50-Point Swing Against Targeted Drone Killings of U.S. Citizens

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Seems Paul has shifted the narrative on this. :)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/03/25/a_50_point_swing_against_targeted_drone_killings_of_u_s_citizens.html
QuoteA 50-Point Swing Against Targeted Drone Killings of U.S. Citizens

By David Weigel
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013, at 10:08 AM

A year ago, as the presidential race was taking shape, The Washington Post's pollster asked voters whether they favored the use of drones to kill terrorists or terror suspects if they were "American citizens living in other countries." The net rating at the time was positive: 65 percent for, 26 percent against.

Today, after a month of Rand Paul-driven discussion of drone warfare, Gallup asks basically the same question: Should the U.S. "use drones to launch airstrikes in other countries against U.S. citizens living abroad who are suspected terrorists?" The new numbers: 41 percent for, 52 percent against.

The lede of the poll is even kinder to Paul, finding as high as 79 percent opposition to targeted killing in the United States. But that's a new question. On the old question, we've seen a real queasy swing of public opinion.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Hmm, 79% are against targeted killings in the US?   :wacko:  That's a very scary number.  Hopefully the other 21% just didn't understand the question.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2013, 06:01:30 PM
Hmm, 79% are against targeted killings in the US?   :wacko:  That's a very scary number.  Hopefully the other 21% just didn't understand the question.

The other 21% are keeping an Enemies List.
and the horse you rode in on

dps

This might just be an illustration of how the way you phrase a question affects the answer. 

If you ask, "Do you favor the use of drones to kill terrorists or suspected terrorists in foreign countries, even if they are American citizens?", people are going to focus on the "kill terrorists" part, and that will lead a lot of people to answer "yes".

If you ask, "Should the U.S. use drones to launch airstrikes in other countries against U.S. citizens living abroad who are suspected terrorists?",  people are going to focus more on the "suspected" part, which might lead even people who would answer "yes" to the earlier question to say, "no".  (There would also be more focus on the "U.S. citizens" part, which would likely have the same affect.)

Razgovory

This might be an example of why you shouldn't post shit from Slate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Often a legitimate criticism, but not in this case. Any criticisms you have should be aimed at the respective polsters.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Why on Earth would poll results be relevant to national security?  :huh:

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2013, 01:53:56 AM
Why on Earth would poll results be relevant to national security?  :huh:

...because people here vote?
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2013, 05:58:09 PM
Seems Paul has shifted the narrative on this. :)

This is the exact sort of thing I was hoping Rand would do.  Glad to see it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2013, 01:44:08 AM
Often a legitimate criticism, but not in this case. Any criticisms you have should be aimed at the respective polsters.

But it's not that relevant a question.  Exactly how many Americans have been killed by drone strikes?  I doubt very many.  The other question about strikes in the US is even less relevant.  I don't think it's ever happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

The drones are irrelevant. Killings are justified or not regardless of the tools used to accomplish them.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2013, 01:44:08 AM

But it's not that relevant a question.  Exactly how many Americans have been killed by drone strikes?  I doubt very many.  The other question about strikes in the US is even less relevant.  I don't think it's ever happened.

So therefore we should set policies now before allowing precedent to do so for us.

derspiess

The other question about strikes in the US is even less relevant.  I don't think it's ever happened.

So it's best not to think about it at all, then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

It hasn't.  In fact, Eric Holder gave one of his rare, definite, no-strings-attached "no" answers when asked whether that could happen.  Clearly, Rand Paul should have been an Italian prosecutor- he won't stop until he tricks somebody into giving the answer he suspects.
Experience bij!