Games that absolutely blew you away when you first played them?

Started by Syt, March 16, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Hell, even I dug up my old Odyssey2 out of my parents' basement.

Ed Anger

:lol:

Another game I loved: Colonial Conquest by SSI. Totally unhistorical, but still groovy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2013, 10:54:13 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2013, 09:55:41 AM

Maybe I'll get an Atari 800 emulator and try the Atari version.  I've heard it's better than the Commodore version anyway.

HERESY!
SRSLY?

The original platform for the game was the Atari, so it stands to reason Dan Bunten put the most work into that version and probably got pressured to rush through all of the ports when the game started selling well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2013, 11:03:26 AM
You assholes are making want to break out the emulators.

I've recently playing some old SNES games again. Still, I can't find an emu that can handle the full sound of Contra III.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2013, 11:15:58 AM

Another game I loved: Colonial Conquest by SSI. Totally unhistorical, but still groovy.

I played that often with two friends. It was always a nailbiter - is it just one really long combat round or has the game crashed again?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Me when loading Wasteland on my Commodore 64 1541 floppy drive:

*fingers crossed* "PLEASEDONTCRASHTHISTIMEPLEASEDONTCRASHTHISTIMEPLEASEDONTCRASHTHISTIME" *fingers crossed*
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I couldn't finish Champions of Krynn because disk side E had a glitch when you entered a certain (necessary) quest location. <_<
—Stephen Jay Gould

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on March 22, 2013, 04:15:33 PM
For a while I had a bad Disk 2 for Bard's Tale III. <_<

Stupid Tenebrosia!  Hated that place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Also, from the Apple II days....

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.

Conan

And the early PC days...

I also remember, very early in my PC-gaming life, an adventure game based on the Ring of the Nibelungen legend that I played an awful lot...

My first favorite PC strategy game:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2013, 02:18:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 22, 2013, 11:03:26 AM
You assholes are making want to break out the emulators.

I've recently playing some old SNES games again. Still, I can't find an emu that can handle the full sound of Contra III.

:yuk:

It must be played on a Super Nes with a proper pad and at 60 hz!   :nerd: :menace:
CRT or scan lines-enhancing device on a flat screen, ideally.  :smarty:

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

Why would someone name a fantasy kingdom after a real kingdom?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."