British Esquire editor stands by comments: Women are ‘ornamental’—just like cars

Started by garbon, March 25, 2013, 01:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: fahdiz on March 25, 2013, 04:36:42 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2013, 04:33:51 PM
Practical Caravan has a very similar circulation to that. It features homely middleaged women brewing up cups of tea for their beefy husbands as they cock-up yet another enhancement to their caravan.

.........or we have Railway Modeller with its dreadful front-page objectification of steam engines, they are transport workhorses goddamit............not pinups.

I won't even go into the Angling Times, front-page story "Top angler reveals 'smelly pellets' approach", a cruel objectification of our very own Ed Anger  :mad:

Men are interested in all sorts of stuff, sometimes one gets a bit peeved with this focus on a particular little sub-class of men.

:cheers: My favorite post of the thread. Shockingly, it's from one of my favorite Languishtas.

Okay yeah. That was just excellent.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2013, 03:46:31 PM
To reiterate:

The part that offends me the most is that he very specifically equates the women in his magazines to "things" such as hot cars. It may be just that he openly states it where others don't, but it's quite clear that the women in his magazine are not humans to him.

He doesn't say (or even suggest, IMO) that they aren't human.  He's not even saying that women are, or should be, just ornaments.  He's saying that their purpose in his magazine is strictly ornamental.  That's a bit of a difference, I think.

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2013, 04:22:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 04:12:29 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2013, 04:03:46 PM
Who reads Esquire anyway? I had assumed that it was for aspirational wankers who hadn't succeeded yet and probably wouldn't............is that fair?

Apparently British Esquire only has 56,000 as of Feb last year.

Heh. So maybe objectification of women doesn't sell? :D
why buy objectification when you can get it for free on the Internet :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

Esquire probably sold more magazines as a result of this scandal than they did all year.  ;)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2013, 06:34:08 PM
Esquire probably sold more magazines as a result of this scandal than they did all year.  ;)

I'm not sure I buy that. I mean sure they got a little press but how many people are there that are going to rush out and buy it because they want to see hot women? Really I think if there was any increase in circulation it would just be for folks who had forgotten it existed. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

It's a printed magazine.  Just because they have a truthful editor that upsets some hair-trigger feminists, that's no reason to spend money on something that outdated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2013, 02:52:22 PM
It is not as if Esquire is some unique snowflake in the world of glossy "lifestyle" magazines, they are mainly shit. So what do we do about it? Ban them because we are more enlightened  :P ?
I swear Esquire has some sort of connection to Piers Morgan. Can we ban them for that?

QuoteFat people should not be in the media as they provide wrong role models for easily impressionable people. Having fatsos is like having alcoholics and drug addicts as role models.
I don't entirely disagree :mellow:

This returns to my point about banning positive media portrayals of Piers Morgan.
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 02:43:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2013, 02:40:05 PM
It's entertainment.  Let us be entertained and don't force fat acceptance on us. 

But it isn't just entertainment, of course. Media portrayals do have an affect on people.
So does murder.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on March 25, 2013, 10:56:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 02:43:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2013, 02:40:05 PM
It's entertainment.  Let us be entertained and don't force fat acceptance on us. 

But it isn't just entertainment, of course. Media portrayals do have an affect on people.
So does murder.

And people are generally sour about that too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2013, 05:10:42 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
Fat people should not be in the media as they provide wrong role models for easily impressionable people. Having fatsos is like having alcoholics and drug addicts as role models.
Methinks the chubby Pole doth protest too much.

I believe there is a correlation between being gay and higher rates of suicide, so it could also be considered a health risk.  So maybe they shouldn't be in the media either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2013, 11:14:40 PM
Fat people should not be in the media as they provide wrong role models for easily impressionable people. Having fatsos is like having alcoholics and drug addicts as role models.

I believe there is a correlation between being gay and higher rates of suicide, so it could also be considered a health risk.  So maybe they shouldn't be in the media either.

Of course suicide rate probably wouldn't be so high if people were more accepting of gays.

Sorry to rain on your Marti-taunting parade. :blush:

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 11:16:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 25, 2013, 11:14:40 PM

Of course suicide rate probably wouldn't be so high if people were more accepting of gays.

Sorry to rain on your Marti-taunting parade. :blush:

If people were more accepting of fat people they would likely suffer from less stress and thus decreasing the chances of heart attack. :contract: Being gay or being fat is a health risk, and there are many elements that factor into that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Camerus

Of course they are - it's Esquire magazine.  Hot women will be used as a crude marketing tool until the day that enough men stop being interested in them.  Raging about it won't make one iota of difference.

That being said, you'd have to be a juvenile, superficial mouth-breather to enjoy that magazine.

garbon