News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the best environment to raise kids?

Started by Barrister, March 05, 2013, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the best environment to raise children?

Urban - high rises and diversity
6 (24%)
Suburban - nice safe subdivisions
11 (44%)
Rural - country living is good living
6 (24%)
Next door to Jaron in Utah
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Barrister

Been thinking about this off and on since we moved to Edmonton.  What is the best situation to raise kids in?

There are obviously pros and cons to each.

If you're living in an "urban" area, you're probably in a condo/apartment.  No big back yard to run around in, probably much more exposure to street crime.  But living in that kind of density exposes you to a lot more diversity.  There will be far more programs and options available to you.  And possibly with so much available to you within walking distance, kids don't spend so much time in the back seat of a car.

A suburban area is the compromise.  You can have a back yard to run around in.  You still have access to a decent number of programs and options.  There will probably be less diversity than living downtown, but these days you won't find any pure whitebread suburbs (our neighbors on either side are south asian).  You will spend more time in a car.

Then there's rural.  All of nature is your playground.  You can actually see the stars at night.  Depending on the town, you might actually not even bother locking your door at night.  But very few programs, and what is available will have you driving everywhere.

So what says Languish?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Straight rural would be my choice. They'd have to get exposure to the city from time to time though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I have yet to meet a city kid (non-projects) who was poorly adjusted.

Valmy

Rural communities in the US make me think of Meth and trashy values and horrible schools.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 05, 2013, 03:30:33 PM
Rural communities in the US make me think of Meth and trashy values and horrible schools.

Meth depends on the individual community.  Schools tend to be... average.  No terrible ones, and no OMG awesome ones.

Values... that gets a bit tricky now doesn't it.  Religion is going to be stronger out in the country, now isn't it...

derspiess

Burbs all the way.  Preferably a gated community (adjacent to a golf course) with a nice big pond, swimming pool, tennis courts, and a nice wooded area to explore.  Like what I had as a kid.

Wife used to insist urban was the way to go but her time in the US has soured her on that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:33:17 PM
Like what I had as a kid.

I wonder if everyone's reaction essentially boils down to that.

I of course grew up suburban, my wife rural.

Martinus

Probably suburban. Although in the internet age it really doesn't matter anymore.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 03:35:15 PM

Yeah but seriously it was a friggin' childhood utopia.  I really had no idea at the time how well we had things.  Only downside was that it was in West Virginia and 3 hours away from a city with decent museums, pro sports teams, zoo, etc.

Where I'm raising my kids, it's a nice street and we have a wooded lot with a big-enough yard, but there's a little too much traffic on the street for my tastes.  But on the other side, I've gotten in probably as much "city stuff" with Tommy as I had my entire childhood.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:46:17 PM

Yeah but seriously it was a friggin' childhood utopia.  I really had no idea at the time how well we had things.  Only downside was that it was in West Virginia and 3 hours away from a city with decent museums, pro sports teams, zoo, etc.

Where I'm raising my kids, it's a nice street and we have a wooded lot with a big-enough yard, but there's a little too much traffic on the street for my tastes.  But on the other side, I've gotten in probably as much "city stuff" with Tommy as I had my entire childhood.

What you describe sounds fairly rural to me.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:33:17 PM
Like what I had as a kid.

I of course grew up suburban, my wife rural.

Well....even if I wanted urban I lack the piles of cash necessary to try it out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 05, 2013, 03:47:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 05, 2013, 03:46:17 PM

What you describe sounds fairly rural to me.

No.  Just a gated community with a lot of space.  We were in a suburban area east of Huntington, WV which had a little over 50,000 people and I think 250,000 in the tri-state area.  Not a big city by any means, but big enough to have suburbs.

Look up 38.416768,-82.327783 on Google Maps or whatever.