News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Netherlands raise terror alert level!

Started by jimmy olsen, March 13, 2013, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Level Orange!? :o

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/13/17296512-dutch-raise-terror-alert-level-after-increase-in-islamist-radicals-leaving-for-syria?lite

QuoteDutch raise terror alert level after increase in Islamist radicals leaving for Syria
By Anthony Deutsch, Sara Webb and Kevin Liffey, Reuters

AMSTERDAM — The Netherlands raised its alert level for terrorist attacks to "substantial" on Wednesday, citing an increase in the number of Islamist militants traveling from the Netherlands to Syria, as well as a radicalization of Dutch youth.

"The chance of an attack in the Netherlands or against Dutch interests abroad has risen," the National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism (NCTV) said in a statement.

"Close to a hundred individuals have recently left the Netherlands for various countries in Africa and the Middle East, especially Syria."

The agency said individuals fighting for radical Islam abroad could return and "inspire others in the Netherlands to follow in their footsteps."

Political changes in the Middle East and North Africa have made space for an expansion of radical Islamic groups that are no longer under the control of security forces, the agency said.

Dutch police and intelligence services have deployed extra personnel to investigate suspect individuals and monitor sources, the agency said.

The Netherlands has not suffered a major terrorist attack, but a radical Dutchman of Moroccan origin murdered the provocative filmmaker Theo van Gogh, who was critical of multiculturalism and of Islam, in Amsterdam in 2004.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2013, 11:46:46 PM
The Netherlands?
I really hate my work computer, it doesn't have an English spell check. :cry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

How about simply learning how to spell things? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 14, 2013, 12:00:31 AM
How about simply learning how to spell things? :unsure:
Dammit Garbon, I'm an English conversation teacher, not an English spelling teacher!

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Then stop teaching Koreans to speak wrong.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

I'm picturing a bunch of Korean teenagers talking like Peter Griffin.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 14, 2013, 12:41:14 AM
I'm picturing a bunch of Korean teenagers talking like Peter Griffin.

I'm picturing Korean teenagers who can't speak English at all.

jimmy olsen

My students won 5 medals at the Chungnam provincial English contest!

3 Bronze, 1 Silver and 1 Gold. ^_^

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

How is radicals leaving the Netherlands for Syria going to make the Netherlands more dangerous?  :huh:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

It's a low-lying country. If we don't raise our terror alert level regularly it might get wet.