Games that absolutely blew you away when you first played them?

Started by Syt, March 16, 2013, 02:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on March 16, 2013, 07:19:55 PM
Steel Panthers. It's what caused me to get my first computer.

That reminds of one.  Combat Mission.  Despite ugly log-people graphics I was blown away.  The WeGo system was great ( I don't know why everyone didn't adopt that), and the fact that 3D actually added to the game in a substantial way instead of being a graphic gimmick.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

I'll bite on something a little more recent:

Wargame: European Escalation. The game kinda blurs the lines between RTS and milsim. Really top notch gameplay. The multiplayer was a revelation.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

I've been playing the single player on that.  Game is tough.  I'm on the second campaign.  I thought it did have a realistic scenario where the Polish army mutinies and starts attacking Soviet formations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

The singleplayer is okay but it really shines in multiplayer. Good news is that a sequel is coming out this year with a dynamic singleplayer campaign (:w00t:) and 10vs10 multiplayer matches  :cool:

I'm going to enjoy watching my squadron of Frogfoots strafe NATO convoys.

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Hmmmmm, close combat 2. Watching Polish paras get ripped appart by mg42's. my boner just grew more.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 16, 2013, 08:47:27 PM
Hmmmmm, close combat 2. Watching Polish paras get ripped appart by mg42's. my boner just grew more.

Alert the men: I'm up to 3 inches!
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Red Storm Rising. The fate of the free world rests on me putting harpoons into the Kirov? Major sub boner.

Ed Anger

Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2013, 08:48:22 PM

Alert the men: I'm up to 3 inches!

That is very hurtful.

FunkMonk

Holy shit I forgot about that game. That goes right up there with TIE Fighter for me.

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, and Imperialism II.

I've got a thing for II games.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2013, 08:06:40 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 16, 2013, 07:19:55 PM
Steel Panthers. It's what caused me to get my first computer.

That reminds of one.  Combat Mission.  Despite ugly log-people graphics I was blown away.  The WeGo system was great ( I don't know why everyone didn't adopt that), and the fact that 3D actually added to the game in a substantial way instead of being a graphic gimmick.

Super pick :thumbsup:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2013, 08:05:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2013, 07:59:49 PM
It was IV for me.

Same here. IV was soooooo good.

Yeah, that game totally rocked.  Back when they packaged games like they should.  Manuals, a cloth map, an ankh.  It was like a cereal box prize orgasm.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2013, 10:07:02 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 16, 2013, 08:05:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2013, 07:59:49 PM
It was IV for me.

Same here. IV was soooooo good.

Yeah, that game totally rocked.  Back when they packaged games like they should.  Manuals, a cloth map, an ankh.  It was like a cereal box prize orgasm.

And nowadays you get a .pdf manual and a license agreement that says you don't even own the bytes on your computer. :(