News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on December 26, 2009, 04:01:20 PM
After playing a second game, I am convinced that the itty bitty French vassals need to be removed and France should control those places directly from the start. Otherwise, with a 1399 start, AI France invariably gets crushed (usually by Burgundy, sometimes also by England and Castile). Only Brittany and Provence/Anjou should really be independent, the rest of them should just be merged with France right away. After all, there aren't separate earldoms in England, or other feudal vassals in Castile, Sweden, Poland, or wherever, so there's no reason for France to be singled out.

In the five-odd GCs I've started as Castille (playing through the first hundred years or so to get the feel of things), I've only seen France crushed by their neighbors once.  I hardly thinks it's an "invariable" thing for them to do so.  Nonetheless, those vassal states are a rather large drag on the home country, but without them you have the issue of a united France beating up everyone around them rather handily.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

As well I can't think of historical examples of English or Castillian vassals actively allying or plotting with foreign powers the way it happened in France during that time period.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on December 26, 2009, 04:01:20 PM
After playing a second game, I am convinced that the itty bitty French vassals need to be removed and France should control those places directly from the start. Otherwise, with a 1399 start, AI France invariably gets crushed (usually by Burgundy, sometimes also by England and Castile). Only Brittany and Provence/Anjou should really be independent, the rest of them should just be merged with France right away. After all, there aren't separate earldoms in England, or other feudal vassals in Castile, Sweden, Poland, or wherever, so there's no reason for France to be singled out.
It didn't turn out that way in my Ottoman game on the latest beta.  France blobbed up very nicely, up to their modern borders and then a little beyond, by the time of the Reformation.  However, it seems like they're on an irreversible path towards collapse as of this moment.  They got suckered into becoming a badboy, with all one province minors DOWing them and then surprisingly getting annexed.  If that wasn't enough, after at least a solid decade of BB wars, with a WE of merely 18, they decided to convert to Protestant.  Good luck with that.

Razgovory

Protestantism is the path to ruin.  I've never been able to do well as the Ottomans.  Since historically they conquered alot of their coreligionists following that path leads to alot of badboy.  Conquering the the Egyptians is tough.  And when you finally get to the point where you are besieging Alexandria Hungary decides to declare war.   Though I did once manage to turn Russia into a progressive democratic and technologically superior state, which is pretty unrealistic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on December 26, 2009, 04:23:22 PM
As well I can't think of historical examples of English or Castillian vassals actively allying or plotting with foreign powers the way it happened in France during that time period.

I think both those nations stopped doing such silly things hundreds of years earlier. Silly shit like that brought in the Moors and Louis I of England. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

I've been trying to get "Ewige Landesfrieden" as Holy Roman Emperor as Great Britain. I've done it 4 times now. I don't get a Diet event telling me no even. Anybody know what's going on there? Would it help if I vassalized everybody or got them all to +200 ?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

What are you trying to do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2009, 06:30:39 PM
What are you trying to do?

Well, form the HRE obviously. Ewige Landesfrieden is one of the steps in forming it.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on December 26, 2009, 06:05:09 PM

I think both those nations stopped doing such silly things hundreds of years earlier. Silly shit like that brought in the Moors and Louis I of England.

Hence why I said "in that time period".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Quote from: Viking on December 26, 2009, 06:07:26 PM
I've been trying to get "Ewige Landesfrieden" as Holy Roman Emperor as Great Britain. I've done it 4 times now. I don't get a Diet event telling me no even. Anybody know what's going on there? Would it help if I vassalized everybody or got them all to +200 ?

I've had that too. It seems you cannot have the game paused while selecting the HRE reforms, or they won't fire (though imperial power is still subtracted).

Solmyr

Quote from: Viking on December 26, 2009, 06:05:09 PM

War of the Roses? War of Castilian succession? Granted in the former there wasn't a lot of international interference (IIRC) but still, those conflicts saw some part of the nobility oppose the reigning monarch. This is already simulated via events in the game, why would France be special and also have actual vassals?

Btw, in my games it's usually Burgundy blobbing, after it crushes France.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2009, 06:04:44 PM
Protestantism is the path to ruin.
It can work well, just don't do it when only 20% of your provinces are Protestant, and you're at maximum war exhaustion.
QuoteI've never been able to do well as the Ottomans.  Since historically they conquered alot of their coreligionists following that path leads to alot of badboy.  Conquering the the Egyptians is tough.  And when you finally get to the point where you are besieging Alexandria Hungary decides to declare war.   Though I did once manage to turn Russia into a progressive democratic and technologically superior state, which is pretty unrealistic.
Actually, the fellow Muslims help me out by becoming bad boys.  I've driven the Mameluks back to Egypt without ever paying more than 1 Infamy point per province.  At this point I think I can vassalize them with a subjugation mission.  Castille and Portugal are also doing their part on their end of Africa, so hopefully they'll take care of some Muslim states on their own.

katmai

Yeah in my limited experience now (3 GC games) Burgundy is the Blob on the Continent.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on December 26, 2009, 06:07:26 PM
It would help.  When you have no notice, it means that the majority voted down your proposal.  Check the log, you'll see it.  Try proposing it after you've come to the aid of a couple of HRE members, and everyone is over the moon with you.

DGuller

In my Ottoman game, Burgundy is down to OPM status.  The fatal blow was it collapsing and releasing two big Low Countries.