And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Grallon on November 14, 2009, 10:57:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 14, 2009, 03:22:11 AM

Yes. SRI has all the good parts of MMP2 minus the deterministic crap.

What you call deterministic is in fact plausability.  Left on its own the AI des stupid shit so it needs to be guided.

G.

No. SRI does very well on the plausability department without handing Russia to Muscowy on an event plate, or hardcoding colonization bans

Barrister

So although I'm spending more time playing Dragon Age, I'm still continuing with my Byzantium game of EU3 a bit here and there (mostly at times when I want to play a game, but without any sound).

I've somehow lost the option for Westernizing.  That is to say it doesn't even appear greyed out.  At first I thought it was because I had annexed the Knights / Athens, who were my neighbors in the Western tech group.  So I figured I'd invade Italy and take a couple of provinces, which I did.  But I still don't see Westernizing as an option.

Is it because Naples isn't in the western group?
Is it because it needs to be connected by land to my capital?
Or is it something else altogether?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Do you need your neighboring province to core up?  I dunno myself.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2009, 12:37:39 PM
I've somehow lost the option for Westernizing.  That is to say it doesn't even appear greyed out.  At first I thought it was because I had annexed the Knights / Athens, who were my neighbors in the Western tech group.  So I figured I'd invade Italy and take a couple of provinces, which I did.  But I still don't see Westernizing as an option.

Or is it something else altogether?

Not sure.  The requirements for the decision are:

Quote* Belong to a non Latin tech group
    * Have a neighbouring nation that belongs to the Latin tech group
    * Stability of +3
    * Have a ruler with administrative skills of 6 or more
    * Centralization of -2 or less
    * Innovative of -3 or less
http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Westernization

I don't know which of these you have to match to see the decision greyed out, but the most likely one you don't meet now is the admin 6 ruler.

Looking at the rotw->muslim decision (only one I found in quick searching, and my work computer unsurprisingly does not have eu3 on it), the only requirements to see the decision greyed are being in a rotw tech group and neighboring a latin tech group country.

DGuller

All the numerical settings sound like something that would be on shown on a tooltip, the one that tells you what requirement you're missing.

Barrister

The problem is I don't even "see" the decision.  I know I don't meet the requirements (for example I'm still not innovative enough).  I used to be able to see the decision, even though I didn't qualify to be able to enact it...

Maybe by enacting the theme system it means I can not westernize?

ulmont

Unlikely.

Don't think so.  Most AARs with strange westernizations do things like selling a random province to the West or conquering milan or similar.

Just found the potential for eastern westernization, and it only requires a latin neighbor and being in the eastern tech group, so you got me.  Surprised you could be the Byzantines and not neighbor a latin country, though; no Hungarian or Wallachian border?

ulmont

Here's the decision:

eastern_westernisation = {
potential = {
technology_group = eastern
any_neighbor_country = {
technology_group = latin
}
}
allow = {
NOT = { centralization_decentralization = -1 }
NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = -2 }
stability = 3
ADM = 6
}
effect = {
technology_group = latin
random_owned = {
base_tax = 1
}
innovative_narrowminded = -1
stability = -5
add_country_modifier = {
name = "western_influences"
duration = 200
}
}
ai_will_do = {
factor = 1
}
}

As you can see, if you're in the eastern tech group with a latin-tech neighbor, you should see it.

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on November 17, 2009, 01:31:17 PM
Don't think so.  Most AARs with strange westernizations do things like selling a random province to the West or conquering milan or similar.

Just found the potential for eastern westernization, and it only requires a latin neighbor and being in the eastern tech group, so you got me.  Surprised you could be the Byzantines and not neighbor a latin country, though; no Hungarian or Wallachian border?

Wallachia is gone, but I neighbor Hungary and Poland (both of which are gettig a bit blobby).

Huh - quite odd.  Maybe I'll need to ask at Paradox.  If only work didn't block Paradox's servers...

dps

I thought that Hungary wasn't in the Latin tech group.  Actually, I know that at one time it wasn't, but that may have been changed.  OTOH, Naples definately is in the Latin tech group.

Are you absolutely sure that you didn't westernize and not realize it?   :unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: dps on November 17, 2009, 06:23:56 PM
I thought that Hungary wasn't in the Latin tech group.  Actually, I know that at one time it wasn't, but that may have been changed.  OTOH, Naples definately is in the Latin tech group.

Are you absolutely sure that you didn't westernize and not realize it?   :unsure:

Definitely.  I don't meet the requirements, and I would rememebr a -5 stab hit.

Looking at that event though the only potential is having a western neighbor.  I only just took the 2 provinces from Naples, perhaps upon reload the event will re-appear.

Barrister

Of course this goes to show perhaps the game is too easy for a human player who isn't setting a lot of house rule limits.  50 years in and I've already gone from a 2 province minor to owning greece and 90% of anatolia, and creeping up the Italian penninsula and the balkans...

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2009, 06:28:26 PM
Quote from: dps on November 17, 2009, 06:23:56 PM

Definitely.  I don't meet the requirements, and I would rememebr a -5 stab hit.

Looking at that event though the only potential is having a western neighbor.  I only just took the 2 provinces from Naples, perhaps upon reload the event will re-appear.

This would appear to be it.  The event re-appeared on reload.

HisMajestyBOB

MMP2 appears to have gotten too deterministic with colonization. At least 1.15 doesn't give your colonies away anymore, but I still think I'll wait a while longer before trying it. MMP is quite good enough for me right now.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Would be nice when you change tech groups you get to use Western military units as well.  I played a game as Russia and was by far the most advanced country in the world but my units were still crap.  I've got an itch to start playing this again, I'm reading that history of the 30 years war.  I wish to exterminate protestantism. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017