Putin: Winter War was fought to correct errors in border with Finland

Started by Syt, March 15, 2013, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2013, 10:55:02 AM
That commies are worse then Nazis.  That seemed strange considering that Nazis killed several hundred thousand Americans and the Communists did not.

So when did I say that?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2013, 10:56:26 AM
Pretty sure the Nazis didn't kill several hundred thousand Americans.

416,000 American dead from WWII.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Come to think of it Raz, Commies killed way more Americans than Nazis did.  Korean War and Vietnamese War.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2013, 11:02:48 AM
Come to think of it Raz, Commies killed way more Americans than Nazis did.  Korean War and Vietnamese War.

Around 50,000 in Vietnam and less then 40,000 in Korea.  Try again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2013, 11:01:50 AM
That commies are worse then Nazis.  That seemed strange considering that Nazis killed several hundred thousand Americans and the Communists did not.

So when did I say that?

Motherfucker!  I confused you with dps again. <_<

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2013, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2013, 11:01:50 AM

So when did I say that?

Motherfucker!  I confused you with dps again. <_<

:showoff:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2013, 11:02:20 AM

183,588 deaths from battles in the European theatre.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2013, 01:27:06 AM
Quote from: dps on March 18, 2013, 01:24:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2013, 01:19:45 AM
Were the UK and France the aggressors when they defended Poland from Germany? How is defending Finland any different?

There was certainly a far deeper anipathy to communism and the Soviet Union in the United States at that time than there was to Nazi Germany.

The planning for bombing Baku started before the Winter War.

Soviets invaded Poland as well.

Sure, and that argument would have had merit if they had declared war on the Soviet Union at the time.  Waiting until a month or two later and launching a sneak attack on Baku would have been a different matter.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2013, 01:37:03 AM
an unpredictable crazy person who's actions make little strategic sense. 

Being a bit harsh towards Churchill aren't you?

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on March 18, 2013, 11:05:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2013, 11:02:20 AM

Fascist allies count as well!

Admiral Yi

That is still more than I would have expected.

Zanza

You are moving goalposts. Nazi is a pretty clearly defined term and the Japanese of WW2 do not fall under it.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2013, 11:14:27 AM

That is still more than I would have expected.

The MG42 was a hell of a machinegun :(

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on March 18, 2013, 11:14:55 AM
You are moving goalposts. Nazi is a pretty clearly defined term and the Japanese of WW2 do not fall under it.

The rest weren't all killed by Japanese.  Disease took many as well, and since I think we can safely safe and large number who died of disease in WWII, there are at least 17 thousand American death from disease in the Atlantic theater then we still have multiple hundreds of thousands and my point still stands.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2013, 11:19:09 AM
The MG42 was a hell of a machinegun :(

No doubt.  But it's hard to think of that many battles where the US took really heavy losses.