Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

He's probably ogling women at a beach across the DMZ in South Korea.   

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Razgovory

"Kim Jong Il scans the horizon for the guy who called him fact".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

"There was candy in that dish when I went to the bathroom, now all the green striped ones are gone...Monkeybutt has to be out there SOMEWHERE!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

An important thing to remember in these tense times.

The Cleanest Race Page 65 and 66.
The DPRK's cult of military life is different from its Prussian or Japanese counterparts in that training is seen as going with and not against the grain of the recruit's instincts. Discipline is all well and good, but must never diminish the race's unique spontaneity.Indeed, in one "historical" novel from the 1950s, Kim Il Sung commands the headstrong young protagonist to stay away from the guerilla fighting in the hope that this order will be disregarded!

The film The Youths of the SS Seagull (Kalmaegiho ch'ǒngnyǒndŭl,1961) invites the audience to side with the boyish hero as he cheerfully flouts the rules of his ship, annoying superiors no end.Needless to say, he does so for the sake of the collective,overstaying his shore leave to win a prize pig for his crewmates' dinner, and so on. Still, such a story would have been inconceivable in the USSR.Even in war, soldiers are depicted as overgrown children. A tankdriver in the story Tank No. 214 (Ttangkǔ 214 ho, 1953):The skin was dark, but the face was both noble and adorable, like the face of a small child. Chǒn Ki-ryǒn's expression didn't even change when he rolled over the enemy.... Chǒn was a twenty one year old boy. A voice within Comrade Sǒ suddenly called out, "You kill people with a smile, you little rascal, you were born to beat the enemy!"

For all the army-as-school rhetoric, depictions of life in uniform dwell more on its healthy fraternal joys than its intellectual or physical rigors.

Boisterousness is smiled upon as the mark of truly Korean naivety and innocence. In 2006 a magazine article told approvingly of soldiers who vaulted a fence in a mad rush to welcome Kim Jong Il's sedan.

There has been no shortage of historical incidents—from the Panmunjom axe-killings of 1976 to the recent shooting of a South Korean tourist at the Kumansan resort, to say nothing of the army's maraudings during the famine—which indicate that this celebration of instinctive behavior has affected the culture of the real-life military. This in turn seems to have contributed to a certain friction between the military and the civilian population. At the very least, the latter is not unenvious of the special position accorded to the former. Hence the media's constant and strident emphasis on the need for unity and cooperation between soldiers and civilians.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The SS Seagull division was one of the lesser known SS formations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2013, 04:29:01 AM

The DPRK's cult of military life is different from its Prussian or Japanese counterparts in that training is seen as going with and not against the grain of the recruit's instincts. Discipline is all well and good, but must never diminish the race's unique spontaneity.Indeed, in one "historical" novel from the 1950s, Kim Il Sung commands the headstrong young protagonist to stay away from the guerilla fighting in the hope that this order will be disregarded!

The film The Youths of the SS Seagull (Kalmaegiho ch'ǒngnyǒndŭl,1961) invites the audience to side with the boyish hero as he cheerfully flouts the rules of his ship, annoying superiors no end.Needless to say, he does so for the sake of the collective,overstaying his shore leave to win a prize pig for his crewmates' dinner, and so on. Still, such a story would have been inconceivable in the USSR.Even in war, soldiers are depicted as overgrown children. A tankdriver in the story Tank No. 214 (Ttangkǔ 214 ho, 1953):The skin was dark, but the face was both noble and adorable, like the face of a small child. Chǒn Ki-ryǒn's expression didn't even change when he rolled over the enemy.... Chǒn was a twenty one year old boy. A voice within Comrade Sǒ suddenly called out, "You kill people with a smile, you little rascal, you were born to beat the enemy!"

For all the army-as-school rhetoric, depictions of life in uniform dwell more on its healthy fraternal joys than its intellectual or physical rigors.

Boisterousness is smiled upon as the mark of truly Korean naivety and innocence. In 2006 a magazine article told approvingly of soldiers who vaulted a fence in a mad rush to welcome Kim Jong Il's sedan.

There has been no shortage of historical incidents—from the Panmunjom axe-killings of 1976 to the recent shooting of a South Korean tourist at the Kumansan resort, to say nothing of the army's maraudings during the famine—which indicate that this celebration of instinctive behavior has affected the culture of the real-life military. This in turn seems to have contributed to a certain friction between the military and the civilian population. At the very least, the latter is not unenvious of the special position accorded to the former. Hence the media's constant and strident emphasis on the need for unity and cooperation between soldiers and civilians.

So the war will (re)start when some undisciplined rule breaker soldier shoots/shells/whatever the south?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2013, 04:29:01 AM

I read up recently on all the DMZ incidents since the beginning of the armistice.  This would explain a lot of those that happened in & around Panmunjom.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 01, 2013, 10:50:33 AM
So, has Lil' Kim send us his April Fools nuke yet?

Well he made the mistake of entrusting it to UPS, it'll probably blow-up/decay in some Philippines transport hub in 5-6 years time.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Gotta hand it to Obama, he's not backing down where his two predecessors might have.  We're continuing to move naval and air assets into the area and the White House is saying it's not seeing large-scale mobilization on the part of the Norks.  With early signs that Kim Jong Un is re-focusing on domestic issues, we may have called his bluff.

jimmy olsen

Don't really like this at all. That's just asking for things to spiral out of control.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2013/04/01/84/0301000000AEN20130401006852315F.HTML
Quote(2nd LD) Park calls for powerful response to N. Korean provocations
SEOUL, April 1 (Yonhap) -- President Park Geun-hye instructed South Korea's military Monday to set aside any political considerations and respond powerfully in the event of North Korean provocations, as Pyongyang has churned out near-daily threats of war on the divided peninsula.

Park made the unusually tough remark during a policy briefing at the defense ministry, saying she takes "very seriously" a recent string of North Korean moves and threats, such as the scrapping of a nonaggression treaty, the cutoff of a military hotline and the weekend declaration that inter-Korean ties have entered a "state of war."

"The reason for the military's existence is to protect the country and the people from threats. If any provocations happen against our people and our country, it should respond powerfully in the early stage without having any political considerations," Park said.

"As commander-in-chief of the armed forces, I will trust the military's judgment on abrupt and surprise provocations by North Korea as it is the one that directly faces off against the North," she said. "Please carry out your duty of guarding the safety of the people without getting distracted even a bit."

In recent weeks, Pyongyang has sharply ratcheted up tensions with repeated war threats against the South in anger over joint military exercises between South Korea and the United States as well as a new U.N. Security Council resolution adopted in response to its third nuclear test on Feb. 12.

It has declared the 1953 armistice, which ended the three-year Korean War, null and void, severed all hotlines with the South and threatened to launch nuclear attacks on South Korea and the mainland United States.

Last week, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un also put strategic rocket units on standby, threatening to strike targets in South Korea, the U.S. and military bases in Hawaii and Guam. And on Saturday, the North declared that inter-Korean relations have entered a state of war and threatened to shut down a joint industrial complex in its border city of Kaesong.

During the briefing, Park had a video call with the commander of the Navy's Second Fleet responsible for defense of the western sea border with North Korea and called for strong preparedness, according to presidential spokesman Yoon Chang-jung.

"The West Sea is where North Korean provocations have concentrated, and I remember that more provocations happened in the crab-catching season," Park said during the call. "On the shoulders of the Second Fleet is the heavy responsibility of not only guaranteeing the safety of fishermen and their livelihoods, but also (safeguarding) security and peace" of the country.

Park also had a similar video call with an Army division commander.

She also called for rooting out draft dodging, saying the crime gives the people a sense of unfairness, which she said could ultimately lead to a shaking in the country's security, according to the spokesman.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 01, 2013, 11:03:32 PM
Don't really like this at all. That's just asking for things to spiral out of control.

I don't know it seems to be pretty much in line with what ds posted above; to my uneducated eye the US and S.Korea  seem to be in step with each other.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"