Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Legbiter

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2013, 02:35:46 PM
Yeah, that metabolic change is the real deal. I used to be hypoglycemic all the time for the same reason. My stupid metabolism didn't know how to not rely primarily on sugar for current energy needs. I'd crash. Sometimes pass out even. After changing my diet and about a week of transition time, I was completely cured of that. I never get that insane urgent hunger that makes me have to eat RIGHT NOW either.

Yep, it's a big plus, hunger being a notification to act on in the next few hours and not a lightning bolt sending you into a murderous rage.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 02:31:32 PM
:o Cooking the veggies is a great way to make them unpalatable.  I don't get the concept of cooking the vegetables at all, the crunchy sweetness you get from biting into raw vegetables is what gives them the taste.

Argies tend to cook the hell out of their veggies.  Steamed veggies are unheard of.  Unfortunately, if I'm having a Crohn's episode I have to overcook some veggies to avoid problems.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 02:42:18 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 02:40:00 PM
Yeah maple glaze on salmon is a well-known preparation. I'm puzzled by the negative responses.  :huh:

Have the people reacting this way actually tried it?

I love maple syrup I was wondering if it made you feel more Canadian.  Like if I were to feast on Bald Eagle.

The Canadian equivalent of feating on Bald Eagle would be feasting on Beaver. Sure, I feel more patriotic when I do that.   :D

But seriously - yeah, both salmon and (real!) maple syrup are very stereotypical Canadian foods. The fake stuff tastes horrible, can't touch it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 02:38:13 PM
Its not my fault if some of you have never had real things to eat.

Presumably it would be your fault for reminding us.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 02:47:59 PM
The Canadian equivalent of feating on Bald Eagle would be feasting on Beaver. Sure, I feel more patriotic when I do that.   :D

Oh Canada!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 02:31:32 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 01:50:55 PM
(A caveat: he enjoys fresh-from-the-garden, uncooked veggies, but since we don't have a garden, that's problematic. That, and I don't care for uncooked veggies.)
:o Cooking the veggies is a great way to make them unpalatable.  I don't get the concept of cooking the vegetables at all, the crunchy sweetness you get from biting into raw vegetables is what gives them the taste.

If vegetables are cooked correctly they can still taste good (I make an awesome spinach dish where I brown some garlic then throw a couple bunches into a hot pan and then finish with lemon - its to die for) but you are correct that often people cook them incorrectly and they loose all their taste.

Yeah, I too like to sauté spinach in the pan alongside the steak. :mmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 02:30:04 PM

I don't get your frustration.  I have never heard anybody claim being overweight is a death sentence.

:huh:

Just read through this thread. Those words may not be said, but the point that being fat is horribly unhealthy is throughout it. It's compared to smoking and drinking repeatedly.

Why can't you just lie to them?  None of their business.  Just say 'I weight 140'.

Because I don't like to lie? As it is, when I tell people how much I weigh, they think I'm lying.

The point is that even as much as I hate the whole numbers thing that everyone so vehemently subscribes to, my vanity dictates that I reach some ridiculous goal set by people who don't know me at all so that people won't refer to me as "that fat girl". No one wants to hear that, least of all a woman in her 40s with gray hair and wrinkles. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Who are these people going around asking your weight? I'd be like mind your business.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 02:54:36 PM
Just read through this thread. Those words may not be said, but the point that being fat is horribly unhealthy is throughout it. It's compared to smoking and drinking repeatedly.

Well Winston Churchill was fat, smoked, AND drank non-stop and he lived until 90 :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 02:30:49 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 19, 2013, 02:22:05 PM

What difference does that make?

Heart disease can have causes other than obesity, but it you are overweight and have a heart attack, you can be sure that your heart disease will be considered a c-morbidity condition to your weight.

Shit, there are very few medical conditions that don't have more than one possible cause.

My point is that a 5'2", 185-pound woman probably isn't morbidly obese. The "medical issues" stjaba provided do not constitute a morbidly obese person. Obese, sure. Really fat, okay, some could say that. But not morbidly obese by the clinical definition.

If the definition of morbid obesity is obesity + co-morbidity factors, and someone mentions sleep apnea, then yes, that is a co-morbidity factor.

Just because it is possibly the result of something OTHER THAN obesity means nothing - otherwise, there would be no such thing as a co-morbidity factor, since almost any other medical condition can have an explanation other than obesity.

Hell, all co-morbidity mean anyway is "If you are obese, and you have this other factor, then your odds of dieing as a result are much greater than having either factor in isolation".

Your argument is entirely circular Meri.

Someone said she is morbidly obese.
You said she was not.
Someone said the definition is  obesity plus a co-morbidity factor. Listed several (some of which were bullshit, but sleep apnea most definitely is NOT bullshit).
You claim that sleep apnea can have other causes, therefore is not a co-morbidity factor, therefore she is not morbidly obese.

But in fact it IS a recognized co-morbidity factor. You then respond by saying it is not a co-morbidity factor, because she is not morbidly obese!

The clinical definition as stated stands, and is perfectly valid. She is obese, and her obesity combined with other factors means she is at a considerably greater risk for death or serious problems.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 02:40:00 PM
Yeah maple glaze on salmon is a well-known preparation. I'm puzzled by the negative responses.  :huh:

Have the people reacting this way actually tried it?

Yes, I've tried it. (Yes, CC, with REAL maple syrup. I haven't eaten the fake stuff since I was a kid.) I don't particularly care for it. I prefer my salmon with lemon and pepper, of course. :P

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on March 19, 2013, 02:57:48 PM
If the definition of morbid obesity is obesity + co-morbidity factors, and someone mentions sleep apnea, then yes, that is a co-morbidity factor.

Just because it is possibly the result of something OTHER THAN obesity means nothing - otherwise, there would be no such thing as a co-morbidity factor, since almost any other medical condition can have an explanation other than obesity.

Hell, all co-morbidity mean anyway is "If you are obese, and you have this other factor, then your odds of dieing as a result are much greater than having either factor in isolation".

Your argument is entirely circular Meri.

Someone said she is morbidly obese.
You said she was not.
Someone said the definition is  obesity plus a co-morbidity factor. Listed several (some of which were bullshit, but sleep apnea most definitely is NOT bullshit).
You claim that sleep apnea can have other causes, therefore is not a co-morbidity factor, therefore she is not morbidly obese.

But in fact it IS a recognized co-morbidity factor. You then respond by saying it is not a co-morbidity factor, because she is not morbidly obese!

The clinical definition as stated stands, and is perfectly valid. She is obese, and her obesity combined with other factors means she is at a considerably greater risk for death or serious problems.

Co-morbid =/= morbidly obese.

Being co-morbid means having two issues that affect a person's health at the same time, ie asthma and diabetes are co-morbid. Morbidly obese means, specifically, that the obesity is causing the health issues. If her sleep apnea isn't caused by her weight, then while she is overweight with sleep apnea, she is not morbidly obese.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 02:54:36 PM

Well Winston Churchill was fat, smoked, AND drank non-stop and he lived until 90 :P

Blasphemy! That's just not possible! You'll convince people that being fat, smoking, and drinking are acceptable!

garbon

Here's what the university of rochester had to say:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/highland/departments-centers/bariatrics/right-for-you/morbid-obesity.aspx
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/highland/departments-centers/bariatrics/right-for-you/morbid-obesity/related-conditions.aspx

QuoteMorbid obesity is diagnosed by determining Body Mass Index (BMI). BMI is defined by the ratio of an individual's height to his or her weight. Normal BMI ranges from 20-25. See BMI on back panel. An individual is considered morbidly obese if he or she is 100 pounds over his/her ideal body weight, has a BMI of 40 or more, or 35 or more and experiencing obesity-related health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

And as it is possible that both apnea and depression stemmed from the obesity...

derspiess

I'll stop complaining about fat acceptance if cigar-smoking acceptance takes hold :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall