Games that absolutely blew you away when you first played them?

Started by Syt, March 16, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2013, 12:36:05 AM
To be fair, I think playing on a PvP server also killed it for me at the time - nothing like wanting to do some quests in Stranglethorn Vale and then spending half the evening getting ganked by bored level 60 rogues. :blush:

:unsure:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 05:57:35 PM
The one game I didn't see here that I would add is Balance of Power.  Flawed and frustrating, yet very sophisticated for its time.

I was going to mention it, but then I fell asleep.  Like I did when I'd load it on my old Tandy.
I still have the book he wrote about it, though.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

SimCity
Wing Commander I, III and Privateer.
X-Wing
Civilization
Star Control II
Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII and X
Chronotrigger
Xenogears
Super Street Fighter II
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Mass Effect
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 20, 2013, 08:15:15 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 20, 2013, 06:12:44 PM
- Seven Cities of Gold
Greatest computer game of all time. :cool:

You might be interested in Pioneers, then (still in alpha, but supposedly already quite playable).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on March 20, 2013, 11:28:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 20, 2013, 09:23:11 PM
Super Street Fighter II
Hm.  Super, not CE?
I suppose you could just say SF2, since I first played and loved the original.  But Super was the best incarnation and the one I played the most.  Cammy and T-Hawk for the win.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

fhdz

Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2013, 12:16:59 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 20, 2013, 08:15:15 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 20, 2013, 06:12:44 PM
- Seven Cities of Gold
Greatest computer game of all time. :cool:

You might be interested in Pioneers, then (still in alpha, but supposedly already quite playable).

Holy shit, I WANT THAT.
and the horse you rode in on

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Caliga

Hee, I got Seven Cities of Gold sort of working on my Nexus 10 tablet with a Commodore 64 emulator.  I say 'sort of' because the game will load and you can start playing it, but when you try to board your ship the sprite representing your captain just walks clear off the top of the screen, then comes back on to the screen from the bottom, looping forever. :lol:

Maybe I'll get an Atari 800 emulator and try the Atari version.  I've heard it's better than the Commodore version anyway.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 09:55:41 AM

Maybe I'll get an Atari 800 emulator and try the Atari version.  I've heard it's better than the Commodore version anyway.

HERESY!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Oh, how could I forget Nethack and Dwarf Fortress in this thread?
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

You assholes are making want to break out the emulators.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive