Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 01:14:11 PM
I'd guess your struggles lay in other domains.
Plenty of that, yes, but we're discussing weight control.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 12:20:16 PM
Yeah, like your meal plan is boring as hell. I'd give it up after about a week, IF I lasted that long. Rule #1 of any diet plan: It has to be something you can and will stick with.
That IMO highlights one of the big problems.  People find healthy meals boring, and treat eating them like taking a medicine.  They're brought up on exactly the kind of foods that are terrible for them.  Of course healthy eating is not going to work long-term in that case without some kind of strong psychological reinforcement.

In that sense I feel that I'm very lucky, because I actually enjoy eating salads and vegetables, feel mostly indifferent about deep-fried food, and abhor overly complex fatty meals.  Few things beat a fresh Greek salad with a good dressing based on extra virgin olive oil.  If I could only loose that sweet tooth, I would be golden.

Yeah, I was sorta scratching my head over the thought that fresh baked salmon with green beans and broccoli was "boring" - to me, a big part of what makes food tasty is fresh, simple ingredients. But I assumed that the "boring" was directed at the monotony of eating the same stuff every day ... though as I said, one could vary it as much as one likes.

What it is, is low in carbs, and people do love their carbs.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

That IMO highlights one of the big problems.  People find healthy meals boring, and treat eating them like taking a medicine.  They're brought up on exactly the kind of foods that are terrible for them.  Of course healthy eating is not going to work long-term in that case without some kind of strong psychological reinforcement.

In that sense I feel that I'm very lucky, because I actually enjoy eating salads and vegetables, feel mostly indifferent about deep-fried food, and abhor overly complex fatty meals.  Few things beat a fresh Greek salad with a good dressing based on extra virgin olive oil.  If I could only loose that sweet tooth, I would be golden.

No, I find bland food boring, not healthy food. :contract:

I love steamed veggies - with lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and a touch of salt. I never cook deep-fried foods, and rarely fry anything. Broiled is my preference, again, with a bit of olive oil and the right spices. One can eat healthy foods that aren't bland and dull.

The food that I eat has never been my problem. I don't care much for chips, fatty foods, or overly processed foods. My issue is portion control, not food choices. Well, that and my sweet tooth, too. :blush: Luckily, I switched to diet soda 10 years ago, and then, only once or twice a week.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:15:24 PM
I was sorta scratching my head over the thought that fresh baked salmon with green beans and broccoli was "boring"

I think that sounds very bland and if that's all I had to eat, would try to give up eating.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I'm so glad I have no sweet tooth. I just never want dessert of any kind. I probably eat 10% of the sugar an average person does.

But then I go and have a couple glasses of whiskey.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 01:22:00 PM

No, I find bland food boring, not healthy food. :contract:

I love steamed veggies - with lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and a touch of salt. I never cook deep-fried foods, and rarely fry anything. Broiled is my preference, again, with a bit of olive oil and the right spices. One can eat healthy foods that aren't bland and dull.

The food that I eat has never been my problem. I don't care much for chips, fatty foods, or overly processed foods. My issue is portion control, not food choices. Well, that and my sweet tooth, too. :blush: Luckily, I switched to diet soda 10 years ago, and then, only once or twice a week.

Wait - you are saying the meals I mentioned were "boring" because I didn't mention the seasonings:huh: Is there some reason why you couldn't serve the exact same (say) steamed veggies I describe with "lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and a touch of salt"? 

I dodn't mention the seasonings or style of preparation because it's irrelevant to the point, not because they are of necessity absent. Obviously, as long as you aren't adding fat or calories, you can serve them any style you want.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2013, 01:27:25 PM
But then I go and have a couple glasses of whiskey.  :P
:hmm: If I had a couple of glasses of whiskey, I would drop my consumption of sugar by 100%.  Other food too, for that matter.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 01:26:02 PM
I was sorta scratching my head over the thought that fresh baked salmon with green beans and broccoli was "boring"

I think that sounds very bland and if that's all I had to eat, would try to give up eating.

You guys simply can't imagine a tasty meal made of salmon, green beans and broccoli? Seriously?  :lol:

What do you eat for an average stay at home dinner?

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:28:45 PM
Wait - you are saying the meals I mentioned were "boring" because I didn't mention the seasonings:huh: Is there some reason why you couldn't serve the exact same (say) steamed veggies I describe with "lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and a touch of salt"? 

I dodn't mention the seasonings or style of preparation because it's irrelevant to the point, not because they are of necessity absent. Obviously, as long as you aren't adding fat or calories, you can serve them any style you want.

Well, that and the lack of variety. You implied that you eat the same menu every day. There are some foods that I can do that with (I eat steel-cut oatmeal most mornings for breakfast), but when it comes to my lunches and dinners, I have to have variety.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 12:24:16 PM
Quote from: stjaba on March 19, 2013, 11:54:02 AM

First off, she was 5'2", not 5'5."

Second, she was experiencing the following obesity related symptoms, which I pulled off of Wikipedia:

Stretch marks
depression
social stigmatization

poor mobility
low back pain
obstructive sleep apnea.

There are possibly more, but she didn't see a general physician too often.

Those are pretty much the only ones that are related to weight gain in the physical sense. (I got stretch marks when I got boobs - they mark quick growth, not necessarily fat growth.) And I'm sorry, but they're certainly not life-threatening. As for the obstructive sleep apnea, I'm curious to know how you know that if she didn't go to the doctor.

Regardless, 185 pounds (even at 5'2") isn't "morbid obesity". Heavier than you wanted, sure, but not morbidly obese.

I am not sure why you have such a dog in this fight.  The stretch marks were not caused by quick growth in this case.  Sleep apnea is a common problem with people who are fat.  He slept with her.  Its pretty easy to tell if someone is having trouble breathing when they sleep.  not sure why you struck off depression. 

Not sure how you are defining morbidly obese here.  It is not just merely "heavier than you wanted" its really fat.

sbr

My sweet tooth got really bad after I quit smoking 5 years ago.  I have gotten it back under control recently, purely due to willpower, but it is still following me around every time I go into the store.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 01:26:02 PM

Have you ever had good food?

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2013, 12:46:23 PM
Keep in mind that the dude was married to her when she was fat. He only seemed to have a problem with it once she started deciding that it was ok to stop trying. From that, it's reasonable to conclude that the fat isn't what made him unattracted, it was the attitude of giving up and deciding fat was cool that turned him off.

Yeah, I tried to point that out earlier in the thread but BB jumped on me for wanting the impossible.

fhdz

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:30:40 PM
You guys simply can't imagine a tasty meal made of salmon, green beans and broccoli? Seriously?  :lol:

Oh, I'd eat the shit out of that.
and the horse you rode in on

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 01:30:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:28:45 PM

Well, that and the lack of variety. You implied that you eat the same menu every day. There are some foods that I can do that with (I eat steel-cut oatmeal most mornings for breakfast), but when it comes to my lunches and dinners, I have to have variety.

As I pointed out, it's to a set formula, not a set meal plan - the formula is two servings each of fruit, vegitables, (lean) meat and bread substitute. The portions vary in size, with vegitables being by far the largest, fruit in modest amounts (1 apple or equivalent), meat serving no larger than would cover the palm of the hand, and bread substitute smallest of all (2 melba toast equivalents).

Following this formula, a good cook can do whatever she or he wants. I'm pretty uninterested in cookery, so I follow a few limited varieties, but that limitation is on me, not necessary for the plan.

You can have as much lemon juice and pepper as you want.  :D