Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2013, 08:48:24 PM
Apparently China, for the first time, didn't issue any statement or give any extra food aid for Kim Il Sung's birthday :mellow:

Cool.  Maybe China is finally growing up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

I don't know if I'd open a coffee shop on the border with North Korea, but this guy did: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/canadian-caf-owners-serve-up-coffee-with-a-view-of-north-korea/article11298263/

Anyhow, it seems that the Chinese are taking the sanctions somewhat seriously:
QuoteTraders say that what isn't crossing, for now, is anything that could be seen as useful to the North Korean military. "The sanctions are very serious," said Qin, a 66-year-old truck driver who has been driving back and forth across the Friendship Bridge since the 1990s. "Before, things like chemical products and pipes and steel were very common. Now, very few of these things are going across and the main products going in are fertilizer, washing powder, cooking oil, daily things. It's all civilian trade. If there are any forbidden things, they have to be smuggled."

... but not completely:
QuoteChina made a show of closing the local branch of the Kwangson Bank (listed in United Nations' documents as the Foreign Trade Bank) earlier this year after the United States designated it a "key financial node in North Korea's weapons-of-mass-destruction apparatus." But other banks in Dandong said they were still able to send cash directly to accounts in Pyongyang. "We haven't received notice to stop any of our services," an employee of the China Construction Bank, which has known ties to the Kwangson Bank, told The Globe and Mail.

jimmy olsen

Its maazing how hammered you cna get in a 2 hour dinner wiht KoreansQ1~! :D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I had a dream last night that somehow, because of NK belligerence, the US decided to launch missiles against Hong Kong. I recall being confused by the connection but then also wondered if Mono would be safe. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2013, 10:52:23 AM
I had a dream last night that somehow, because of NK belligerence, the US decided to launch missiles against Hong Kong. I recall being confused by the connection but then also wondered if Mono would be safe. :hmm:

That reminds me that I also had a dream last night.  I got sent to Venezuela on business to work with a bank down there on some sort of project.  Turns out the bank was staffed by half-wit Chavistas, but I still had to be nice to them since they were customers.  So I spent the whole time talking to them about baseball :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Thanks to the folks who posted in this thread.  Reminded me I'm up 20 on DGuller. :)

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2013, 11:47:30 AM
Thanks to the folks who posted in this thread.  Reminded me I'm up 20 on DGuller. :)
Checking your PMs would've reminded you as well. :contract:

DGuller

In hindsight, betting against a Korean on a Korean event was a little foolish.  :Embarrass:

mongers

Yeah, what's real odd about this, from verge of war, to bam, nothing, crisis as flat as last weeks birthday balloons and near zero media comment on that.

It's as if the whole thing really was an internal North Korea war hysteria crisis, and we in the West and the rest of the East, inadvertently tuned into a channel we shouldn't have been watching. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2013, 05:44:23 PM
Yeah, what's real odd about this, from verge of war, to bam, nothing, crisis as flat as last weeks birthday balloons and near zero media comment on that.

It's as if the whole thing really was an internal North Korea war hysteria crisis, and we in the West and the rest of the East, inadvertently tuned into a channel we shouldn't have been watching.
A pair of Chechens certainly helped as well.

Josquius

I recently watched the BBC documentary all the controversy was about.
It was...strange. Such a soft fluffy documentary touch yet using footage obtained via such dangerous means and about such a major issue...
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

DGuller is an honorable man who pays his debts. Further accolades are to follow!
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2013, 12:16:22 PM

So in the grand scheme of things, which of you has won more money off the other?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 25, 2013, 02:29:30 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2013, 12:16:22 PM

So in the grand scheme of things, which of you has won more money off the other?
I think I'm up about $50 lifetime on Yi.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point