Definition of a "fair split" varies across cultures

Started by Jacob, March 01, 2013, 01:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Quote from: DGuller on March 13, 2013, 09:08:07 AM
Yeah, I'm so not dignifying that faux question with a response.

You just gave it. From your words, I now know for sure you're a western ukranian (I'd bet in or around Lviv/Lvov/Lemberg), and thus have little perception of the deep realities of the Ukranian nation.

As a result, your notion that you would be very different from what you are now are not accurate. There would be differences, but not that many.

Quote from: Peter Wiggin
I like how he chides Americans about being obsessed with race and then goes on to make several broad generalizations about Russians from different regions.

Obsession confirmed. Siberians are racially as Russian as Muscovites, so my point was about regionalism. But you cannot grasp that, as all you think about is race.

Quote from: Valmy
I was not aware we had myths about the people of Siberia.  Go figure.  But to be fair this is the first conversation I have had in any form about Siberians.

Many westerners - not just in America - have this idea people from Siberia spend all their time in the cold and can handle it very well.

It's not that true.  ;)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2013, 06:15:00 PM
Looking back on my life, I would've definitely been a different person in some ways had I not left Ukraine when I was 12.  I would've been more ruthless and far more corrupt.  Moving to US removed the pressure to continue developing those qualities.  Culture can be a vicious circle in good ways and in bad.

Heh, the culture clash I see in my in-laws' family between the Ukranians who immigrated in the 1950s or earlier and those comming over for visits these days is pretty instructive on the primacy of culture over inherited characteristics!  :lol:

It is an almost inevitable pattern: after an intital 'honeymoon' of catching up on what happened to what relation, there dawns the realization that they have absolutely nothing in common - particularly in terms of basic assumptions about such matters as ethics concerning work, sex, private property, etc.

In all of these matters, the "old immigrants" find the "native Ukranians" a huge dissapointment. I dunno how the "native Ukrainians" view the "old immigrants" - incredibly naive, "square" and judgmental, I imagine.

The 'old immigrants' are particularly unhappy because they often harbour a romantic nationalist attachment.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 13, 2013, 09:22:00 AM
Obsession confirmed. Siberians are racially as Russian as Muscovites, so my point was about regionalism. But you cannot grasp that, as all you think about is race.

Eh, I recently saw a show about living in the arctic and the Siberian hunters looked pretty Asian/Amerindian to me. But my comment wasn't about race either, but your love of stereotypes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2013, 06:45:00 PM
Still a Slav. I have spoken.

DG, based on the shit stained evidence from the eggplants, I grant you provisional whiteness and Americanism.

Congrats.  You are civilized.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2013, 09:48:22 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2013, 06:45:00 PM
Still a Slav. I have spoken.

DG, based on the shit stained evidence from the eggplants, I grant you provisional whiteness and Americanism.

Congrats.  You are civilized.
:w00t: :hug:

Admiral Yi

Next up: Caligula gets nominated for coveted Kentucky colonelcy.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2013, 06:40:53 AMInteresting that the generalizations of the first article you posted didn't provoke the same response.

Indeed.

You might find it worthwhile to reflect on the differences between the two articles.

grumbler

I just finished lunch with the Russian and Ukrainian ambassadors, and showed them Martim's post about how he thought they viewed him.  They burst into sustained laughter and the only word I could make out through their guffaws sounded like "delusional."  They thought his realization that Siberians were not immune to cold especially hilarious.  Apparently a lot of Portuguese share his confusion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 13, 2013, 11:30:07 AM
You might find it worthwhile to reflect on the differences between the two articles.

Already have.

The most obvious difference is that the 2nd makes a negative judgement about a non-Western ethnic group.