British Esquire editor stands by comments: Women are ‘ornamental’—just like cars

Started by garbon, March 25, 2013, 01:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
Skinny Fat  Anyone not my ideal type of people should not be in the media as they provide wrong role models for easily impressionable people. Having too thin people fatsos anyone I don't particular find pleasing to me is like having alcoholics and drug addicts as role models.

:)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2013, 03:32:33 PM
Maybe if women stopped acting like ornaments and putting their ankles over their ears for stupid shit like money, status or security, maybe they wouldn't be looked at as ornaments.

This is true, though I doubt it.

Legbiter

Hey Marty do some bears complain about twink objectification in the gay community?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2013, 03:50:52 PM
Hey Marty do some bears complain about twink objectification in the gay community?

Yes because Marti is in touch with the wider gay community. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, of course.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 03:51:36 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2013, 03:50:52 PM

Yes because Marti is in touch with the wider gay community. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, of course.

They into fat acceptance as well?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Equire has an affect on women to the extent that the women want to be hott and turn to Esquire for tips on how to hotten up.  They have no more responsibility to provide positive, supportive role models for women than a random person walking down the street does.  Esquire doesn't value you for your brains and personality?  So fucking what.  Find your own validation.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2013, 03:52:44 PM
They into fat acceptance as well?

I've never heard anyone use the term fat acceptance. I would think generally recognized as unhealthy but they don't feel like changing...it's just a look.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 03:52:53 PM
Equire has an affect on women to the extent that the women want to be hott and turn to Esquire for tips on how to hotten up.  They have no more responsibility to provide positive, supportive role models for women than a random person walking down the street does.  Esquire doesn't value you for your brains and personality?  So fucking what.  Find your own validation.

Actually, I feel the same way. My concern isn't for women, in this case. It's more that men see the women portrayed in Esquire, and then expect something similar in real life. Case in point, the sharp elbows meme. In addition, because there is no real humanity in the pics of the women, for those men inclined to already treat women as objects rather than people, it supports that conviction and does nothing to say, "Hey, asshole, women are actually human."

Richard Hakluyt

Who reads Esquire anyway? I had assumed that it was for aspirational wankers who hadn't succeeded yet and probably wouldn't............is that fair?

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 25, 2013, 04:03:46 PM
Who reads Esquire anyway? I had assumed that it was for aspirational wankers who hadn't succeeded yet and probably wouldn't............is that fair?

I have no idea.  Even the target audience, aspiring wankers, would be online these days I would think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

They can look at the fancy cars and watches they will never buy, alongside pics of the hot women they will never date.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

I think it's targeted at the post-collegiate entry level type that's graduated beyond whacking off to Maxim in the dorm, but can't afford the shit in GQ yet.

garbon

Apparently British Esquire only has 56,000 as of Feb last year.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 02:43:05 PM
But it isn't just entertainment, of course. Media portrayals do have an affect on people.

For example, how dating is portrayed in popular media...