Definition of a "fair split" varies across cultures

Started by Jacob, March 01, 2013, 01:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Yi agrees with me on this, hell all my Korean coworkers agree with me on it. When the kids ask what's the difference between Korean and American schools I tell them that Korean schools are great for teaching math and hard sciences where memorization is at a premium, but American schools are much better at teaching students to think creatively and problem solve. I've never gotten anything other than agreement on the topic.   
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2013, 05:36:43 PM
Yi agrees with me on this, hell all my Korean coworkers agree with me on it. When the kids ask what's the difference between Korean and American schools I tell them that Korean schools are great for teaching math and hard sciences where memorization is at a premium, but American schools are much better at teaching students to think creatively and problem solve. I've never gotten anything other than agreement on the topic.

I didn't realize you were the author of the email your posted earlier. Is that why you bolded the whole thing? In any case, if you wanted to discuss the relative merits and drawbacks of Korean vs American curricula, why didn't you mention that?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 03:23:52 PM
I assume you also used the piece Tim posted since apparently a lot of it is true in spite of the racist language; and he should know.

No, that was just an opinion piece.  I was more interested in the science than the opinions.  The kids are pretty good at forming their own opinions.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 05:43:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2013, 05:36:43 PM

I didn't realize you were the author of the email your posted earlier. Is that why you bolded the whole thing? In any case, if you wanted to discuss the relative merits and drawbacks of Korean vs American curricula, why didn't you mention that?
The blog which posted the letter italicized the whole thing, but bolding shows up better so I went with that.

Do you think people develop like that out of nowhere? They're not born like that. Of course the schools are one of the largest factors, if not the largest, in how people think.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2013, 06:04:13 PMDo you think people develop like that out of nowhere? They're not born like that. Of course the schools are one of the largest factors, if not the largest, in how people think.

Out of curiosity, when you mentioned "racist language" what were you referring to?

derspiess

Jake, I get that you didn't like what Tim had to say, but I still don't see how you can call it dumb. He has spent a decent amount of time in South Korea and I'm sure those are his honest observations. All I hear you say in response is that they fit in with supposed stereotypes. Well big whoop. Tell me how he's wrong and what insight you have on Koreans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Looking back on my life, I would've definitely been a different person in some ways had I not left Ukraine when I was 12.  I would've been more ruthless and far more corrupt.  Moving to US removed the pressure to continue developing those qualities.  Culture can be a vicious circle in good ways and in bad.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

But he's part Jew and they're apparently white these days.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2013, 06:13:55 PM
Jake, I get that you didn't like what Tim had to say, but I still don't see how you can call it dumb. He has spent a decent amount of time in South Korea and I'm sure those are his honest observations. All I hear you say in response is that they fit in with supposed stereotypes. Well big whoop. Tell me how he's wrong and what insight you have on Koreans.

Seriously - I have no objection to discussing the differences (and similarities) between cultures. It's a fascinating topic. There are obvious differences between Korean and American cultures, and between the somewhat more nebulous "Western" and "East Asian" ones as well.

On the other hand, I do generally object to racism and I'm unfond of racist language in most cases. I think it's quite possible to discuss cultural differences without resorting to either of those.

Tim has acknowledged that the article contains racist language. The rolling eyes were directed at the article - especially the bolded part - and only reflected on Tim insofar as he chose to post it to begin with.

That said, I do wonder how Tim reconciles posting something which he says is true in spite of using racist language. Is it possible for Tim to describe that truth - which apparently all of his Korean colleagues and Admiral Yi (and thus Valmy) agree with him is accurate - without resorting to racist language? Or is that impossible for some reason or other, and if so what's the reason?

Since you asked :)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 06:12:16 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 12, 2013, 06:04:13 PMDo you think people develop like that out of nowhere? They're not born like that. Of course the schools are one of the largest factors, if not the largest, in how people think.

Out of curiosity, when you mentioned "racist language" what were you referring to?
He calls East Asians mongoloids. More subtley it feels like he's blaming the people rather than the culture despite his calling out the influence of Confuscian tradition.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 07:03:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2013, 06:13:55 PM

Seriously - I have no objection to discussing the differences (and similarities) between cultures. It's a fascinating topic. There are obvious differences between Korean and American cultures, and between the somewhat more nebulous "Western" and "East Asian" ones as well.

On the other hand, I do generally object to racism and I'm unfond of racist language in most cases. I think it's quite possible to discuss cultural differences without resorting to either of those.

Tim has acknowledged that the article contains racist language. The rolling eyes were directed at the article - especially the bolded part - and only reflected on Tim insofar as he chose to post it to begin with.

That said, I do wonder how Tim reconciles posting something which he says is true in spite of using racist language. Is it possible for Tim to describe that truth - which apparently all of his Korean colleagues and Admiral Yi (and thus Valmy) agree with him is accurate - without resorting to racist language? Or is that impossible for some reason or other, and if so what's the reason?

Since you asked :)

That doesn't really answer my question.  You just seem to be saying that the article Tim posted is completely invalidated by virtue of apparently racist language it used in some parts, and that Tim said something dumb by giving his take that the article made some valid points in spite of the racist language. 

What I want to know is why you think Tim's observations were dumb.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall