News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA football, 2013-14

Started by grumbler, March 21, 2013, 07:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: grumbler on January 09, 2014, 01:10:30 PM
You are engaging in the fallacy that the NCAA isn't the schools' collective creation.  Saying that universities would only do something if it was "it was imposed from above" and then mention the NCAA as though it was "above" the schools is to misunderstand the entire nature of the NCAA.  If the school presidents want to do something, they are the decision-makers for the NCAA.  All it takes is the decision by the leading schools to do it, and it will be done.  The presidents care about fair competition, not quarterback ratings.

Like the government is the collective creation of the people?  Does that mean the government can't impose anything on anybody?  Any change in rulings by the NCAA is unlikely to be supported by all the schools, therefore it would have to be "imposed" on some of the schools even if the vast majority supported the change.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on January 09, 2014, 06:07:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2014, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 09, 2014, 01:50:34 PM
Yessssssss it's official:  Bobby Petrino back to Lville.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24403353/bobby-petrino-says-louisville-is-his-destination-job

Lolz

That is amazing. 

What the heck has the Louisville AD been smoking?

Because he wants to win?

He has as much of a winning track record as almost any coach in the country--and a longer one than the coach that just left for Texas. Yes he was constantly looking to move up, but unless he truly wins in a huge way he has too much baggage to get a job at an elite school or the NFL.

I wouldn't refuse to hire a guy because he might win a shitload of games and then take a bigger job.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2014, 01:22:14 PM
Quote from: dps on January 09, 2014, 06:07:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2014, 03:35:41 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2014, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 09, 2014, 01:50:34 PM
Yessssssss it's official:  Bobby Petrino back to Lville.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24403353/bobby-petrino-says-louisville-is-his-destination-job

Lolz

That is amazing. 

What the heck has the Louisville AD been smoking?

Because he wants to win?

He has as much of a winning track record as almost any coach in the country--and a longer one than the coach that just left for Texas. Yes he was constantly looking to move up, but unless he truly wins in a huge way he has too much baggage to get a job at an elite school or the NFL.

I wouldn't refuse to hire a guy because he might win a shitload of games and then take a bigger job.

Yeah, I can kind of see it.  Petrino had success at Louisville before, but admittedly his career has been something of a dumpster fire since.  It's a pretty old story - he comes crawling back to the place of his original success, only this time he agrees to a $10 million dollar early termination clause.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

And always left the place he was just at a trainwreck?  Sounds like you are begging for years of losing seasons once he leaves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2014, 01:27:40 PM
Yeah, I can kind of see it.  Petrino had success at Louisville before, but admittedly his career has been something of a dumpster fire since.  It's a pretty old story - he comes crawling back to the place of his original success, only this time he agrees to a $10 million dollar early termination clause.

He went to the Falcons and left voluntarily on very bad terms. But then he went to Arkansas and did a ridiculously good job--he took a very mediocre team and had them poised for a national title run. That was when he was caught with his 25 year old girlfriend in a motorcycle crash, starting a chain of events that led to his firing and him becoming a laughingstock.

He then took the job at Western Kentucky, a competitor for worst job in the country, and has been doing a lights out job there - he actually beat an SEC team this year (Kentucky, but they are technically in the SEC).

His resume, less the shameless looking for better jobs and quitting as soon as they come along plus girlfriend on motorcycle fiascos, looks like he is as good as any coach in the country. He has a lot of dumpster fire episodes off the field, but W/L wise he has stayed stellar.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2014, 01:28:47 PM

And always left the place he was just at a trainwreck?  Sounds like you are begging for years of losing seasons once he leaves.

This is a really good article on Petrino for a year or so ago that goes into why programs hit the skids once he leaves.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19625175/crawford-why-post-petrino-life-is-no-picnic?clienttype=printable

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2014, 01:36:04 PM
He went to the Falcons and left voluntarily on very bad terms. But then he went to Arkansas and did a ridiculously good job--he took a very mediocre team and had them poised for a national title run. That was when he was caught with his 25 year old girlfriend in a motorcycle crash, starting a chain of events that led to his firing and him becoming a laughingstock.

Yeah and how long has Arkansas been trying to repair the damage he did?  For whatever reason when he leaves be prepared for disaster.  The guy does great in the short term but you have to wonder if he stayed around would it eventually come crashing down?  Past results sort of suggest that is the case.

Maybe we might even find out at Louisville :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2014, 01:36:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2014, 01:27:40 PM

He then took the job at Western Kentucky, a competitor for worst job in the country, and has been doing a lights out job there - he actually beat an SEC team this year (Kentucky, but they are technically in the SEC).

His resume, less the shameless looking for better jobs and quitting as soon as they come along plus girlfriend on motorcycle fiascos, looks like he is as good as any coach in the country. He has a lot of dumpster fire episodes off the field, but W/L wise he has stayed stellar.

I wasn't pretending to give a precise run down of Petrino's post-Louisville career. I would continue to argue that "something of a dumpster fire" is an appropriate summary.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2014, 01:37:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2014, 01:28:47 PM

This is a really good article on Petrino for a year or so ago that goes into why programs hit the skids once he leaves.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19625175/crawford-why-post-petrino-life-is-no-picnic?clienttype=printable

Ah ok that is interesting.

Maybe Louisville will have learned its lesson next time he bolts on them.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2014, 01:47:52 PM
I wasn't pretending to give a precise run down of Petrino's post-Louisville career. I would continue to argue that "something of a dumpster fire" is an appropriate summary.

The motorcycle incident kind of overshadows everything.

But his teams have always been very well coached and exciting to watch. I'm glad he is back in big time football and in the ACC.

And if he ends up crashing another motorcyle with a new girlfriend, that will be fun too.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2014, 01:55:21 PM

But his teams have always been very well coached and exciting to watch. I'm glad he is back in big time football and in the ACC.

And if he ends up crashing another motorcyle with a new girlfriend, that will be fun too.

Hey I am not saying this will not be incredibly entertaining for the rest of us, just thought it was crazy to invite back the dude who abused them.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2014, 01:55:21 PM

I'll always remember him (and I only casually follow NCAA football, so remembering anyone is saying something) for the disaster in Atlanta.

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on January 10, 2014, 12:34:35 PM
Like the government is the collective creation of the people?  Does that mean the government can't impose anything on anybody?  Any change in rulings by the NCAA is unlikely to be supported by all the schools, therefore it would have to be "imposed" on some of the schools even if the vast majority supported the change. 

No, like the US government is the US President.  Does that mean the US government can impose on the US President? Any changes in rules by the presidents of the universities is not going to be "imposed from above."  There is no one above the presidents of the universities.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2014, 01:57:24 PM

I'll always remember him (and I only casually follow NCAA football, so remembering anyone is saying something) for the disaster in Atlanta.

He is hated in Atlanta over what happened.

I don't understand why. The team was having an awful year. Yes he quit in the middle of the season, but the season was over. The team had nothing to play for besides a draft pick.

Yes he quit in his first year, but it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that he was going to be fired anyway. Even if he wasn't, if he decided the NFL wasn't his passion it was probably better for everyone that he went back to college.   

I think people were just pissed off about the season, and Petrino rage was a good way to vent. Plus the media loves a good heel storyline, and Petrino played the part here.

alfred russel

UGA has a new defensive coordinator....Hired from FSU.  :lol: