News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2009, 08:49:39 PM
Would be nice when you change tech groups you get to use Western military units as well.  I played a game as Russia and was by far the most advanced country in the world but my units were still crap.

Easy enough to edit that.

DGuller

Has anyone tried stuff like moving their capital to a Western European core, and adopting their culture?  Or even trying to form another nation (like Byzantines forming Germany)?

DGuller

BTW, has anyone tried world conquest in EU3?  How do you stave off the utter boredom of it?  I'm playing as Sweden (now Scandinavia), I've conquered up to Ural mountains on the east, almost down to Thrace on the south, and up against France on the west, with 200+ years to spare.  It seems like I have plenty of time to finish the conquest, but I just suddenly lost my desire to keep playing that game.  It sucks not being a high school student anymore, with plenty of time to spare.

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on November 23, 2009, 09:13:50 PM
BTW, has anyone tried world conquest in EU3?  How do you stave off the utter boredom of it?

It's tough, but I've done it a couple of times (England, Byzantium, Timurids).

Josephus

Quote from: DGuller on November 23, 2009, 09:13:50 PM
BTW, has anyone tried world conquest in EU3?  How do you stave off the utter boredom of it?

To me the sheer boredom of WCs is spending most of that time playing whack-a-rebel.

In fact, much as I like EU3, there's a lot of micromanaging that steals the fun out of it sometimes. Like having a couple ships patrolling each of your coastline provinces to stave off pirating. Not that hard, but every time you're at war (which if you're playing WC, is often), you have to pull them back to harbour or they'll get hung to dry by enemy stacks. And then, after the war, you got to go pirate bashing before you can put your patrols out again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Again, not bashing it. The EU series is the best P'dox game, but the sheer repetition of boring, game-slowing things, gets to me sometimes.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

I turned off the pirates.  With the pirates on, I managed to stave off my boredom by getting incredibly infuriated with that bullshit, and quitting way before getting set for WC.  Worst. Feature. Ever.

As for what bores me, even the wars themselves do.  I still have to mop up a couple of big or middling European powers.  That's no challenge at all militarily, it's pretty much a mass execution, but you need so many freaking wars to wear down a country like France.  It's just rinse and repeat, and nibble off a few more provinces one war at a time.

Josephus

Forgot all about the fact you can turn pirates off with IN. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2009, 10:09:42 AM
In fact, much as I like EU3, there's a lot of micromanaging that steals the fun out of it sometimes. Like having a couple ships patrolling each of your coastline provinces to stave off pirating. Not that hard, but every time you're at war (which if you're playing WC, is often), you have to pull them back to harbour or they'll get hung to dry by enemy stacks. And then, after the war, you got to go pirate bashing before you can put your patrols out again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

With the next expansion, fleets in ports will have an anti-pirate patrol zone into neighboring sea zones (how for out it goes depends on naval tech level, apparantly) where pirates won't spawn.  So no more micromanaging getting all your fleets off patrol when you go to war, and then having to defeat the pirates and get the fleets back on patrol after the war.  (They will lose their anit-pirate zone if they are blockaed in port during a war, but that seems reasonable.)  Also, it seems that pirates will be eliminated if they lose a battle, so they won't retreat into zones where you had kept them from spawning, which has been another problem with pirates.

EDIT:  HEY, the official 3.2 patch is out!

DGuller

That seems like the most sensible way to incorporate pirates.  The idea is to tie down the fleet, not to exterminate the large chunk of paying customers by making them suicidal.

HisMajestyBOB

Personally, I don't see the fun in WC. I've never gotten close, because it'd just get tedious. Plus, I'm sure its much more annoying and hard in Magna Mundi, which I play almost exclusively.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

dps

Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2009, 12:05:45 AM
That seems like the most sensible way to incorporate pirates. 

Yeah, I had advocated pretty much the same thing.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: ulmont on November 12, 2009, 07:19:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2009, 07:14:24 PM
There obviously are some byzantine fanbois in Paradox to allow this to happen.  I don't think other Orthodox countries have that option... :shifty:

You are: Wrong.  All countries in the chinese, indian, african, or new world tech groups can westernize to the muslim tech group; all countries in the muslim tech group can westernize to the eastern (orthodox) tech group; and all countries in the eastern (orthodox) tech group can westernize to the latin tech group.

You do need to have a latin-tech neighbor to have the option, and your army units stay in your original group (not a big deal until the late game; eastern cavalry is actually better than latin most of the game).

Once you've moved up one level, can you then move on the next? Say you go from Muslim to Eastern, can you then move on from Eastern to Latin?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 25, 2009, 04:25:52 AM
Quote from: ulmont on November 12, 2009, 07:19:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2009, 07:14:24 PM
There obviously are some byzantine fanbois in Paradox to allow this to happen.  I don't think other Orthodox countries have that option... :shifty:

You are: Wrong.  All countries in the chinese, indian, african, or new world tech groups can westernize to the muslim tech group; all countries in the muslim tech group can westernize to the eastern (orthodox) tech group; and all countries in the eastern (orthodox) tech group can westernize to the latin tech group.

You do need to have a latin-tech neighbor to have the option, and your army units stay in your original group (not a big deal until the late game; eastern cavalry is actually better than latin most of the game).

Once you've moved up one level, can you then move on the next? Say you go from Muslim to Eastern, can you then move on from Eastern to Latin?

Yeah, but not right away.  You lose 5 stability to westernize, and one of the pre-reqs for westernizing is that you be at +3 stabilty.  So you'll have to spend some time regaining stability first, and hope that your ruler doesn't die in the meantime--or at least if he does, he's replaced by another with a high enough administration rating (has to be 7 or better, IIRC).

ulmont

Admin 6.  And yes, you can westernize multiple times...Prawnstar on the AAR board fully westernized the iroquois and almost managed a world conquest with them.

Josephus

That's good to hear, about the pirates, DPS.
Civis Romanus Sum