News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA football, 2013-14

Started by grumbler, March 21, 2013, 07:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2014, 02:29:06 PM

Clearly he is unaware of the secret negotiations to bring Wyoming into the Big 12.  But seriously getting Wyoming to win is not that much harder than getting Minnesota to win.  What is Bohl's stance on screaming 'First Down Motherfuckers'?

God I hope he just turns a blind eye to the student section.  It has always been hell raising and beer drinking, as you saw, but that was the way Wyoming has always been.  One of the old time chants when things went wrong for Wyoming was "Fuck...Fuck...Fuck, Fuck, FUCK!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Coach Bohl announces that Wyoming will have 2 colors, brown and gold (the school colors).  No more weird ass camo shit or 14 other ways to make uniforms - last year there were eagle wings on the shoulder pads...

All of the old timers had their first orgasm in years.  Nike representatives are distraught.  Big 10 ADs wonder why he didn't come there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on January 18, 2014, 09:22:00 PM
Coach Bohl announces that Wyoming will have 2 colors, brown and gold (the school colors).  No more weird ass camo shit or 14 other ways to make uniforms - last year there were eagle wings on the shoulder pads...

All of the old timers had their first orgasm in years.  Nike representatives are distraught.  Big 10 ADs wonder why he didn't come there.

There was only one job open in the Big Ten, and Franklin has more experience at big schools than Bohl.  Bohl could find himself in the Big Ten before too long.  I don't know if Purdue and Wisconsin ever looked at him after the 2012 season.  They didn't hire higher-profile guys than he.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Well there you go.  Cannot go to a Big 10 job if there are no Big 10 jobs.

Maybe after his fourth consecutive undefeated MWC championship season a job will come open.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I was kinda joshing with that last line:  The Wyoming old timers cannot have an orgasm, it might make them less cranky; Nike doesn't care about Wyoming; the Big 10 ADs wait a couple of years before poaching a MWC coach.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

dps

Nike might not care about Wyoming per se, but clearly they want to own the whole college football world (a king ain't satisfied till he rules everything).

MadBurgerMaker

The Domers are expanding their stadium:

http://crossroads.nd.edu/news/45871-biggest-notre-dame-project-ever-a-crossroads-of-academics-student-life-and-athletics/

Pictures in there.  Adding buildings and stuff.

Also there was a thing about Michigan possibly covering up the fact that their kicker raped someone in 2009.  And I guess his buddy Taylor Lewan was threatening to rape her again after she reported it.

Valmy

Hey MBM today is Mack and Sally Brown day here in Austin.  I clapped and baked some cookies to celebrate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Yay!  I hope there's some butter left at the store.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 30, 2014, 06:14:32 PM
Also there was a thing about Michigan possibly covering up the fact that their kicker raped someone in 2009.  And I guess his buddy Taylor Lewan was threatening to rape her again after she reported it.

Yeah, this was one of those "storm in a tea cup" cases.  The kicker, Gibbons, was investigated by the police based on a claim by a woman that he had raped her while they were both drunk at a party.  After the initial claim, she refused to cooperate further with the police, so they eventually dropped the case.  The university was either never informed because the police never reached the stage of filing charges, or it was informed but couldn't proceed because the woman refused to cooperate.

University policies on such cases changed between 2011 and 2013 to include the policy of investigating "sexual misconduct" even if the woman refused to complain. They did so in the four-year-old Gibbons case, and uncovered enough evidence to conclude that Gibbons was more likely than not to have violated the student code of conduct, even though he hadn't committed a crime according to the legal system.  The result was that he was nominally kicked out of the school, even though he had already graduated and his football eligibility (except for maybe a bowl game) was over. There is no evidence of any coverup.  The school followed its 2009 policy in 2009, and its 2013 policy in 2013.  In both cases it took the case as far as it could, and the athletic department was never involved.

Some people are making a big deal out of the fact that Hoke stated that Gibbons was not in Phoenix for the chicken wings bowl because Gibbons was dealing with "family matters" rather than because Gibbons had been kicked out of the school, but it looks like federal student privacy laws made it impossible for Hoke to be the one to announce Gibbons's "permanent separation" from the university.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Oh, and the Taylor Lewan "charges" were of the "a friend of a friend heard him say..." variety.  He's pretty much a giant asshole, though, so I certainly wouldn't disbelieve actual evidence that he had done something like this.

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

So a false accusation got him kicked out? That's shitty if true. He didn't lose his degree did he?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2014, 01:35:45 PM
So a false accusation got him kicked out? That's shitty if true. He didn't lose his degree did he?

The investigation turned up evidence that he violated the Michigan code of conduct.  I don't see the shittyness there.

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2014, 01:35:45 PM

He wasn't found guilty of the crime of rape, but was found to have violated the Michigan Student Code of Conduct for"sexual misconduct."  What that appears to have meant in this case (which is protected by some pretty hefty privacy laws, so much of what we know is speculation) seems to be that he got the consent of the woman when she was too drunk to give "proper consent."  That's a bootable offense, apparently.

She complained to the police the next day, and went through the whole rape kit bit, but conceded that after she had supposedly been raped, she voluntarily gave Gibbons a hummer.  She still believed that she hadn't consented to sex, but also seemed to think that her case was too confused and uncertain to press.

He lost nothing but a semester of grad school he wasn't going to return for anyway, and a bowl game he couldn't have played in, anyway, due to injury.

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Seems shitty to kick the dude out if that's all it was.

Quote from: grumbler on January 31, 2014, 01:34:28 PM
Oh, and the Taylor Lewan "charges" were of the "a friend of a friend heard him say..." variety.  He's pretty much a giant asshole, though, so I certainly wouldn't disbelieve actual evidence that he had done something like this.

He's the one with the mustache tattoo on his finger, right?