Games that absolutely blew you away when you first played them?

Started by Syt, March 16, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2013, 12:14:24 AM
. I got to around level 40, but then the game turned into a massive grind for me and I stopped playing.

Yeah back then questing was a real chore after 40, there were few decent quest hubs and the levels went by pretty slowly. However, I'd played a couple earlier mmos and they were even grindier, so I managed to stick it out. Shortly after reaching 60, they introduced Warsong Gulch and that was the point I fell in love with the game.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

To be fair, I think playing on a PvP server also killed it for me at the time - nothing like wanting to do some quests in Stranglethorn Vale and then spending half the evening getting ganked by bored level 60 rogues. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

No MMO really did much for me.  I guess I should mention Sid Meier's Gettysburg and Alpha Centuari.  Both great games.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Sid Meier's Gettysburg, forgot about that one. Good choice.

Also I'll put forward NFL Blitz. That game rocked.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Queequeg

Anarchy online was the only MMO that did that for me.
Fallout
System Shock 2
Jade Empire
688i
EF-2000
Shogun:Total War
Darklands
Half Life and Half Life 2
I pretty much loved Arcanum at first sight
Thief 2
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Tamas

You guys listed some games I should have mentioned. Alpha Centauri and Aces of the Deep, most notably.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

If by blown away you mean "why is my alarm going off, I haven't gone to bed yet?", then Civ2, Civ3, Civ4, and Civ5 would definitely be at the top of my list.  I've also been obsessed with the first attempt at a racing sim with realistic physics called Grand Prix Legends, and it was my first serious experience with multiplayer.  I've also been highly impressed with GTA IV, just due to how seamlessly they've managed to create an entire city that you can just explore without a mission in mind.

The Minsky Moment

The one game I didn't see here that I would add is Balance of Power.  Flawed and frustrating, yet very sophisticated for its time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

I should have been rewarded for causing WWIII. Chris Crawford sucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2013, 06:00:45 PM

Russians had more nukes and we had better cities so no you shouldn't.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2013, 06:00:45 PM

Russians had more nukes and we had better cities so no you shouldn't.

You're no fun.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 20, 2013, 05:57:35 PM
The one game I didn't see here that I would add is Balance of Power.  Flawed and frustrating, yet very sophisticated for its time.

BoP was good.

BoP: Multipolar Edition was superior.

Games "that blew me away" is often a bit too strong for the usual reaction.  But other games I remember enjoying intensely (and could likely still play today):

- Alpha Centauri
- Seven Cities of Gold
- Ancient Art of War at Sea
- Command HQ
- Ultima V
- Ultima VI
- V for Victory: Velikiye Luki
- V for Victory: Utah Beach
- V for Victory: Market Garden
- Defender of the Crown
- Civ I & II
- Half-Life