News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chávez dead

Started by Iormlund, March 05, 2013, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 06, 2013, 04:45:03 AM
You are joking, but the UK economy actually is in a pretty bad shape.

clearly the fault of Thatcher.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on March 06, 2013, 04:48:05 AM

Well, in a sense, yes. She was the first one who destroyed heavy industry in Britain and put all the eggs in one basket called the City - and in the current crisis this is what hurt the most.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 06, 2013, 05:11:39 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 06, 2013, 04:48:05 AM

Well, in a sense, yes. She was the first one who destroyed heavy industry in Britain and put all the eggs in one basket called the City - and in the current crisis this is what hurt the most.

true. low skill industrial jobs are what keeping the first world alive at the moment.

Zanza

How about high skill industrial jobs?

I work in a manufacturing company white collar job. If the blue collar jobs weren't here anymore, the white collar jobs wouldn't be here either.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on March 06, 2013, 06:49:07 AM
I work in a manufacturing company white collar job. If the blue collar jobs weren't here anymore, the white collar jobs wouldn't be here either.

Get yourself ready for that one, then.

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 06, 2013, 06:51:10 AM

Actually in my area of work, we have already outsourced most of the actual work to India, Belarus, Romania and other places. I guess we do less than 10% ourselves, so I am not sure if there is much more we can outsource. Our main work is to coordinate the various consultants and developers from different suppliers and do some project management.

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2013, 11:11:52 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 05, 2013, 11:04:56 PM
Elections can be stolen in many ways. The easiest and most common is to make them unfair. Viz Erdogan's threshold, Chavez' dangerous atmosphere to be an opposition politician and Putin's corruption when dealing with a completely cynical electorate. If your defense of Chavez is that he wasn't as bad as Castro then I suggest you need to look at your moral compass.
I'm not defending him. I'm saying he wasn't a dictator. If this forum was teeming with Bolivarian revolutionaries I'd be pointing out that he trashed the great democratic legacy of Betancourt, undermined his left-wing goals by tolerating corruption and often catastrophic economic policies and that he won elections through media abuse and intimidation.

But it's not. It's full of people saying he was a dictator. And he wasn't.

He was in the colloquial sense that he was a non-democratic ruler. You are setting the standard for dictatorship at mass murdering head of state. I suggest that you are trying to avoid the dissonance you would have to deal with since you see chavez as being on your side emotionally.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on March 06, 2013, 07:30:36 AM

Actually in my area of work, we have already outsourced most of the actual work to India, Belarus, Romania and other places. I guess we do less than 10% ourselves, so I am not sure if there is much more we can outsource. Our main work is to coordinate the various consultants and developers from different suppliers and do some project management.

So then a strange statement from you given that your manufacturing company has few white collar jobs where you are. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

In light of this discussion, I wonder what languish thinks of wiki's list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictator#List_of_dictators_in_modern_times
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on March 06, 2013, 07:30:36 AM

Only a matter of time before they figure out how to outsource you.  :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 11:54:17 PM
For goodness sakes - Hitler won a "free but not fair" election.  So did Mugabe.  Hell does Saddam Hussein's 99% re-election count?

You're putting too much emphasis on elections.
Not really. There's all the organisation and campaigning of the opposition that goes with those free and unfair elections. I mean of those examples and Caracas, where would you rather be an opposition activist? Or for that matter someone who simply disagrees with the regime?

QuoteHe was in the colloquial sense that he was a non-democratic ruler. You are setting the standard for dictatorship at mass murdering head of state.
Not really. I mean Castro and Hu, comparatively, weren't mass-murderers. I think dictatorships don't tolerate dissent very easily outside of occasional controlled expressions. They normally have secret polices and spy on their people (though I think Chavez got some Cuban intelligence help after 2005). They routinely and institutionally abuse human rights. They don't allow organised opposition.

QuoteI suggest that you are trying to avoid the dissonance you would have to deal with since you see chavez as being on your side emotionally.
No. I've no problem calling a left-wing dictator - Chavez or Mugabe - precisely that. I don't really have any attachment or emotion towards Chavez. He always struck me as a preposterous sideshow - both for American right-wingers and the soft left. He wasn't a threat or a hero but an autocrat who, like Putin, ended up screwing his country and leaving a mess.

I'd suggest it's your habit of not being able to oppose something without also getting morally outraged and the general internet trend to hyperbole that's behind it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I have a hard time believing subsidizing out of date and uncompetitive government owned industries is the best way to weather a financial crisis but perhaps not.  Even if they were still doing this wouldn't the City be the main source of tax funds needed?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on March 06, 2013, 02:55:36 AM

This guy smiles at your "enemies of democracy list".

He should be.  He has invested so much money in making democracy work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 06, 2013, 08:36:23 AM
No. I've no problem calling a left-wing dictator - Chavez or Mugabe - precisely that. I don't really have any attachment or emotion towards Chavez. He always struck me as a preposterous sideshow - both for American right-wingers and the soft left. He wasn't a threat or a hero but an autocrat who, like Putin, ended up screwing his country and leaving a mess.

Yep.  He only attracted attention because he barked alot.  Well and he funded those groups in Columbia that was shitty.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 08:44:27 AM

I have a hard time believing subsidizing out of date and uncompetitive government owned industries is the best way to weather a financial crisis but perhaps not.  Even if they were still doing this wouldn't the City be the main source of tax funds needed?

Apparently, Martinus thinks he would be of better use for society and economy in a coal mine than in a lawyer's office. And frankly, he is right :P