Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Josquius

I do wonder whether trump goes to Korea is some attempt at a nixon goes to China moment.

Maybe they'll kidnap him.

That'd be nice.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2018, 03:50:43 AM
I do wonder whether trump goes to Korea is some attempt at a nixon goes to China moment.

Maybe they'll kidnap him.

That'd be nice.

His tweets would undergo a DPRK-style transformation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2018, 01:22:35 PM
Lindsay Graham with a little pre-summit diplomacy.

"The worst possible thing you can do is meet with President Trump in person and try to play him," the senator said.

Is that intentional or unintentional irony, do you think?

The Saudis met him in person and played him, Abe met him and played him, even Macron played him.  Then there's Putin . . .

Playing Trump is now the standard diplomatic move, allies and enemies alike.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

:wub:

Though it kinda looks like they're jumping off a building together.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

You have to admit it looks like the appeasement going for a decade or so, where NK would start posturing every time they ran out of food and the world would quickly stuff their mouth, didn't work out as well as Trump calling Roundhead's bluff and going gung-ho on him. Which is good as I hated the "aid for silence" scheme. It's called tribute.

Admiral Yi

I'm willing to bet Fathead is running a scam, if the bet can be structured correctly.

Valmy

I agree. South Korea always kisses the North's ass and gets nothing but humiliation in return.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

As the north steadily ups its rhetoric in the push stage it also increases its rhetoric in the pull stage.
I don't see the established pattern of pushing and pulling stopping soon. It's working for the north.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2018, 10:53:53 AM
As the north steadily ups its rhetoric in the push stage it also increases its rhetoric in the pull stage.
I don't see the established pattern of pushing and pulling stopping soon. It's working for the north.

No, it has been horrible for North Korea in every conceivable way. But it works great for the Kims.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2018, 10:26:10 AM
You have to admit it looks like the appeasement going for a decade or so, where NK would start posturing every time they ran out of food and the world would quickly stuff their mouth, didn't work out as well as Trump calling Roundhead's bluff and going gung-ho on him. Which is good as I hated the "aid for silence" scheme. It's called tribute.

The South hasn't been giving the North anything for years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Jacob

Okay, so what do we know:

Kim visited Xi in person recently.
Trump's said "he's willing to deal".
The deal involves demilitarizing and denuclearizing.

I guess in the medium term we'll see the US withdrawing (or redeploying) resources (so saving the US money), and that China's influence as regional hegemon will increase as a result?

EDIT: Maybe Xi told Kim 1) I will reign in China for the long term, so you can count on my word. 2) I will guarantee your regime, so you don't need nuclear weapons. 3) By giving up you nuclear weapons we can get the US out of the area and increase the economic stability of your regime.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2018, 12:53:40 PM
Okay, so what do we know:

Kim visited Xi in person recently.
Trump's said "he's willing to deal".
The deal involves demilitarizing and denuclearizing.

I guess in the medium term we'll see the US withdrawing (or redeploying) resources (so saving the US money), and that China's influence as regional hegemon will increase as a result?

EDIT: Maybe Xi told Kim 1) I will reign in China for the long term, so you can count on my word. 2) I will guarantee your regime, so you don't need nuclear weapons. 3) By giving up you nuclear weapons we can get the US out of the area and increase the economic stability of your regime.

God, I hope that happens.

My guess is that there will be some vague promises made, Trump will leave and declare victory, and the North Koreans will just do their own thing.  This is in my opinion an adequate solution.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017