Games that absolutely blew you away when you first played them?

Started by Syt, March 16, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2013, 08:06:40 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 16, 2013, 07:19:55 PM
Steel Panthers. It's what caused me to get my first computer.

That reminds of one.  Combat Mission.  Despite ugly log-people graphics I was blown away.  The WeGo system was great ( I don't know why everyone didn't adopt that), and the fact that 3D actually added to the game in a substantial way instead of being a graphic gimmick.

Good call, but for some reason CMBO didn't quite impress me like CMBB.

Btw, there were some games on SNES that were jaw dropping good - F-Zero with its incredible speed, Contra III with its excellent action and soundtrack, and Zelda which felt absolutely epic. Actually, the original NES Zelda had me so drawn in I created a simple board game version of it.  :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Yeah Zelda 1 and 3 were fantastic.  I first played Zelda 1 in a Walmart before I could convince my folks to buy me one.  I remember not being able to distinguish what the hell I was fighting most of the time, but it was one of the first games were you could explore.  I got a paper route so I could buy a SNES, and there were some great games on that.  The Zelda game for that was fantastic.

Sometimes it's small things in PC games that impress me.  Like I remember in Doom 3 you when typed in a keypad it didn't change to a different screen.  That impressed the hell out of me.  Likewise in Half-life 2 where you could see several monitors where things were going on and it didn't have to change screens for that also impressed me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Those little details are great. One of my favorite details in most recent Bethesda games are the doors; I first noticed this in their Fallout. They only open in one direction, as proper doors do. The vast majority of games out there is lazy and has "swinging" doors that open in either direction when you walk through them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

Harpoon (in addition to others mentioned here).

My best moment. I took on the entire russian north fleet with the illustrious and support ships. Never in the course of electronic events have simulated AEW helecopters done more for the cause of sinking simulated russian guided missile cruisers. The fuckers chased me from the faroes to le havre while I launched 20 strike missions with my 6 harriers one after the other until they ran out of air defense missiles. If the bastards had found me once the sky would have darkened with soviet SSNs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Battlezone

For a kid who started with firing bananas from a cannon at King Kong on a 386, this was an eye-opener.  Probably my first 3D game.

Flight Simulator 98

The amount of graphic goodness Microsoft Studios packed into that game was almost completely unprecedented- I lost many a night doing flyovers of my home and running flight paths to distant friends and relatives' locales.

X-wing vs TIE Fighter, then TIE Fighter, in rapid succession

A friend let me borrow the Collector's Edition 3-pack.  At first, I got sucked in by the better graphics on XvT, but once I got into the TIE Fighter campaign... to this day, no flight sim has been able to dethrone TIE Fighter for me.  Not even X-Wing: Alliance.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

This game was just pure "nucking futs," as my dad would put it.  You start off playing a Zelda game, crawling the dungeons, and just when you think the game's over, it fakes you out and starts you off completely new as an adult.  The game's one of the best-balanced I've ever seen, and some of it was just completely off the rails (thinking particularly of the twisty corridors in the Forest Temple, the leaps of faith in the Shadow Temple)... it could be remade with better graphics (which they did slightly up for the 3DS remake), but the game was insanely advanced for the time, and it's held up incredibly well since then.

Some honorable mentions...

Angband

My first Roguelike; I was skeptical that you could do that much with an ASCII character set, but I've since lost entire nights to that one.

Metroid Prime

I found the game to be kinda "meh" in the end, but it sure was gorgeous.  Probably marked the first game I played with water physics.
Experience bij!

Syt

For nostalgia's sake I re-installed Morrowind, with the Complete Overhaul mod. It sucks me back in.  :blush:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Street Fighter II: Championship Edition.  I'd always wanted to play as Vega, Sagat, or Bison, and now I could.  Those three are still my favorite characters.  Along with the tweaks to the original characters, SF2:CE is pretty much the perfect SF game, never surpassed, and if it was, only by its own Hyper Fighting variant.  It also had the advantage of not requiring thousands of hours of practice and the reflexes of a replicant to even maintain a competitive edge, let alone master it, unlike some latterday entries into the series.

Mortal Kombat II was also a sequel that far outshone the original, at least for me, even though MK1 was really great.  You get to be Shang Tsung, and by extension have access to every move by every selectable character in the game, including their fatalities?  And that awesome one/two/three fireball?  Excelsior.

EU2 and WiTP of course.

Super Mario Bros. 3.  Amazing level design throughout.  I've still never beaten it on the game's terms, but I feel that I did in spirit, since I killed Bowser (I just happened to fall in the pit after him -_- ).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Warspite

Space Quest
Civ 1
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
SimCity 2000
Mechwarriors 2
Command and Conquer
Battlezone
Fallout
Half Life
European Air War
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord

Guess I haven't really been "blown away" since adulthood - a lot less time to get sucked into games. :(
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Red Baron
Aces of the pacific
Wasteland
Front Page Sports Football
Pong
to name a few.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

I don't think any game has "blown me away", maybe more a long the lines of "cool, that's a neat game".

So for that criteria, Civ 5 G&K is doing it for me now.

In the past:

Arcade - 'Defender' 'Space Invaders' 'Crazy Planets' 'Star Wars'

ZX Spectrum - 'Codename Mat'

PC - 'Day of the Tentacle', 'Gods', 'Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe', 'Gunship 2000', 'Civilization II', 'Master of Magic', 'Populous 2', 'Europa Universalis 1 & 2' 'Hearts of Iron', 'Lord of the Realms', 'Transport Tycoon Deluxe', 'Nox', plus a few more I'm bound to have missed.

edit:

How could I forget the original 'Colonization'.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on