News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the best environment to raise kids?

Started by Barrister, March 05, 2013, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best environment to raise children?

Urban - high rises and diversity
6 (24%)
Suburban - nice safe subdivisions
11 (44%)
Rural - country living is good living
6 (24%)
Next door to Jaron in Utah
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2013, 03:49:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 03:35:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:33:17 PM
Like what I had as a kid.

I wonder if everyone's reaction essentially boils down to that.

I of course grew up suburban, my wife rural.

Well....even if I wanted urban I lack the piles of cash necessary to try it out.

You have the cash necessary.  I'm positive you could find a 3 bedroom apartment/condo in downtown Austin, possibly by renting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 03:06:25 PM
Then there's rural.  All of nature is your playground.  You can actually see the stars at night.  Depending on the town, you might actually not even bother locking your door at night.  But very few programs, and what is available will have you driving everywhere.
This.  Can't imagine growing up anywhere else than I did.  Even while travelling with my father, we were staying on a construction site, always lots of space.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Not sure how I'd rate where I live right now. Is it urban or suburban? It was certainly designed as a suburb.

I do have a house and a backyard, but I'm right next to the subway and shops.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

If you can get to things without driving, that's urban in my book.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 05, 2013, 04:11:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 03:06:25 PM
Then there's rural.  All of nature is your playground.  You can actually see the stars at night.  Depending on the town, you might actually not even bother locking your door at night.  But very few programs, and what is available will have you driving everywhere.
This.  Can't imagine growing up anywhere else than I did.  Even while travelling with my father, we were staying on a construction site, always lots of space.

I never thought a construction site would be the answer for raising children. Though it would have a certain Darwinian attraction ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Suburbia, close to a city but far enough from it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2013, 04:13:37 PM
I never thought a construction site would be the answer for raising children. Though it would have a certain Darwinian attraction ...  :D

It's like being raised in a circus, minus all the fun stuff.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 05, 2013, 04:15:30 PM
Suburbia, close to a city but far enough from it.

Rural enough to have trees but urban enough not to have bears.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 05, 2013, 04:13:14 PM
If you can get to things without driving, that's urban in my book.

Then I guess I'll vote urban. Unfortunately, this choice is reflected in property taxes.  :(

*Cue rant ...

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2013, 04:13:37 PM

We were one of the first houses in our part of the development, so there were a lot of houses being built on our street and the adjacent streets.  My brothers, friends & I had tons of fun exploring the constructions sites in the evenings and scavenging scraps to use to make boats for the ponds.

Ehm, probably not the *safest* places for young kids, but I guess that was before the "child safety no matter what" thing took hold.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Urban, suburban, or rural I think we can all agree that a child is best served with a house full of money.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2013, 04:33:05 PM
Urban, suburban, or rural I think we can all agree that a child is best served with a house full of money.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:33:17 PM
Like what I had as a kid.

I of course grew up suburban, my wife rural.

Not really.  My wife grew up suburban and would never move back; I grew up rural and would never move back.

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:46:17 PM

Yeah but seriously it was a friggin' childhood utopia.  I really had no idea at the time how well we had things.  Only downside was that it was in West Virginia and 3 hours away from a city with decent museums, pro sports teams, zoo, etc.

Where I'm raising my kids, it's a nice street and we have a wooded lot with a big-enough yard, but there's a little too much traffic on the street for my tastes. But on the other side, I've gotten in probably as much "city stuff" with Tommy as I had my entire childhood.

That's the same the world over.

Look at a current photo of any street in a village,town or city and one from 40 years ago and these a lot more traffic, cars on/in the roads, plus more road furniture/signage .
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive