News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the best environment to raise kids?

Started by Barrister, March 05, 2013, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best environment to raise children?

Urban - high rises and diversity
6 (24%)
Suburban - nice safe subdivisions
11 (44%)
Rural - country living is good living
6 (24%)
Next door to Jaron in Utah
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on March 05, 2013, 04:41:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 03:35:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:33:17 PM
Like what I had as a kid.

I wonder if everyone's reaction essentially boils down to that.

I of course grew up suburban, my wife rural.

Not really.  My wife grew up suburban and would never move back; I grew up rural and would never move back.

WHy's that?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Hunter gatherer environment. It's what we've evolved to live in for the last 2 million years after all. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

As weird as it sounds, I think that where we live now is perfect for raising kids. It's a good mix of all of the above. We have urban-type things like museums, great libraries, University lectures, shows, art exhibits, great diversity, and Chicago/Indy/St Louis only a 2-3 hour drive/train ride away. It's also a small enough town/city that it isn't long before you get to know people quickly and easily, and often have friends in common. We also rarely lock our doors, crime is minimal, and I have no problem with my kids being out running around. And while we're not rural ourselves, a 15-minute drive has you in the middle of rural communities and state parks.

I grew up in an urban area with a large yard and great natural places to explore, so I know that you can have those in an urban setting. I lived in the suburbs of Chicago for 13 years and hated it with every essence of my being. I haven't lived in a rural place - yet - but I can definitely see the charm of it for raising kids, so long as you're close enough to cultural stuff, too.

I guess my answer is a small city not far from larger cities, which you don't list as an option.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
Hunter gatherer environment. It's what we've evolved to live in for the last 2 million years after all. -_-

Try it for a week.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Strictly the environment, I don't think has too much impact, the more important things to get right are peer group, parenting and school influences in that order. 

For looking at the widest social conditions I'd say that means cultural and country characteristics, which we and parents don't have any direct inflence on.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on March 05, 2013, 06:15:12 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2013, 05:29:18 PM

Try it for a week.  :D

These days it's called being a "bum".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

As someone who was raised in a suburban/rural area- do not condemn your kids to that shit if you have a choice, they will hate you for it.
For young kids its fine, they aren't allowed to leave your sight anyway, but once they enter their teenage years it becomes a hell in which they are artificially trapped.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2013, 07:49:38 PM
As someone who was raised in a suburban/rural area- do not condemn your kids to that shit if you have a choice, they will hate you for it.
For young kids its fine, but once they enter their teenage years it becomes a hell in which they are artificially trapped.
Unless there's a coal mine, right?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2013, 07:50:46 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2013, 07:49:38 PM
For young kids its fine, but once they enter their teenage years it becomes a hell in which they are artificially trapped.
Unless there's a coal mine, right?

It would have given the town an economy of its own and thus made it a bit less shitty. We may even have had the fabled McDonalds.
But.....relevant much?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Rural. I think urban would be good too.

I hated the suburbs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2013, 10:49:12 PM
Rural. I think urban would be good too.

I hated the suburbs.
Wasn't that mostly ideological though?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2013, 10:50:47 PM
:lol: Partly. But I just hated it. I moved from the Highlands to a suburban town in the commuter belt. It was pretty enough and it was nice having a cinema less than a 2-3 hour drive away, but the whole place was pretty grim.

Some people I know since love it. But I don't know I think there's an excitement and joy for a kid in cities and the countryside. In the suburbs it's all just a bit more controlled and reined in. In the countryside I spent all my time cycling, my friends who grew up in London always had things to do and lived seconds from each other. In the suburbs you hang around the market square until you're old enough to start under age drinking.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 05, 2013, 11:00:58 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2013, 10:50:47 PM
:lol: Partly. But I just hated it. I moved from the Highlands to a suburban town in the commuter belt. It was pretty enough and it was nice having a cinema less than a 2-3 hour drive away, but the whole place was pretty grim.

Some people I know since love it. But I don't know I think there's an excitement and joy for a kid in cities and the countryside. In the suburbs it's all just a bit more controlled and reined in. In the countryside I spent all my time cycling, my friends who grew up in London always had things to do and lived seconds from each other. In the suburbs you hang around the market square until you're old enough to start under age drinking.

That's what people have already said about living in rural areas.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.