Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:30:40 PM
You guys simply can't imagine a tasty meal made of salmon, green beans and broccoli? Seriously?  :lol:

Don't much care for fish, and the veggies won't be all that healthy with the butter and cheese I put on them.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2013, 01:40:06 PM
You guys simply can't imagine a tasty meal made of salmon, green beans and broccoli? Seriously?  :lol:

Don't much care for fish, and the veggies won't be all that healthy with the butter and cheese I put on them.  :P

Yeah, butter and cheese as condiments are not really allowed on this diet.  :lol: Lemon juice and pepper, yes.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 01:36:13 PM

Oh, I'd eat the shit out of that.

Yeah, sounds great to me.  I don't get to eat salmon too often since the wife doesn't like it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

What do you eat for an average stay at home dinner?

Well, tomorrow I'm making roasted pork loin in a parmesan black pepper crust (277 cal/serving), roasted apples with cinnamon (35 cal/serving), and mixed berries with a dollop of whipped cream (88 cal/serving). I haven't decided what kind of veggie to make, but it will probably be steamed asparagus served with a lemon sauce (90 cal/serving).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 01:26:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:15:24 PM
I was sorta scratching my head over the thought that fresh baked salmon with green beans and broccoli was "boring"

I think that sounds very bland and if that's all I had to eat, would try to give up eating.

I just saw your post with regards to seasoning, so I'll retract my complaint. When you had made your initial post with bland things like melba toast, didn't picture you spicing them up.

That said, I generally always find salmon bland so wouldn't change that part.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 01:33:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 01:26:02 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:15:24 PM
I was sorta scratching my head over the thought that fresh baked salmon with green beans and broccoli was "boring"

I think that sounds very bland and if that's all I had to eat, would try to give up eating.

Have you ever had good food?

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

As I pointed out, it's to a set formula, not a set meal plan - the formula is two servings each of fruit, vegitables, (lean) meat and bread substitute. The portions vary in size, with vegitables being by far the largest, fruit in modest amounts (1 apple or equivalent), meat serving no larger than would cover the palm of the hand, and bread substitute smallest of all (2 melba toast equivalents).

Following this formula, a good cook can do whatever she or he wants. I'm pretty uninterested in cookery, so I follow a few limited varieties, but that limitation is on me, not necessary for the plan.

You can have as much lemon juice and pepper as you want.  :D

That's fair, and I was mostly just taking the piss out of you. :D

I do limit my breads quite a bit anymore, mostly because they tend to be so damn high in calories. Carbs don't scare me like they do a lot of my friends, but at the same time, I can get more food for fewer calories by avoiding thick slabs of bread with everything.

One of the biggest issues in my house is that I'm really the only one who eats vegetables. Max calls them "garnish" and only eats them after we've run out of protein. (A caveat: he enjoys fresh-from-the-garden, uncooked veggies, but since we don't have a garden, that's problematic. That, and I don't care for uncooked veggies.) The kids will eat veggies... occassionally. That means that if I want to get anyone to eat veggies, I have to make them in such a way as they won't realize that they're eating them. So, a lot of casserole-type things work, as do soups/stews.

Keep in mind that I absolutely love to cook, and often spend hours pouring over cook books. So, making a grilled protein with steamed veggies and the occasional fruit thrown in every day would just about put me over the edge.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 01:43:05 PM

Well, tomorrow I'm making roasted pork loin in a parmesan black pepper crust (277 cal/serving), roasted apples with cinnamon (35 cal/serving), and mixed berries with a dollop of whipped cream (88 cal/serving). I haven't decided what kind of veggie to make, but it will probably be steamed asparagus served with a lemon sauce (90 cal/serving).

Sounds tasty. Better than I could do.

Don't see why my baked salmon with a touch of maple syrup for flavour and green beans with minced garlic is so bad. I'm obviously not a great cook like you, but I eat okay.  ;)

I have no idea what calories my meal consists of - my method doesn't require me knowing that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:42:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 19, 2013, 01:40:06 PM

Yeah, butter and cheese as condiments are not really allowed on this diet.  :lol: Lemon juice and pepper, yes.

Your body actually needs some dietary fat. A lot of vitamins found in vegetables can't be absorbed without it, in fact.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 01:58:53 PM

Your body actually needs some dietary fat. A lot of vitamins found in vegetables can't be absorbed without it, in fact.

Yes. Cutting out fat entirely is terrible for you.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 01:31:15 PM

I am not sure why you have such a dog in this fight.  The stretch marks were not caused by quick growth in this case.  Sleep apnea is a common problem with people who are fat.  He slept with her.  Its pretty easy to tell if someone is having trouble breathing when they sleep.  not sure why you struck off depression. 

Not sure how you are defining morbidly obese here.  It is not just merely "heavier than you wanted" its really fat.

The term "morbidly obese" isn't "really fat". It's a clinical term that means, basically, that excessive fat is causing medical issues that are negatively affecting the person's life. Sleep apnea can be caused by weight, but it can also be caused by a number of other things (as I pointed out with my 6'2", 145-pound son). Depression can cause excessive weight gain, or can be caused by it. Stretch marks don't cause medical issues that negatively affect the person's life.

It's one of those word things. Used incorrectly, it loses its meaning. The term "morbidly obese" has a specific meaning, and when people use it to mean "really fat", well, they're using it incorrectly. And using the BMI scale to try to force someone into that term is ridiculous since it doesn't measure anything to do with a person's medical status.

Again, at 5'2" and 185 pounds (my heaviest), my doctor told me I was in the peak of health. I could stand to lose some weight, but over all, it wasn't bad. When I told him that I wanted to lose about 50 pounds, he told me that on my frame, that would be far too much. If I wanted to lose about 25-30 pounds, he'd be okay with that. Well, that's still in the "obese" category on the BMI scale. Now, I'm 5'2" and 160 pounds. Max (and my doctor) thinks that I'm small enough, but I want to lose another 25-30 pounds. Why? Because then when people ask me how much I weigh, I won't be embarassed, despite the fact that I look damn good now.

Weight is a number, not a health model. That's what frustrates me so much about all of this. Yes, it can indicate concerns, but it may not. Knowing how much a person weighs - unless it's way, way out there - just isn't enough to go on.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:55:26 PM
Don't see why my baked salmon with a touch of maple syrup for flavour and green beans with minced garlic is so bad.

Do you feel more patriotic when you consume maple tree products?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on March 19, 2013, 01:36:13 PM

Oh, I'd eat the shit out of that.
Well-prepared salmon dish shouldn't have shit in or on it.