News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is objectification necessary for attraction?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 25, 2013, 05:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is objectification necessary for attraction?

Yes
12 (57.1%)
No
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

MadImmortalMan

One of the yahoo comments on that Esquire story said that without objectification, there could be no attraction.

Is this true? I mean, do you have to look at someone at least in part as a sex object before you can be attracted, and how is objectification defined? Does a model, male or female, who uses their attractiveness to help sell shit have a right to complain about being objectified, whatever the definition is? Is simply being attracted to a person objectifying them?

Vote both ways if you want.  :P

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

mongers

Of course not, we fall in love with their very soul. :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Objectification can mean different things, depending on who's doing the speaking.

If a good looking woman says it, it means you have to pretend she's smart.

If a homely woman says it, it means you have to stop looking at good looking women.

Viking

But seriously.. Objectification, like Hegemony and Imperialism and Paternalism is one of those post modern "technical" terms that seems to mean whatever is most useful for the author.

I know what I mean when I use it (the denial, mockery or apathy to/of moral person-hood, agency or identity). I deny my shoe has agency, I am apathetic to the identity of a spider and I mock the moral person-hood of Raz.

What do you mean when you use it?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 06:08:19 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 25, 2013, 05:58:16 PM
What do you mean when you use it?

I never use it.

Unfortunately I do, but only when discussing Post-Modern Feminist "scholarship".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Yes.  But since there is no such thing as soul or spirit beyond biological processes, all is object.  That makes things simpler.

Of course, even if there were, the only knowledge you possess of another is the mental object you've created, so whatever makes you want to fuck that, it's still objectification.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on March 25, 2013, 08:24:01 PM
Of course, even if there were, the only knowledge you possess of another is the mental object you've created, so whatever makes you want to fuck that, it's still objectification.

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yes, possibly? It's not always a bad thing.

QuoteWhat do you mean when you use it?
For me the key would be a sort of commodification (whoever's objectified can be owned or replaced by one of like quality) and denial of the object's subjectivity.

I'd love to read more about the 'gaze' though, which seems relevant to what we're talking about.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 08:32:19 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 25, 2013, 08:24:01 PM

:rolleyes:

How is that untrue?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

The lame bullshit about never knowing anyone else.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 05:53:29 PM
Objectification can mean different things, depending on who's doing the speaking.

If a good looking woman says it, it means you have to pretend she's smart.

If a homely woman says it, it means you have to stop looking at good looking women.
:D

Martinus

But to answer the question, if we are talking about sexual attraction, then definitely some sort of objectification is necessary.

At least objectification by men is more sincere, as they are still objectifying you because of your body, which is more innately "you", than your wallet or the kind of car you drive (which is what you are being objectified for by women).

Edit: On reflection, I have to refine this: not all males are attracted to good looking people; only alpha males are. This is because alpha males are looking for a partner they can take care of and provide for (with the eventual goal of creating offspring - even if, when you are talking about gay men, this is not biologically possible, the same impulse applies). On the other hand, beta males are looking for someone who will take care of them - which is why they are more attracted to symbols of status and power (and end up with uglier, older and/or fat sugar mommies/daddies).

Also explains why so many hipsters engage in white-knighting, fat acceptance and have uglier and older partners - since hipsters are probably the world's most "pure" beta male demographic.

I wonder if similar tendencies can be seen among women too, or are the chicks who end up as sugar mommies just settling?

garbon

Marti's attempts to enter the seduction community are even more nauseating than Drak's.