Games that absolutely blew you away when you first played them?

Started by Syt, March 16, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2013, 01:02:17 PM
Why would someone name a fantasy kingdom after a real kingdom?

Why not? It sounds exotic and most who played the game probably hadn't heard of the real one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2013, 01:02:17 PM
Why would someone name a fantasy kingdom after a real kingdom?

Cause coming up with a large number of fantasy place names is hard.  It's not uncommon for authors or game designers to steal names.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Fantasy names should be evocative, just randomly splicing syllables together doesn't make for good names even if they are generally original.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Ideally, they should also follow a certain logic. Does your made up fantasy land have a common word for "City", "Fort(ress)", "Settlement", "Village", "Crossing" etc. that should appear in location names (Minas Tirtih, Minas Morgul)? Or do you create fictional names in your own language based on your setting (think the Shire: Frogmorton, Bywater, Depphollow, Tuckborough . . .).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Warspite

It's annoying when fantasy authors, whether in books or games, seem to think that throwing in Qs, gutteral stops and consonant strings suffice to indicate an exotic language.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Alcibiades

Grand Theft Auto 3,  completely blew me away with its sandbox nature.

World War 2 online, also.   Such great times, really miss playing it but don't think it will be the same if I try again..
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Drakken

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 24, 2013, 12:39:06 PM
World War 2 online, also.   Such great times, really miss playing it but don't think it will be the same if I try again..

Agreed. Me as a French tank commander in a Kursk-like heavily exchanged tank battle with the Nazis is among the best recollections of my gaming life.

Sadly, though, still no Artillery. <_<

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2013, 12:13:45 AM
Ideally, they should also follow a certain logic. Does your made up fantasy land have a common word for "City", "Fort(ress)", "Settlement", "Village", "Crossing" etc. that should appear in location names (Minas Tirtih, Minas Morgul)? Or do you create fictional names in your own language based on your setting (think the Shire: Frogmorton, Bywater, Depphollow, Tuckborough . . .).

Tolkien had the benefit of being a linguist.  Still he stole names like almost all of the Dwarf names, and the names of Frodo and his father Drogo.  I do agree that names should have a ryme or reason.  I remember the old AD&D campaign Birthright, where they needed to create hundreds of names for provinces.  For most of the names they looked at real world place names and changed a syllable or letter. It worked fairly well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Solmyr

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2013, 12:33:16 AM
I remember the old AD&D campaign Birthright, where they needed to create hundreds of names for provinces.  For most of the names they looked at real world place names and changed a syllable or letter. It worked fairly well.

Unless you knew the original languages those names were taken from. :D

Syt

I'll have to add Bioshock Infinite to the list. The game on highest details in 1920x1200 looks gorgeous, not least thanks to the beautiful and meticulously designed game world. I think it's not been since Morrowind that I stopped so often just to gaze/drool over the scenery of a game.

Not to mention the story/finale that'll keep me thinking for a fair while.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Civilization most versions especially I & II since it was such a new concept. X-Com: UFO Defense, Sim City, Darklands, Patrician 2 & 3. Empire and Stars! Also probably Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis. I'm sure a couple of others as well that I can't think of.