Definition of a "fair split" varies across cultures

Started by Jacob, March 01, 2013, 01:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on March 11, 2013, 10:35:02 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 11, 2013, 09:39:50 AM
However, the crankiness could be caused in part by the methodology of the test.

Not just the methodology - all testing changes the testees to some extent.

You said 'testees', huh huh huh...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Btw, used the article here (plus some related stuff referred to in the article and the base article) in my "Cultures in Conflict" elective.  It provoked quite an interesting discussion, particularly between the US students and the foreign exchange students.

Thanks for the steer, Jake.  :cheers:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2013, 03:18:55 PM
Btw, used the article here (plus some related stuff referred to in the article and the base article) in my "Cultures in Conflict" elective.  It provoked quite an interesting discussion, particularly between the US students and the foreign exchange students.

Thanks for the steer, Jake.  :cheers:

No worries :)

I assume you also used the piece Tim posted since apparently a lot of it is true in spite of the racist language; and he should know.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2013, 03:34:51 PM
Racist language?

I assume you're directing that question at Tim, since they're his words.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 03:23:52 PM
I assume you also used the piece Tim posted since apparently a lot of it is true in spite of the racist language; and he should know.

Ah was that what you were upset about?  It was hard to tell with just a smilie.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2013, 03:59:29 PMAh was that what you were upset about?  It was hard to tell with just a smilie.

:huh:

Why are you so angry?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 04:27:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2013, 03:59:29 PMAh was that what you were upset about?  It was hard to tell with just a smilie.

Why are you so angry?

:frusty:

Why do you keep hitting yourself?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 04:27:36 PM

Why are you so angry?

You went :rolleyes: and I wasn't sure what you were rolling your eyes about.  Not realy angry about it I just presumed you thought Tim's whole experience was junk or something.  Remember?  That like just recently happened and you just mentioned Tim's post in the post I quoted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

I thought Tim's piece was a fair bit below the usual stuff he reposts (ranging from mildly interesting to basically pointless), and even a fair bit below the content of posts that he writes himself (mostly twaddle). He seemed to acknowledge that with the "beside the racist language" part; generally if you find you have to qualify a post or statement with something like that it's usually a sign that you're about to share something dumb. As was the case. Hence the roll eyes.

:)

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 12, 2013, 04:44:11 PM
I thought Tim's piece was a fair bit below the usual stuff he reposts (ranging from mildly interesting to basically pointless), and even a fair bit below the content of posts that he writes himself (mostly twaddle). He seemed to acknowledge that with the "beside the racist language" part; generally if you find you have to qualify a post or statement with something like that it's usually a sign that you're about to share something dumb. As was the case. Hence the roll eyes.

:)

What was it he said that was dumb?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2013, 04:51:40 PMWhat was it he said that was dumb?

It was garden variety essentialist twaddle kicked up a notch by what Tim would call "racist language". So basically the bolded part.

That and the whole "you and me are so smart, but most other people are incurious and illogical" tone was pretty eye-roll worthy even before he got into reciting facile stereotypes and pretending it was some sort of intelligent insight. That stuff is fine if you're slinging shit on an internet message board for amusement's sake, but otherwise it's pretty weak.