, 11:41:26 AM
Seems interesting but not earth-shattering and genre-defining like a lot of reviewers are saying.
You simply cannot trust professional game reviews at all.  If one of them gives a major studio release a bad review, said studio will pull advertising from their sites. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

I YouTubed the ending and read an article that describes the story pretty well. Seems interesting but not earth-shattering and genre-defining like a lot of reviewers are saying. Also the gameplay looks boring.

"I saw the ending of a movie adaptation of Anna Karenina.  It seemed interesting, but kind of the same as Madame Bovary, and really not medium-defining.  Also suicidal women are such a cliche for a novel."
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2013, 07:50:00 PM
I YouTubed the ending and read an article that describes the story pretty well. Seems interesting but not earth-shattering and genre-defining like a lot of reviewers are saying. Also the gameplay looks boring.

"I saw the ending of a movie adaptation of Anna Karenina.  It seemed interesting, but kind of the same as Madame Bovary, and really not medium-defining.  Also suicidal women are such a cliche for a novel."

Odd that you'd make that up as comparable given that a youtube video of gameplay is probably not that different from actual gameplay...where as a movie and novel are different animals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

I don't think watching a 380p YouTube video does real justice to BioShock Infinity. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2013, 07:50:00 PM

Having not played the game I can't knock it, but gameplay videos can give people reasonable expectations of what the game is like and if they'll enjoy it or not.

I've seen opinions arguing that the story is either super incredible or mildly interesting. To be honest I am not as interested in stories for FPS games as I am interested in the actual gameplay. The story could be the second-coming of Dostoyevsky but if I fucking hate the gameplay then I'm never going to finish the damn thing anyway and it's a waste of my money.

I'm happy for you that you really enjoyed the game. I am going to wait for a good sale and pick it up for $10 or $15.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2013, 08:05:36 PM
I don't think watching a 380p YouTube video does real justice to BioShock Infinity. 

Who watches 360p youtube videos?

Tamas

woa, good game!

Psellus, what's your take on the ending? Did he do it?

Syt

I'm 90 minutes in, but loving it (haven't picked up Elizabeth yet). Runs beautifully on max settings. Arriving in New Eden really instilled a sense of wonder . . . which turned to disgust in the baseball raffle scene.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

I need to get a better comp. The animation is extremely choppy unless I set it to Very Low.

And Tamas, what do you mean?

Queequeg

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2013, 12:24:30 AM
I'm 90 minutes in, but loving it (haven't picked up Elizabeth yet). Runs beautifully on max settings. Arriving in New Eden really instilled a sense of wonder . . . which turned to disgust in the baseball raffle scene.
That was done perfectly. The fact that they were singing Goodnight, Irene somehow made it even creepier.

Tamas

Quote from: Queequeg on March 31, 2013, 10:06:25 AM
I need to get a better comp. The animation is extremely choppy unless I set it to Very Low.

And Tamas, what do you mean?

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

At the end, your guy determines do do something, to prevent the stuff from happening. But the act is not explicitely carried out.