Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

German is easier to learn than Korean by several degrees of magnitude.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 11:10:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2014, 10:42:11 AM
Those women in that picture, all want to suck his dick. That old dude too. That other dude did it & was not impressed.

I don't think they are all like DGuller is with Obama. :unsure:

Especially considering how Un handles breakups.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2014, 11:01:02 PM

I get the dynamic, but Tim is over there long term. Aside from making his day to day life easier with all the Koreans that don't speak English, he is going to seem either odd or lazy to live there so long and not learn the language. If he plans to stay longer, he really needs to learn the language to integrate with a wife and family.

I never think negatively of anyone who lives in HK and doesn't learn Chinese.  I do, however, consider those HK Chinese who don't learn English lazy. 

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2014, 12:37:23 AM
German is easier to learn than Korean by several degrees of magnitude.

I hear this a lot of times.  I often hear westerners say, if you live in a certain place, you should learn the language.  Over the years, I begin to understand that the gap between, say, Portugese and Spanish isn't that great.  Some of these folks just don't understand how different English and Chinese are.  This is one of the reasons I never blame anyone for living in HK and not learning Chinese.  The reverse however is not acceptable.  If you are a Chinese living in HK, I expect that you learn English  :menace:

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2014, 10:42:11 AM
Those women in that picture, all want to suck his dick. That old dude too. That other dude did it & was not impressed.
Dude, have some respect, that other dude and and his family were probably executed after this picture was analyzed by the authorities.

Josquius

QuoteI get the dynamic, but Tim is over there long term. Aside from making his day to day life easier with all the Koreans that don't speak English, he is going to seem either odd or lazy to live there so long and not learn the language. If he plans to stay longer, he really needs to learn the language to integrate with a wife and family.
I dunno, in Japan I've met many many people who have been here for a decade or more and still can barely mutter a word of Japanese. That's part of the problem really, its so easy to survive whilst remaining willfully monolingual, it's not like the old days when you really had to learn the language in order to have a full life. You can happily live in a English speaking bubble even in the smaller cities yet alone around the capitals.
Not that I at all approve of these people of course.

Quote from: Monoriu on April 02, 2014, 11:48:25 PM
Yeah, there are lots of these people, and they never cease to freak me out.  Even if I hear perfect Cantonese from, say, a Brit, I always respond in English. 

██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2014, 12:12:31 AM
My two English colleagues make an effort to learn German. I applaud their tenacity, but it's just so much easier to communicate to them in English rather than in halting pidgin German.

:ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

I was told that in Korea the customer is king. Is this true?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Korean vowels are bone simple.  Ah, eeh, eh, oh, ooh.  That's it.  :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2014, 01:18:17 PM
Korean vowels are bone simple.  Ah, eeh, eh, oh, ooh.  That's it.  :huh:

NSFW :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2014, 10:57:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:53:01 PM
What if there was a foreign looking person who was not a foreigner, grew up in Hong Kong, and spoke native level Cantonese.  Is that a thing or would that confuse and freak out people?
Sometimes you speak in what you know is for sure correct Korean and they just look at you with blank eyes not understanding you because Korean coming from a foreign just isn't a thing that could possibly happen.

Or maybe they just can't understand your pronunciation/accent..?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

celedhring

When I lived in NYC, hispanic people at bodegas and such would look at me with freaky eyes when I addressed them in Spanish. Then again, my accent was probably funny to them.

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on April 03, 2014, 02:20:22 PM
When I lived in NYC, hispanic people at bodegas and such would look at me with freaky eyes when I addressed them in Spanish. Then again, my accent was probably funny to them.
Do you have a Catalan accent?  Do you look Spanish?  I confess, I don't really know what Catalans even look like.   :hmm:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2014, 02:23:07 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 03, 2014, 02:20:22 PM
Do you have a Catalan accent?  Do you look Spanish?  I confess, I don't really know what Catalans even look like.   :hmm:

You need to feel the topology of their heads/skulls to know what one 'looks like'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"