Definition of a "fair split" varies across cultures

Started by Jacob, March 01, 2013, 01:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Sorry Tim your experiences of that culture are wrong.

The whole authority thing sounds like a con-job to avoid responsibility sort of like how over here we embrace the victim-hood thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2013, 12:05:21 AM
Sorry Tim your experiences of that culture are wrong.

:D

The whole authority thing sounds like a con-job to avoid responsibility sort of like how over here we embrace the victim-hood thing.
Not sure what you mean by that. The boss will simply ignore objections/criticism in most cases, and outright not tolerate them in others. You can object and have your career damaged or maybe even lose your job or you carry on and hope the boss doesn't tank the company with his idiocy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

It rings true to me.  One of my greatest frustrations living and working in Korea was the inability of people to formulate an answer to the question "why."

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2013, 09:47:18 AM
It rings true to me.  One of my greatest frustrations living and working in Korea was the inability of people to formulate an answer to the question "why."

So they are the same as freshmen in the US?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2013, 09:47:18 AM
Woo! I declare victory via appeal to ethnic authority!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

There is some truth in that though it is taken to racist extremes. People really do have far more of a hive mind mentality in asia.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2013, 05:38:36 AM
There is some truth in that though it is taken to racist extremes. People really do have far more of a hive mind mentality in asia.
Agree that the use of the term "hive mentality" in reference to real groups of people is racist.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Still on the first page, but wouldn't the results be different if the amount offered had the similar relative value to the Machiguenga as $100 has to Americans?

To an American, $100 is not an entirely insignificant amount, but it is definitely not a large amount, so most people would be willing to risk less than $50 for the sake of moral grandstanding. I am pretty sure if the amount to be split was $1,000,000, most Americans would also accept an amount that is significantly below the 50/50 split (e.g. I don't think many people who were offered $100,000, would be willing to "punish" the one to keep $900,000).

Edit: Ok, read further to disregard this comment.

Warspite

Do these studies also test the same people over a period of time to see whether their responses to identical situations  are consistent? I know researchers think hard about their methodology, but it would be funny if these sorts of groundbreaking studies actually only reveal that 48% of those tested were in a bad mood on a given day.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 01, 2013, 01:42:16 PM
Kinda blows away the thinking that some single way of doing things can be applied globally over all of humanity. Marketing people know this, and market products differently in different cultures. Regrettably, political activists will probably always cling to the fiction that their idea of how to do things can be successfully applied to every society in the same manner.

I disagree. If anything, the problem with modern political activists (especially on the left) is their cultural relativism and the abandonment of the great narratives of the 19th and the 20th century (so something exactly opposite to what you say they are "clinging" to). What this study does is that it offers a reality check, showing that we need to work harder in order to impose our values on different cultures. The history of the British Empire shows that it can be done, however.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on March 11, 2013, 07:38:12 AM
Do these studies also test the same people over a period of time to see whether their responses to identical situations  are consistent? I know researchers think hard about their methodology, but it would be funny if these sorts of groundbreaking studies actually only reveal that 48% of those tested were in a bad mood on a given day.

So long as the 48% figure is consistent, then it wouldn't matter.  The members of the 48% who were cranky on day one would feel uncranky on day 2, but would be replaced by newly cranky individuals.  :smarty:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on March 11, 2013, 09:38:05 AM
Quote from: Warspite on March 11, 2013, 07:38:12 AM

So long as the 48% figure is consistent, then it wouldn't matter.  The members of the 48% who were cranky on day one would feel uncranky on day 2, but would be replaced by newly cranky individuals.  :smarty:

However, the crankiness could be caused in part by the methodology of the test.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 11, 2013, 09:39:50 AM
However, the crankiness could be caused in part by the methodology of the test.

Not just the methodology - all testing changes the testees to some extent.

Bayraktar!