Games that absolutely blew you away when you first played them?

Started by Syt, March 16, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

saskganesh

Blitzkrieg by AH (first war game)
T&T (first RPG)

15 years or so later: Civ I

then 10 years after that:
EU (even though I had no idea how to play it)

humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

The first Hungarian pen-and-paper RPG. I was like 10, and I had it ordered because the description in the book catalog sounded cool, but I was expecting a boardgame. The whole concept was totally new to me. Fantasy as a literature style, in fact, was totally new to me. Because of these two it had to be the most decisive gaming "encounter" of my life.

Very similar was my chance encounter with a Hungarian WW2 strategic boardgame at a town fair of all places. It was something like between A&A and Third Reich, in the ETO. Was awesome. But it took me like a decade more to realise the whole wargaming hobby was out there in the world, after I got connected to the tubes of the Internets.

Frontier, Elite 2. Boy did I spend a lot of time with that.

EU1 of course. But due to their forum I was already pretty excited by the time I got my hands on my Germany-bought copy.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Maladict

Simcity
Leisure Suit Larry
Civilization
Europa Universalis
Test Drive
Wolfenstein 3d
Command & Conquer
Flight Simulator (not sure which one)

Razgovory

Due to the nature of the question most of these will be older games, (though honestly don't feel so old).  Most of the games were the ones that inspired me to play others of the genre.

Civ 2:  The first 4x game I played.

Fallout: first PC RPG that really captured the tabletop feel for me.

Command & Conquer:  Not the first RTS I played, but first that really got excited about.

Half-life:  First RTS I really enjoyed.  Before that, I felt they had potential but were all dull key searches through mazes.

Final Fantasy: first RPG I remember playing.  It got me interested in tabletop and video game RPGs.

Couple of newer entries:  Company of Heroes which is the best RTS ever made and Arkham City which was the first beat'em-up I played since I was like 12. 

Honerable mention are Wing Commander and MechWarrior, but I never really got into flight sims or space sims or whatever.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

Europa Universals 1 and Red Alert 2. Played both of them until I was physically sick.

11B4V

Steel Panthers. It's what caused me to get my first computer.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

Bard's Tale. Wasteland. Fallout. Daggerfall. Morrowind. King of Dragon Pass.
and the horse you rode in on

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on